Widgets Magazine
Old 07-14-2011, 02:18 PM

Default South Africa

totally rocks! However, the flight does not. Kruger was a great experience and would have liked to spend more time in Capetown. South Africa has so much to do everywhere--even if you want to just chill--Bontebok park. I'd love to go back but 17 hours in the air is a real killer.
Sponsored links
Old 07-19-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhorn View Post
totally rocks! However, the flight does not. Kruger was a great experience and would have liked to spend more time in Capetown. South Africa has so much to do everywhere--even if you want to just chill--Bontebok park. I'd love to go back but 17 hours in the air is a real killer.
I would love to finagle a trip to SA. I work closely with a colleague on West Africa projects and he comes here from time to time but I haven't been able to get over there.

Understand the wine country around Capetown is top notch but J'burg is a pit. Of course that is where our office is. If I went i would probably get stuck in Angola, that is where the work is.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:57 AM

I'd like to see the Serengeti before they put a highway across it this next year. I did find out why wildlife likes the road so much--because it's warmer, especially during the winter when it traps in heat.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:51 PM

am reading the Bang Bang Club. Interesting book and I probably would have rethought going to SA had I read it first.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
am reading the Bang Bang Club. Interesting book and I probably would have rethought going to SA had I read it first.
Why? The events of that book are from 15-20 years ago which is a lifetime away considering where RSA is now.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntorange80917 View Post
Why? The events of that book are from 15-20 years ago which is a lifetime away considering where RSA is now.
Apartheid was cresting in the 90s which wasn't that long ago.

Last edited by mdhorn; 07-29-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I went back in 2005. Yeah, the 17-hour plane ride (I flew South African) blows: 8 hours from Atlanta to Cape Verde, an hour on the ground refueling and swapping crews, then another 8 hours to Jo'burg. We spent a couple of days in Kruger (stayed in Hazyview), did a little hunting out on the Northern Cape, and spent three days in Cape Town, specifically Camps Bay. The drive around Camps Bay down to the Cape of Good Hope is breathtaking. We also spent a day out in the wine country around Stellenbosch.

The biggest problem is all the property theft and other crime due to the high unemployment rate. Even in Cape Town you have to look over your shoulder. Out in the country, though, not much to worry about.

Last edited by cctxfan; 08-25-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
17 hours?!? I guess I'll have to pony-up for some 1st class tix to fly there.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctxfan View Post
I went back in 2005. Yeah, the 17-hour plane ride (I flew South African) blows: 8 hours from Atlanta to Cape Verde, an hour on the ground refueling and swapping crews, then another 8 hours to Jo'burg. We spent a couple of days in Kruger (stayed in Hazyview), did a little hunting out on the Northern Cape, and spent three days in Cape Town, specifically Camps Bay. The drive around Camps Bay down to the Cape of Good Hope is breathtaking. We also spent a day out in the wine country around Stellenbosch.

The biggest problem is all the property theft and other crime due to the high unemployment rate. Even in Cape Town you have to look over your shoulder. Out in the country, though, not much to worry about.
Our flight back was almost entirely hunters. Ordinarily I'd think whatever but Kruger could probably use a good cull because of the huge hordes of impalas and probably elephants so no problem there--plus in some cases the animals go to the villagers for food.

Supposedly you only see 5% of the park from the roads so we did a bunch of bush walks. Amazing how large animals are on foot-gigantic. It's also amazing how long it takes to see some animals in the dense underbrush that are long aware of your presence.

The garden route is beautiful. We stayed at Storms River two nights after Port Elizabeth and it was incredible and then down to Capetown.

Our guidebook said that if we came across flaming tires in the road to bypass or turn around but do not stop. There are lots of signs for absolutely no stopping because it's not safe. Several times in different places I though for sure we were going to blow out the tires of our car hitting giant potholes. At one point, weaving through the mountains the paved road stopped and we exited through the back of a construction site. The foreman laughed and let us through.

Crazy place but I can't wait to get back.

Cctxfan, your trip sounded great and relaxing.

Last edited by mdhorn; 01-15-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:10 PM

for entertainment purposes, here's so picts of animals in the brush which was winter when I visited.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg africa continued 064.jpg (99.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg south africa 251.jpg (103.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by mdhorn; 01-15-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2012, 11:39 AM

So what were the critters that were in the brush in those two photos?
Old 01-16-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalHorn View Post
So what were the critters that were in the brush in those two photos?
The second photo looks like it may be a cheetah and I can't see sh!t in the first one.
Edit: The first is an elephant.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhornfan View Post
The second photo looks like it may be a cheetah and I can't see sh!t in the first one.
Edit: The first is an elephant.
Ah yes, I can see the tusks in the first photo as well as the outline of the head/ears, etc.

Saw the varmint in the second photo. It is indeed spotted, so it could be a cheetah. Just wasn't sure.