Widgets Magazine

Go Back   InsideTexas Forums > Other Forums > Politics and Current Events

Old 04-14-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntorange80917 View Post
Speaking of indignant elitist pricks its about time you popped up on this thread since you are exactly the poster I had in mind when I made that comment.

My wife was a military brat so if you consider being the daughter of a career US Marine having a silver spoon in your mouth then so be it. That being said Radiologists do alright but they are far from rich c*&ksuckers that the GOP protects (which is what I was talking about).

We live in NY because 3 years after graduating from school in Texas she was working at Sears because she still had not found a full time job in her field.
WOW! Issues?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:46 PM

Question

Quote:
Speaking of indignant elitist pricks its about time you popped up on this thread since you are exactly the poster I had in mind when I made that comment.

My wife was a military brat so if you consider being the daughter of a career US Marine having a silver spoon in your mouth then so be it. That being said Radiologists do alright but they are far from rich c*&ksuckers that the GOP protects (which is what I was talking about).

We live in NY because 3 years after graduating from school in Texas she was working at Sears because she still had not found a full time job in her field.
Living in NY? Are we supposed to feel sorry for you?

You sound angry and frustrated. You would feel much better if you would start counting all your blessings. My guess is that you probably have a higher standard of living than 90% of the world.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane2 View Post

You sound angry and frustrated. You would feel much better if you would start counting all your blessings. My guess is that you probably have a higher standard of living than 90% of the world.
No kidding, if you make the average of US wages (about 46K per year) you are in the top 10% of the world. If you are a doctor specializing in radiology you are probably top 1/10 of 1% in the world and pushing being one of the evil 1% er's in this country.

But of course you can't get wealthy in this country without being evil and ripping off the downtrodden, not to mention being born into the right family. GMAFB!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:

Whining about relocating? I've done it three times. It was hard but it all worked out. Too bad you are unable to count your blessings, starting with your spouse.

Your successful wife sure teamed up with a winner.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Did you really miss his point or are you arguing for the sake of it?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane2 View Post

I never said in my original post that I was struggling to get by, I only pointed out that to the majority of Ameicans the American Dream is not reachable. Just because you, Dave, Oldest & your other right wing circle jerk buddies took it to mean something else doesn't change the fact that its the truth.

I love my life & the only thing that really gets me angry is the far right nutcases that want to restrict/take away my liberal freedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldestHorn View Post
Whining about relocating? I've done it three times. It was hard but it all worked out. Too bad you are unable to count your blessings, starting with your spouse.

Your successful wife sure teamed up with a winner.
So because I care about the well being of all Americans rather than being out for myself & my country club buddies I'm a loser???

I like NY, was just pointing out that just because someone has an education doesn't mean that they magically have a job waiting for them. Sometimes you have to move to an area where your field is in more demand other times you may not even find a job in your field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPEDTEXAN View Post
Did you really miss his point or are you arguing for the sake of it?
Honestly from a political beliefs side I just really dislike Eric & would have never posted on this thread again had he not chimed in.

Last edited by burntorange80917; 04-15-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 AM

Who said you're supposed to have a job magically waiting for you post graduation? People need to make their way in the world and that takes way more than a degree. Education is important but in most cases it's a minimum requirement. The rest is up to the individual and that requires hard work and hustle.

This Country is a fine example of a place where ANYONE (provided they don't have major disabilities) has an opportunity to succeed. It's harder for some but the path to doing well is attainable.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPEDTEXAN View Post
Who said you're supposed to have a job magically waiting for you post graduation? People need to make their way in the world and that takes way more than a degree. Education is important but in most cases it's a minimum requirement. The rest is up to the individual and that requires hard work and hustle.

This Country is a fine example of a place where ANYONE (provided they don't have major disabilities) has an opportunity to succeed. It's harder for some but the path to doing well is attainable.
Absolutely! Last I heard we have a half black president, born to a Muslim father, who's parents bailed on him, and raised by a grandparent.

Tell me again how you can't succeed unless you are born with a silver spoon in your mouth.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:

So because I care about the well being of all Americans rather than being out for myself & my country club buddies I'm a loser???

I like NY, was just pointing out that just because someone has an education doesn't mean that they magically have a job waiting for them. Sometimes you have to move to an area where your field is in more demand other times you may not even find a job in your field.

If you call whining and finger pointing at these mythical country clubbers "caring about the well being of all Americans" you're way off base. Try lending a hand at a soup kitchen or Habitat house for a few days. Maybe you'll learn about caring and service and perhaps feel a little better about yourself. You might even learn to be appreciative rather than bitter about America and more aware that helping others encompasses a little more than taxing "the rich" and hoping some government agency takes care of everything.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldestHorn View Post
If you call whining and finger pointing at these mythical country clubbers "caring about the well being of all Americans" you're way off base. Try lending a hand at a soup kitchen or Habitat house for a few days. Maybe you'll learn about caring and service and perhaps feel a little better about yourself. You might even learn to be appreciative rather than bitter about America and more aware that helping others encompasses a little more than taxing "the rich" and hoping some government agency takes care of everything.
My take on this discussion is that burntorange80917 is a massively kickass patriot who hates lies of any kind. Who does like country club softies who could care less about their fellow man? No one, I think, except other country club softies. Here's the real deal. Like all the Democrat phonies before him, Obama is himself a country club softie who likes to throw big parties, ride around in limousines, and send his wife and her entourage on all-expense paid trips to the Spanish riviera. Where is his commitment to education reform? Where is his commitment to energy independence? Where is his commitment to getting our soldiers out of a no-win death trap in Afghanistan? There is no such commitment. It doesn't exist. You can look for it, but you won't find it. It's all talk.

Obama's one overriding concern is getting reelected and nothing more. He got elected the first time by spinning the big lies of Change We Can Believe In and the Audacity of Hope. Where is that change? Where is that hope? There is no real change, and there is no real hope. There is only more debt and the false prosperity of borrowed money, and that's not anything that anyone can believe in. Unfortunately, if Obama is reelected, there is very little reason to believe that things will be any better four years from now than they are today, and they could be much worse.

It's clearly time for real change and real hope, but where will that come from? Not from the Republican party of Karl Rove and Rush Limbaugh, that's for sure. The politics of ignorance, stupidity, hatred, divisiveness, and inertia is dead. It's time for the politics of real hope, real innovation, real action, and real change, and the only foundation for that is hard truth, hard work, and real love. We need education reform, and energy reform, and, yes, fiscal responsibility. America needs to go to work and develop all our amazing energy resources in oil, natural gas, coal, wind, and solar, and we need a government that will help us do that instead of hinder our progess. In that way, and in that way alone, we can begin to cut the fatal umbilical cord that now ties us to foreign oil and the hopeless and interminable foreign wars that go with it. Cheap foreign oil is an addictive lie, and we need to move beyond it, whatever the cost.

Is Romney up to that task? Let's hope so. Otherwise he will get flattened by the Obama steamroller and its billion dollar war chest. The one glimmer of hope in the entire picture is that Romney is not the usual Republican. If he gets the nomination it will be a revolution of sorts in its own right. And perhaps that in itself would be the real beginning of change we can believe in. Ultimately, Romney is going to have to challenge the Obama Lie Machine and destroy it one piece at a time. If he can do that, he has a chance to win. And if Romney wins, the American people have a chance to avoid four more disastrous years of more lies and more debt.

Yes We Can doesn't have to be a lie. It can be a promise filled with hope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsV2O4fCgjk

And we the American people can make it happen...

with the right leadership.

Last edited by GammaEta67; 04-16-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 PM

If a tax increase on those making over $1M a year can be defined as redistributing wealth, then certainly the opposite must also be true.

So the Bush tax cuts redistributed a huge amount of wealth from today’s taxpayers to tomorrow’s taxpayers.

In fact, every tax cut during a Republican administration in my life time has redistributed wealth from current taxpayers to future taxpayers. However, I bet dollars to donuts that not a single one of them would have stated that their intent was to redistribute wealth.

In contrast, Clinton passed the largest tax increase in history and actually almost stopped the redistribution of wealth from current taxpayers to future taxpayers. And oh by the way, the very wealthy, and the upper middle class like me did very well during his Administration notwithstanding that my marginal rate rose slightly.

The exact opposite occurred for the wealthy including me after the Bush cuts. Just in 2008, the wealthy lost more in one year than they would save in taxes from the Bush cuts for at least 50 years.

I have lived the American Dream. My Dad got a degree paid for by the government and purchased a home with a loan guaranteed by the government. My parents also guessed correctly and purchased the home in an area that built a great public school district. After receiving a public education that allowed me to place out of 1 ½ years of college, I attended a greatest public university in the world for next do nothing and then received a graduate degree from the same great institution that has allowed me to earn a very good living without really working very hard.

My salary this year was easily in the top 5% of US income earners and I will pay 17% of my income in FIT. I think it is one of the great bargains of all time to get to live in this great country for only 17%, which is significantly lower than my Dad paid or I paid back in the 70s and 80s when life was also very good.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denali100 View Post
If a tax increase on those making over $1M a year can be defined as redistributing wealth, then certainly the opposite must also be true.

So the Bush tax cuts redistributed a huge amount of wealth from today’s taxpayers to tomorrow’s taxpayers.

In fact, every tax cut during a Republican administration in my life time has redistributed wealth from current taxpayers to future taxpayers. However, I bet dollars to donuts that not a single one of them would have stated that their intent was to redistribute wealth.

In contrast, Clinton passed the largest tax increase in history and actually almost stopped the redistribution of wealth from current taxpayers to future taxpayers. And oh by the way, the very wealthy, and the upper middle class like me did very well during his Administration notwithstanding that my marginal rate rose slightly.

The exact opposite occurred for the wealthy including me after the Bush cuts. Just in 2008, the wealthy lost more in one year than they would save in taxes from the Bush cuts for at least 50 years.

I have lived the American Dream. My Dad got a degree paid for by the government and purchased a home with a loan guaranteed by the government. My parents also guessed correctly and purchased the home in an area that built a great public school district. After receiving a public education that allowed me to place out of 1 ½ years of college, I attended a greatest public university in the world for next do nothing and then received a graduate degree from the same great institution that has allowed me to earn a very good living without really working very hard.

My salary this year was easily in the top 5% of US income earners and I will pay 17% of my income in FIT. I think it is one of the great bargains of all time to get to live in this great country for only 17%, which is significantly lower than my Dad paid or I paid back in the 70s and 80s when life was also very good.
Glad to have you aboard, Denali. Your parents made some wise choices and so did you. Many others were not so wise or so lucky. Education is the key, and over the last forty years America has dropped from number one in math and science to number 16 and number 24 respectively. The prosperity that we have all enjoyed will not continue unless we reverse this disastrous trend.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 AM

I agree that education is the key to a successful country. We have made up for poor education of our kids by successfully attracting highly educated and highly motivated immigrants, but it will not last.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
I agree that education is the key to a successful country. We have made up for poor education of our kids by successfully attracting highly educated and highly motivated immigrants, but it will not last.
Why not? It can last if we adjust our immigration policies
Old 04-16-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
And the least educated come here, as well. there is an interesting cost/ benefit to immigration. We studied it in an economics class one of my junior years. It only made sense for the least educated and most educated to move to the US, given the cost of moving and the presumed benefit of the same.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:

I was attempting to avoid commenting on anything else in the Politics forum but the above is description of transfer of wealth is just so unbelievably wrong.

The true generational transfer of wealth generated by the federal government is from the future to the past. Huge unfunded liabilities were created by, but not limited to, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, PPACA & the stimulus package. The "transfer" to due any tax increase/decrease pales in comparison.

Clinton gets a lot of undeserved credit for the robust economy of the mid 90's. The internet drove the mob mentality boom, but it was clearly (yes this is hindsight now) unsustainable. And the drop (not disappearance) helped fuel the recession of the late 90's/early 00's.