Widgets Magazine
Old 05-16-2012, 10:07 PM

Default Rick Perry vs. Powers

Can someone explain to me what Powers is arguing against Perry and what it means for UT? I'm a student at UT but I'm very naive when it comes to politics...
Sponsored links
Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 PM

The short version: Perry's cronies are trying to force a dissenting voice(Powers) out of office because he's trying to cover the gap between state funding & budget requirements through tuition increases(which have been granted to every other branch of the UT system) & Powers voiced his displeasure at what he thinks is unfair policy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrown View Post
They thought they had Saban a year ago.
They thought they had Mack gone six months ago.
They thought they had Luck two months ago.
They thought they had Saban five weeks ago.
They thought they had Saban hours ago.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:29 PM

BWG,
You forgot the part about Perry being a complete jizz bag....
Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhorn View Post
BWG,
You forgot the part about Perry being a complete jizz bag....
My bad.
Quote:
Old 05-16-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterwhiteguy View Post
My bad.
I mean, I understand that it's pretty much a given, but still, it bears mentioning.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardFrancis View Post
Can someone explain to me what Powers is arguing against Perry and what it means for UT? I'm a student at UT but I'm very naive when it comes to politics...
The state of Texas has budgetary issues to deal with. Additionally, tuition has been rising at twice the rate of inflaiton for some time now. I realize almost everyone including myself thinks Perry is a major douche bag and a political opportunist of the highest degree. But even he is capable of stumbling upon good ideas, even if by accident -- as the saying goes, even a blind hog finds an acorn. Perry is endorsing the higher educaiton reform ideas of Jeff Sandefer. These ideas go against the establishment and would reform academia as we know it. Whether that's good or bad is personal opinion. Here are Sandefer's ideas in his own words:

http://timesoftexas.com/2011/07/25/i...jeff-sandefer/
Old 05-17-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhorn View Post
I mean, I understand that it's pretty much a given, but still, it bears mentioning.
I thought it was on his business cards.
Quote:
Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 PM

First of all, I'm happy to see this in the political section, rather than the football one.

Second, here's a more nuanced view of the conflict, given in part because I sincerely believe it to be true and in part because I find the discussion interesting.

We can climb into our way-back machine to discuss the merits/de-merits of tuition deregulation generally (if the OP is now in college, I shudder to think of how hold he/she was in 2003); but the bottom line is that the state's leaders made a short-term-gain-long-term-pain decision then, and are trying to cover their tracks with arm-twisting now. Shocker. They're politicians.

The other side of that coin, though, is that it is neither Governor Perry's nor Sandefer's job to maintain a productive working relationship with Bill Powers, or for that matter the president of any state university. It *is* very much the university presidents' job to maintain a working relationship with the leadership of this state. Put more specifically, the Governor's office is a Primary Relationship for Powers to keep, and it at least appears that he failed to keep it. That failure has consequences that, whether desirable or not, are predictable.

Is the rift fixable? I'm in the camp of those that think so, at least if Cigaroa is willing to spend the political capital required to fix it, and especially if someone like McCombs is willing to play intermediary. If it's not fixable then the very blunt truth is that Powers's continued presence will not best serve The University's interests.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:44 PM

mclovin...well said.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Banned

There's another alternative -- Perry can go. Maybe it's time for UT alumni to understand that Rick Perry's presence as governor is inconsistent with having a world class state university.
Sponsored links
Old 05-17-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueHorn View Post
There's another alternative -- Perry can go. Maybe it's time for UT alumni to understand that Rick Perry's presence as governor is inconsistent with having a world class state university.
By all means, participate, vote etc. Dewhurst will be in the Senate, so that's off the table; but Abbott is a smart guy and I expect he doesn't want to be AG forever. That said, this is a deeply, unapologetically red state, where "no new taxes" is unlikely to fade as a mantra. Further, I've met a fair number of politicians in my life, and I've yet to meet a single one that isn't thin-skinned, hard to work with, easily offended, etc. Those may not be fair waters, but they're the ones that exist and Powers is paid well to navigate them.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovin View Post
By all means, participate, vote etc. Dewhurst will be in the Senate, so that's off the table; but Abbott is a smart guy and I expect he doesn't want to be AG forever. That said, this is a deeply, unapologetically red state, where "no new taxes" is unlikely to fade as a mantra. Further, I've met a fair number of politicians in my life, and I've yet to meet a single one that isn't thin-skinned, hard to work with, easily offended, etc. Those may not be fair waters, but they're the ones that exist and Powers is paid well to navigate them.
Abbott will run for Lt. Gov.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctxfan View Post
Abbott will run for Lt. Gov.
Certainly possible, but there are only a couple of senators that would step down willingly after serving in the interim. The rest would very likely want to keep it, and 2 years is a pretty good head start.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
TH, you may be a little premature. Cruz is gaining in the polls.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:16 PM

The majority of Regents have been major contributors to Perry's campaigns. This alone makes me question, not only their integrity, but their intelligence too. Essentially, we have a BOR madeup of Perry's cronies, which means that their allegiance to the University is suspect and their overall credibility is trashed. They are essentially lobbyists for personal gain. Maybe its always been this way politically and I just didn't know it. However, it becomes more significant when our Governor is a jizz-jar swilling neanderthal.

James Dannenbaum $352,000
Eugene Powell (chairman) $55,000
Paul Foster $419,000
Robert Stillwell $110,000
Wallace Hall $15,000
Brenda Pejovich $49,000

And the douche who is pushing the "reform" program:

Jeff Sandefer $408,000

http://www.texastribune.org/library/...paign-finance/
Old 05-19-2012, 09:39 AM

Planobob, the governor appoints the recent so it stands to reason that the pool of appointees would come from contributors. Twas always thus, I'd wager.

Speaking of the tribune, their podcast went up yesterday and is worth a listen for those curious about this. There was at least some thought on the panel that this was largely a tempest in a Burka brewed teapot.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Planobob, the governor appoints the recent so it stands to reason that the pool of appointees would come from contributors. Twas always thus, I'd wager.

Speaking of the tribune, their podcast went up yesterday and is worth a listen for those curious about this. There was at least some thought on the panel that this was largely a tempest in a Burka brewed teapot.
Blame it on a nice bottle of keipersol merlot followed by Glenmorangie scotch, bu you didn't provide a quote, I can't find a previous comment in this thread by me and at this moment I want the rangers to beat the Astros. So what in the heck are you responding to.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:23 AM

Former Sec of Defense Gates: UT lucky to have Powers.

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-ed...d-have-powers/
Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBob View Post
Former Sec of Defense Gates: UT lucky to have Powers.

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-ed...d-have-powers/
This was interesting to me. Not especially surprising that Secretary Gates respects Powers, but interesting nonetheless that he chose the timing and forum to express his support.

From the politicos I've been able to talk to, this looks mostly blown over now; and I still think it may have been as much about Burka looking to rouse the UT rabble as anything. I suppose we'll get a much clearer picture as to the health of the relationship come January-May of 2013.