Widgets Magazine
Old 04-15-2011, 01:17 PM

Default Anyone travel a lot for work?

I did some traveling for work for about a month earlier this year(DFW<->Orlando) so I've got a bit of experience with this, but my next project may have me commuting to Seattle every week for up to 6 months so I'm soliciting any tips/suggestions on how best to handle that travel load. I'm not one that enjoys that much travel, so anything I can do to streamline things/make the process more enjoyable would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrown View Post
They thought they had Saban a year ago.
They thought they had Mack gone six months ago.
They thought they had Luck two months ago.
They thought they had Saban five weeks ago.
They thought they had Saban hours ago.
Sponsored links
Old 04-15-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterwhiteguy View Post
I did some traveling for work for about a month earlier this year(DFW<->Orlando) so I've got a bit of experience with this, but my next project may have me commuting to Seattle every week for up to 6 months so I'm soliciting any tips/suggestions on how best to handle that travel load. I'm not one that enjoys that much travel, so anything I can do to streamline things/make the process more enjoyable would be appreciated.
Good luck, I travelled a lot for about 5 years and my daughter travelled almost constantly for her first 5 years working. We were both ready to give it up and I took a more local job and she has just accepted a job with the client company she did the majority of her consulting work with.

That being said there are some benefits, both of us took the opportunity to spend weekends in interesting places. Most companies will fly you wherever you want to go within reason on the weekends, so instead of going home, you can go somewhere else, or stick around Seattle and they will typically put you up there for free since they are saving airfare. You will accumulate tons of air and hotel points. My daughter traded them in on Pottery Barn gift cards and furnished her house. I would take the family on vacation.

I don't know if you need dress clothes but a good trick is to drop them off at the cleaner on Friday and pick them up when you return on Monday. That way you don't have to shlep them with you every weekend.

Travelling is interesting but it will wear on you after a while. Enjoy it as long as possible and make the best of it. Getting someone else to pay the freight is the best way to see the world.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout3dave View Post
Good luck, I travelled a lot for about 5 years and my daughter travelled almost constantly for her first 5 years working. We were both ready to give it up and I took a more local job and she has just accepted a job with the client company she did the majority of her consulting work with.

That being said there are some benefits, both of us took the opportunity to spend weekends in interesting places. Most companies will fly you wherever you want to go within reason on the weekends, so instead of going home, you can go somewhere else, or stick around Seattle and they will typically put you up there for free since they are saving airfare. You will accumulate tons of air and hotel points. My daughter traded them in on Pottery Barn gift cards and furnished her house. I would take the family on vacation.

I don't know if you need dress clothes but a good trick is to drop them off at the cleaner on Friday and pick them up when you return on Monday. That way you don't have to shlep them with you every weekend.

Travelling is interesting but it will wear on you after a while. Enjoy it as long as possible and make the best of it. Getting someone else to pay the freight is the best way to see the world.
THAT is genius. I don't know why that never crossed my mind before.
Quote:
Old 04-15-2011, 01:50 PM

Smile

I traveled the US for 23 years. Most of the time, it was from Tn to the southwest, midwest, southeast, northeast. These were shorter trips and I was at home weekends. When I had to spend more than a week in N. England or the west coast, I usually just stayed out there. I would stay from 3-5 weeks on the west coast. That allowed me to do fun things and small side trips having nothing to do with work. I found that flying back always was worse on my body than flying out there. Doing it every weekend would be a killer.

You might also think about having your wife or girlfriend fly out there for a nice change of pace.

Scout gave some good advice about clothes. Travel light. Do get out of Seattle some. It's a great town with depressing weather. Spokane, Vancouver, Portland, and Reno make good side trips. A short hop to Cal. opens up another world.

While in Seattle, be sure to try a bucket of clams in garlic butter. With a cold brew, its a good bet that you will come back for more.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENHORN View Post
You might also think about having your wife or girlfriend fly out there for a nice change of pace.
Just not both at the same time!

Unless they are game!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:04 AM

Well, I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling to Seattle. I've spent the morning stacking rewards programs on top of each other to the point I may actually tear a hole in the space-time continuum.

Oh, and I've started putting my resume out there as well. Screw 100% travel for 9-12 months.
Quote:
Old 05-18-2011, 04:58 PM

A lot of things have changed in the past couple of weeks, not the least of which is me deciding to make an honest attempt at finishing out this project after work offered a retention bonus for making it a year commuting to Seattle(and I haven't even threatened to quit...yet). So I'm trying to make the best of things, which may or may not work out. I'll be racking up 13k+ miles/month on American so I'll be blowing through status upgrades in short order(thanks to their platinum challenge), which will help ease the pain of this 3,300 mile weekly commute. Combine that with the hotel points I'm earning, I'll be in good shape for a vacation at the end of this.
Quote:
Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Banned

I had a similar experience where I spent the better part of a year full time in SoCal. The weekly grind got to me so I started spending every other weekend there. It made the experience much more enjoyable, especially as I made new friends and connected with old ones out there. Granted, your family situation may not allow it but it was far more civilized avoiding the weekly round trip.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldestHorn View Post
I had a similar experience where I spent the better part of a year full time in SoCal. The weekly grind got to me so I started spending every other weekend there. It made the experience much more enjoyable, especially as I made new friends and connected with old ones out there. Granted, your family situation may not allow it but it was far more civilized avoiding the weekly round trip.
I may do that later in the summer, actually.
Quote:
Old 05-19-2011, 06:07 PM

I travel a good bit for work, but not that damned much. Thank goodness. I was in a hotel about 40 nights last yar, but it will only be around 25-30 from here on out after i moved. The bad part about my travel is leaving from San Antonio or Austin means Southwest almost exclusively (no upgrades). I do get upgraded on AA most of the time when i get to fly it, and it sure as hell makes the DFW - SeaTac flight more bearable. I make that one a couple of times a year.
Sponsored links
Old 05-21-2011, 06:49 PM

BWG, I fly 125 segments a year on American, and I've been Executive Platinum for several years. Once you get to that level, the bennies are really nice. I get upgraded 90% of the time, and there's no rationing (I don't have to pay for them). You also get double miles every trip, and you get 8 systemwide upgrades a year that you can use on anything on AA. Want to upgrade Europe or Asia? Use these.

Burt Reynolds
Old 06-02-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post
BWG, I fly 125 segments a year on American, and I've been Executive Platinum for several years. Once you get to that level, the bennies are really nice. I get upgraded 90% of the time, and there's no rationing (I don't have to pay for them). You also get double miles every trip, and you get 8 systemwide upgrades a year that you can use on anything on AA. Want to upgrade Europe or Asia? Use these.
How's the upgrade out of DFW? I hear that's the hardest upgrade to land since it's an AA hub.

Right now I'm thinking I'll hit EXP sometime in December. I think I need to fly 24 of the next 30 weeks to make it happen by end of calendar year, which is possible given how this project is playing out. I'm getting hosed on points since the travel agency books me in the cheapest code they can find, but I'm still getting the miles.

My current victory is that I've convinced the hotel to supply me with an Xbox in my room when I stay with them. I'll bring my own games & the hard drive from my 360(so I can access my saved games, for instance), but they're supplying the console & hooking it into the TV for me.

Quote:
Old 06-09-2011, 11:17 AM

Long domestic routes like the East Coast or Seattle can be tough, even for an EXP, but I still get upgraded more often than not on those. The problem for you is going to be that the hardest upgrades are the weekly travel routes, in other words going out early in the week and coming back Thursday or Friday afternoon. Those are highly traveled by elite members, plus people that will actually pay for first class.

If you are EXP and can travel a little bit off peak, say going Monday afternoon instead of morning, or coming back at 6 AM or on Saturday afternoon, you'll almost always get the upgrade.

Burt Reynolds
Old 07-15-2011, 01:45 PM

1st platinum flight, 1st upgrade. POW!

p.s. On the Border: Schwarzenegger :: Airport On the Border: Danny DeVito
Quote:
Old 07-15-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:

p.s. On the Border: Schwarzenegger :: Airport On the Border: Danny DeVito
If you're talking about the restaurant "On The Border" it's more like: On The Border: DeVito's nut sack and Airport On The Border: ingrown hair on DeVito's nut sack.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhornfan View Post
If you're talking about the restaurant "On The Border" it's more like: On The Border: DeVito's nut sack and Airport On The Border: ingrown hair on DeVito's nut sack.
It was only a relative comparison. On the Border is OK, but forgettable Mexican food.
Quote:
Old 07-15-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
It was only a relative comparison.
So was mine.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:21 PM

A few years ago, I was flying the from DC to either PHX or SFO every week, sometimes the triangle (DC-PHX-SFO-DC), for 6 months. Plus a "side" trip to UK and another to NZ. Needless to say, I was United Global Exec in no time. Unfortunately, my daughter wasn't a year old yet, so I missed a lot.

Now, my travel is 2-3 days about once per month. Last year, about 60 hotel nights. So far this year, only 18.

Hard core travel has its benefits and drawbacks. Some people really like it, others not so much.

Another option that some hotels used to do is let you have the room for a monthly rate, then you don't have to pack on Friday's. They were a lot more flexible about this 8-10 years ago. I haven't had a need, so don't know now.

Good luck being "Up in the Air"!
Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 PM

You might think about renting an apartment. I did that in Tulsa and Witchita and Houston many years ago, when I was on 6 month projects and staying 4-5 nights a week. Makes things MUCH easier, especially having a kitchen where you can keep some staples, beer, etc.

Beware, you may have to file WA state taxes.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethornz View Post
Makes things MUCH easier, especially having a kitchen where you can keep some staples, beer, etc.
That's redundant -- beer is a staple.
Sponsored links