Widgets Magazine

Go Back   InsideTexas Forums > Free Forums > Inside The Humidor (Free)

Old 01-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Special Contributor

Default Cigarettes On MEj and DGB From the Big Cigar

I talked to the Big Cigar after we published his report Tuesday night; he made it a point to call me back yesterday for a couple of points of clarification. I guess he didn't think the tone of our readership was excited enough about the prospects of landing the two 5-star prospects still on the Texas board.

He said, "I don't think your readers get how likely it is that DGB signs with Texas. Most of the comments I read on your site seemed to have a negative tone about landing this young man. I've been telling you all along that this is a two horse race between Texas and Arkansas, and if Texas had an established QB this wouldn't be a coin flip, it would be 100% Texas. He likes us that much. You can post that."

Wow.

The Big Cigar also said that Mario Edwards is still texting with current commits and players as we reported before, and that's a good sign. But he wanted to reiterate the job that Manny Diaz has done in this recruitment as being the most important factor. In other words, the Cigar wanted to clarify how important Manny's "sales" presentation was in turning the tide of this recruiting race.

"For most of Edwards' recruitment prior to the Texas visit, any school that told or hinted at Mario eventually growing into a defensive tackle fell way behind in the race--that is until Manny sat down with Edwards and his father. Manny Diaz flat told those two that Edwards was going to be playing DT in Texas' scheme. But he also said Edwards would play some on the edge, some as a blitzing LB, and sometimes even in coverage in a fire zone. The point is that Manny was completely honest with the Edwards family, and then he sealed the deal by popping in the film of examples throughout the season. Now other schools are having to play catch up because Edwards and his father know in their hearts that Junior is going to grow into a DT which will be his position in the NFL. Manny Diaz just found a way to navigate the position question landmines."

Wow again.

Last edited by Jesus Shuttlesworth; 01-12-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2012, 10:42 AM

Firsties! I love it.

Great work Jesus!

If we land these two, we will be filthy to play. Gah, that's just what I needed as I fought off a bout of Food poisoning. Damn Cheese Enchiladas..
Me: "Damnit.."
Old 01-12-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth View Post
I talked to the Big Cigar after we published his report Tuesday night--he made it a point to call me back yesterday for a couple of points of clarification. I guess he didn't think the tone of our readership was excited enough about the prospects of landing the two 5-star prospects still on the Texas board.

He said, "I don't think your readers get how likely it is that DGB signs with Texas. All I read on your site seemed to have a negative tone with this young man. I've been telling you all along that this is a two horse race between Texas and Arkansas, and if Texas had an established QB this wouldn't be a coin flip, it would be 100% Texas. He likes us that much. You can post that."

Wow.

The Big Cigar also reports that while Mario Edwards is still texting with current commits and players as we reported before. He wanted to reiterate the job that Manny Diaz did in his recruitment. He also wanted to clarify how important Manny's "sales" presentation was in turning the tide of this recruitment.

"For most of Edwards recruitment, any school that told or hinted at Mario eventually growing into defensive tackle fell way behind in the race--that is until Manny sat down with Edwards and his father. Manny Diaz flat told those two that Edwards was going to be playing DT in Texas scheme. But he also said Edwards would play some on the edge, some as a blitzing LB, and sometimes even coverage in a fire zone. The point is that Manny was completely honest with the Edwards family, and then he sealed the deal popping in the film. Now other schools are having to play catch up because Edwards and his father know in their hearts that Jr. is going to grow into a DT which will be his position in the NFL. Manny Diaz just found a way to navigate the landmines."

Wow again.
Thanks!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:43 AM

Absolutey WOW....twice!!

I have been waiting anxiously for this report and am thrilled with the "clarification"!!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 AM

Kick ass news! Thanks!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 AM

And the bellyaching about Bo Wallace, et. al begins in 3, 2, ....
Old 01-12-2012, 10:46 AM

Horns up bitches, lets do this.

Formerly known as "throwdest in the game"

”New crib, Lofton. Where is that? Austin. Where is that? Texas. well who's Maybach is this? Mr. West's.”-Kanye West.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 AM

Film of Okafor in his drops and Whaley in the jailbreak blitz should be convincing that we let our D lineman do everything.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 AM

No way a classy guy like el Gran Cohiba is smoking cigarettes or passing them out for that matter.

I'd change the name for his small quick tidbits to lanceros, panetelas, or petit coronas.

Last edited by CMDR; 01-12-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth View Post
He said, "I don't think your readers get how likely it is that DGB signs with Texas."
Oh, I get it. If I were DGB, and it came down to Ark or Texas, I would go with Texas for several different reasons.

I just don't want to think about it too much for fear of being disappointed.

Ditto Edwards (and Edwards remains committed to another party anyway).
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2012, 11:12 AM

The negative tone most people are exhibiting likely has more to do with how people cope with uncertainty. They're naturally negative to protect themselves from disappointment and outside ridicule.

I'm cautiously optimistic to fairly positive.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 AM

I had a dream about a week ago that both DGB and ME committed to Texas.

Of course, I also recently had a dream that I was Batman, fighting the Joker in Arkam Asylum. The coolest part was that I got to jump off of a tower with absolutely no fear, knowing my cape would help me glide. (Yes, I'm a woman. No, I don't play the video game. I have no idea where that dream came from.)

Quote:
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:16 AM

Jesus, do u think the manner in which tx took care of gg helps us in the recruitment of dgb? We can show that under the worst circumstances mack still took care of gg. He is setup pretty nicely for his future regardles of his future football success. I don think arky is in the same position and if i was a parent of a recruit like that i would value that tremendously.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytopia32 View Post

Of course, I also recently had a dream that I was Batman, fighting the Joker in Arkam Asylum. The coolest part was that I got to jump off of a tower with absolutely no fear, knowing my cape would help me glide. (Yes, I'm a woman. No, I don't play the video game. I have no idea where that dream came from.)
This might be one of the best posts i've ever seen. 2 points awarded to you madam.
Me: "Damnit.."
Old 01-12-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:

Mytopia, is that you in your pic?

OU Sucks!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:18 AM

Tell your compadre that our track record with OOS recruits in January is the primary reason why we have a hard time getting excited about DGB.

Also tell him there was a lot of excitement on IT after their visits when it appeared that we were leading for Edwards and really were in the hunt for DGB. It's now hold your breath time until they decide.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueLonghornFan View Post
Easy there killa. This is why we can't have nice things here.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Yep. I was going to put the same one I have over at BC, with my dog wearing a pair of Longhorn glasses, but I figured I'd change it up a bit. That is my "Bevo My Valentine" shirt.

Quote:
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Yep. I was going to put the same one I have over at BC, with my dog wearing a pair of Longhorn glasses, but I figured I'd change it up a bit. That is my "Bevo My Valentine" shirt.
You will soon find out that IT is overrun with dirty old men.
Sponsored links