Widgets Magazine
Old 10-31-2008, 08:43 PM

Default Couple tips for those new to vbulletin

I thought I'd pass along a couple quick tips to make your IT forum experience a little better.

1) Disabling forum subscription. This is turned on by default and can be annoying as it can bombard you with email if they change the subscription setting. Go into your user cp(top left of the screen), click 'edit options', and change default subscription mode to 'do not subscribe'.

2) While you're on that page, scroll down to 'number of posts per page' and set it to 40. It gets more posts on a page and means less clicking through threads.

3) On the same page, you can change your time zone as well to reflect Central time zone.

4) Also, the 'new posts' button on the top of the screen will soon be your friend.

Hope those help.
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2008, 08:59 PM

Thanks 77.

I mentioned this on another thread but it's also a good idea to go to the bottom of the "Edit Options" page and switch to "Enhanced WSYIWYG" in that very last box -- makes it much easier to post in ital/bold/other fonts, add graphics, etc, without all the changes showing onscreen as HTML code before you post.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:01 PM

Huh? Y'all are speaking Greek to me. Any translators out there?
Old 10-31-2008, 09:04 PM

Augusta,

Try this page;

http://insidetexas.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode
"My experience is that no matter how good a team might play in any given season, you don’t want to take it for granted the next season,” Garrido said. “They ate a lot of verbal ice cream during the course of the summer. Now we’re gonna have to see how willing they are to get back to the hard work that allowed them to have the confidence to develop into a championship team.”
Old 10-31-2008, 09:24 PM

Hookem77 & editionshield,

As the Chinese man said to me as I told him how to stiff the broads at the Yellow Rose on total number of table dances danced, 'You are fart smella.' I told him I was a smart fella as well.

It'll take some time to get accustomed to the new board, by what's time to a hog.

Fluck Tech!

Hook'em!
"I think people miss a little something on Ridge but it appears to me he has a quiet intensity that flashes at times. If you watch him in pursuit it becomes more apparent to me --- it's like he's thinking 'I didn't run all this way to not hit anything so you are up, sport'." ~ Coach V on 10/13/14
Old 11-01-2008, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWIYTC View Post
Hookem77 & editionshield,

As the Chinese man said to me as I told him how to stiff the broads at the Yellow Rose on total number of table dances danced, 'You are fart smella.' I told him I was a smart fella as well.

It'll take some time to get accustomed to the new board, by what's time to a hog.

Fluck Tech!

Hook'em!
TW, I think you'll grow to like this bulletin board software. It's not nearly as buggy as Scout's and has a ton of users all over the internet that contribute upgrades & suggestions. It's good stuff, though it has a little bit of a learning curve.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem77 View Post
TW, I think you'll grow to like this bulletin board software. It's not nearly as buggy as Scout's and has a ton of users all over the internet that contribute upgrades & suggestions. It's good stuff, though it has a little bit of a learning curve.
Thanks Hookem and ES, it takes some of us old dogs a while with these new tricks!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:04 AM

What does it mean if I'm subscribed" to a thread? Does that just mean I've posted on that one? I've turned off any kind of email notifications (except from admin).
Old 11-01-2008, 08:11 AM

Default You are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem77 View Post

Absolutely true. OUInsider made the change about 2 years ago and it has been a god send. They jump ship about the time Scout went to the new format. Depending on how Clendon sets it up this is a very powerful format. You can easily embed you tube videos, support nice avatars, link in an easier fashion and posting pics is a snap. Clendon's/ESPN's format is years ahead of Scouts POS. I like it because I am a MAC user and with Safari this board rocks because I am not blocked out of all the editing tools.

DD
"Seven blunders of the world that lead to violence: wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, worship without sacrifice, politics without principle," - Mahatma Gandhi.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:37 AM

Is the Avatar Off??
"My experience is that no matter how good a team might play in any given season, you don’t want to take it for granted the next season,” Garrido said. “They ate a lot of verbal ice cream during the course of the summer. Now we’re gonna have to see how willing they are to get back to the hard work that allowed them to have the confidence to develop into a championship team.”
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2008, 08:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to amykros Send a message via Skype™ to amykros

Clendon is working on getting this fixed.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texhorns98 View Post
What does it mean if I'm subscribed" to a thread? Does that just mean I've posted on that one? I've turned off any kind of email notifications (except from admin).
far as i've been able to tell, it just means you've posted to it, yeah. though i could be wrong....

hey, clendon's wife is taking part now. fun for the whole family!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by editionshield View Post
far as i've been able to tell, it just means you've posted to it, yeah. though i could be wrong....

hey, clendon's wife is taking part now. fun for the whole family!
Yea, the default is whenever you post to a thread you're "subscribed" to it, meaning if you had the email notification turned on you would get an email every time somebody replied to the thread. You can imagine how out of control your email would get if you were subscribed to a game thread or similar. It's just easier to turn it off.