GoT Final Season

Discussion in 'OT: Trivial Pursuits' started by rawb_stark, Jan 14, 2019.

1. rawb_stark

rawb_stark Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Anyone re-watching before the final season? Anyone watching for the first time? I think I will begin my re-watch the Sunday after the CGG when my Sundays free up substantially.

A show this great deserves its own thread IMO.

Link to latest trailer:

https://twitter.com/GameOfThrones/status/1084631184804433921

timeontarget, hobbes and Turnbo828 like this.
  2. Robert STRONG

Robert STRONG Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Just finished S2 of my own re-watch. If you start now, you can make it with 1 episode every weekday (plus 2).

[​IMG]

timeontarget and rawb_stark like this.
  3. Turnbo828

Turnbo828 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Can’t wait!

texvet16 likes this.
  4. rodofdisaster

rodofdisaster Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Love the show. Watching since day one.

Have any of you seen the show "Bodyguard" on Netflix? It's a British show starring none other than Richard Madden who played Robb Stark in GoT. He's basically a secret service type agent for the Home Secretary.

OK. Favorite characters? 1. Khaleesi 2. Khaleesi 3. Khaleesi 4. Ygritte 5. Jon Snow 6. Tyrion Lannister

Turnbo828 and Robert STRONG like this.
  5. HornsWin

HornsWin Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Favorite characters: 1.) Jon Snow because he is the closest thing to an honorable man in Westeros; 2.) the wildling with the big beard because he's awesome; 3.) the former leader of the brothers without borders or whatever that group is called; 4.) Tyrionon for obvious reasons; 5.) Jamie because I think he is finally becoming a decent dude; and 6.) Bron.

Turnbo828 and PFD like this.
  6. MikeHdez12

MikeHdez12 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Ygritte is my favorite. Sure, at first, it was because I was like, whoa, that is just the hottest chick. But then as her character develops, we see how much of a badass she is. I struggled with her death. ****in Ollie.

After that, Davos, Sandor, Arya, and Jorah. I may be forgetting a character I liked because there are so many, but Ygritte is at the top always and forever.

Turnbo828 likes this.
  7. Sneezybeltran

Sneezybeltran Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Nope. I've never even seen one episode of it. Is it good?

Turnbo828 and rawb_stark like this.
  8. MikeHdez12

I have too much to watch right now to get in a full rewatch, but I have to get last season in somewhere for sure.

HBO has been showing various episodes here and there recently, and a marathon not too long ago. Not having watched anything from early on in awhile, catching a random ep really puts in perspective how much ground the series has covered. I've seen every episode at least once, but I've forgotten a lot.

9. rawb_stark

Real good.

Sneezybeltran likes this.
  10. rawb_stark

**** it, I’m starting it.

Turnbo828 and Robert STRONG like this.
  11. Turnbo828

I sure did like her more when she wasn’t too cool to get naked.

texvet16 likes this.
  12. MikeHdez12

Without banners!

LMAO!! "Without borders" makes it sound like some kind of professional sport outreach program.

Turnbo828 likes this.
  13. rawb_stark

Outside of the main guys; Jon, Tyrion and Kahleesi. There's only one favorite IMO.

upload_2019-1-15_18-44-25.png

14. MikeHdez12

Hmm, no one has even mentioned Hodor yet...

15. texvet16

texvet16 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Hopefully dish and hbo will get their **** together and negotiate a deal so hbo can come back to dish in time for the last season of GoT. After GoT is over I'm dumping hbo. Very interested in seeing how they close out so many interesting story lines in 6 episodes. In the end will we all be satisfied with the ending ?

Will be interested in what comes of the GoT spin offs. Will they match the quality of GoT? Or will they go the way of so many spin offs in the past ?

My favorite characters

Tyrion lannister ( flawed but genuinely good person and damn funny)

Arya stark ( the kind of character you cheer for)

Turnbo828 likes this.
  16. rodofdisaster

rodofdisaster Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

His scenes where he's making eyes at Brienne are awesome!

timeontarget, zsmith22 and rawb_stark like this.
  17. HornsWin

Yeah, that's what I said, "without banners." Yep. What's his name? Beric! Beric Dondarrion. Dude's awesome. Badass with a sword who is also religious.

18. HornsWin

I liked Arya a lot, and still do. But I liked her more when it appeared that she was going to become some rogue killer. She's too refined now. With that said, she is still a top-10'er for me, and while I don't hold much confidence that she will make it to the end, I do expect her to log some wicked kills before the end. I'd put some good money on her being the one to kill Cersi.

texvet16 likes this.
  19. HornsWin

Gotta say, I'm surprised no one else has mentioned Bron.

20. texvet16

Ok wow ! Think she doesn't make it til the end ? That would be a bummer for sure

21. HornsWin

There are still a LOT of characters left, and in the past few seasons the number of main characters who have been axed has gone down. Some of these people have to go, and I think that Arya would have the right weight. That would also be good for the Sansa storyline - girl just can catch a break, but now she's dangerous. Kill her only remaining blood relative, and watch what happens.

texvet16 likes this.
  22. texvet16

He's definitely a great character and funny as hell. Thing with GoT for me is they have so many great characters and many of them are deceased. There is a bottleneck of favorite characters around the top 5 for me . Hell I like jorah, theon , Jaime, ygritte ...so many great characters

23. rawb_stark

Lady Stark really a bitch! Idk how I didn’t notice so many subtle things about the first season, but so much foreshadowing.

24. rawb_stark

Ned’s final scene still to this day is tough to watch.

25. HornsWin

Finally put the pieces together and got my sister's HBO Go login, so i'm doing this rewatch. Let's go.

First thought: I thought that the White Walkers were all up in the northern most part of the north to begin the series. Wasn't that the idea, that they were slowly moving down? But then ep. 1 starts with White Walkers within a slow walk from the Wall.

"Brandon, how many times have I told you, no climbing!" ... on a wall with rocks jutting out in just such a way as to very clearly suggest it is made for climbing.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    rawb_stark likes this.
  26. HornsWin

27. Bull Horn

Bull Horn Member Who Talks

The Mrs. and I just started watching it for the first time this weekend. Neither of us is really a fan of medieval/supernatural themed shows but thought we’d give it a shot.

It’s a great show - outstanding storytelling and acting. Just about finished season one this weekend and can’t wait to watch the rest of it.

PFD, rawb_stark and Turnbo828 like this.
  28. Turnbo828

My wife made it as far as the brother on sister action early on in season one. Lol

Bull Horn likes this.
  29. rawb_stark

...orrrr it's foreshadowing to break through a wall instead of climbing.

30. rawb_stark

I always hear this argument, but it's so much more of a politics show than the medieval/supernatural theme. It took me about 3 times to finally catch all the back stabbing, foreshadowing and how everything is put together.

Bull Horn likes this.
  31. MikeHdez12

She made it through just one episode? Bummer!

Turnbo828 likes this.
  32. Turnbo828

Yep. She said, “this show is disgusting!” I laughed.

rawb_stark likes this.
  33. rawb_stark

Wish she knew how the show has your clapping at incest between nephew/aunt.

Turnbo828 likes this.
  34. rawb_stark

So I think this is a two part question and it starts with distinguishing White Walkers and Wights.

White Walkers are more humanoid than anything else and can move throughout the territory much like Jon Snow has; horses, giant ice spiders, etc. They've also been traveling down to Crasters' Keep to get his sons. This is the first stop for the Watch on their way out to the north, so you can assume it's a day's hike from The Wall so they've been all around the area IMO.

Wights are the ones that they revive and are more zombie than human, those I believe have been scattered through 'the North' and as the walk begins with Wights more rise as they pass by.

Turnbo828 likes this.
  35. Robert STRONG

Robert STRONG Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

It's been a long time since I've read the books, but I recall the beginning of the search for the Wildlings (which was the original mission of the doomed 3 in the first scene) to their encounter with the White Walkers occurs over several days, possibly longer. I don't think it's supposed to occur super close to the wall. However, when Jon and Sam get sworn into the Watch at a Weirdwood tree just north of the wall, they do encounter a dead body which re-animates and attacks the Lord Commander. This suggests the White Walkers have been operating close to the wall. I think the White Walkers are spread throughout the area north of the wall, but they are gathering power throughout the show and slowly moving their forces south. I do think they were waiting for the optimal time to strike though, and could have struck sooner if they really wanted. Maybe they were waiting to get a Dragon and for the seven kingdoms to beat each other up a bit.

36. HornsWin

Is this factual? I'm asking honestly because I'e only watched the show and don't know (though suspect) that the books shed a more clarifying light on the distinction.

If I am reading you correct, the White Walkers are The Night King and those other "generals" sort of, while the Wights are what we see at the very end of the episode with the Battle at... whatever the Wildling encampment is.

I am super bad at remembering the finer details of this show. Tormund Giantsbane, though. I got that committed to memory. Dude kicks.

37. HornsWin

I want to restate how cool Beric Dondarion is. That guy is such an effortless baller. I doubt he makes it to the end, but still, cool dude.

Another thought. Arya and Gendry are definitely hooking up this season, and one or both are definitely dying. Maybe that happens as they're hooking up. Don't know, but all of that is happening. Go ahead and cash the check.

PFD and rawb_stark like this.
  38. rawb_stark

Yes, White Walkers are what the “Children of the Forrest” created to defend against the “First Men.” The Knight King is the guy you see get a Dragon Glass spear stabbed into his chest when Bran is going back in time with the 3-eyes Raven in Season 4/5? I forget when he’s there it’s been so long and I’m not there yet.

“Wights” are the people who were dead that the Knight King rose. Can be a human like the first fat guy Jon kills in Season 1 or the horses they ride. Hence “burn them all.

Edit: Tormund ****s!

HornsWin likes this.
  39. MikeHdez12

Started my rewatch from season six.

Never really realized how underwhelming the scene is where Jon is brought back. Melisandre gives him a shave and a haircut, says some stuff, and that's kind of it. For such a huge moment in the series, guess I figured it'd be a little more seance-y or something?

40. rawb_stark

[​IMG]

hobbes likes this.