Jaw-Dropping Story out of California

Discussion in 'Politics and Current Events' started by windycityhorn, Mar 12, 2019.

1. windycityhorn

windycityhorn Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Though not named in this story, UT is one of the schools involved in this scheme...

Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin among those indicted in college admissions fraud scheme

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-college-admissions-scale-elite-schools-20190312-story.html

Federal prosecutors on Tuesday indicted dozens of people — including actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin — in connection with an elaborate scheme aimed at getting students into elite colleges.

The scheme centered around the owner of a for-profit Newport Beach college admissions company that wealthy parents paid to help their children cheat on college entrance exams and falsify athletic records of students to enable them to secure admission to elite schools including UCLA, USC, Stanford, Yale and Georgetown, according to court records.

Some parents participated in one aspect of the scheme, while others paid for both, authorities said.

William Rick Singer, who owns the admissions company named the Edge College & Career Network was charged with money laundering, obstruction of justice, racketeering and conspiracy to defraud the United States. He is expected to plead guilty in Boston this afternoon, said U.S. Atty. Andrew Lelling.

The scheme, which began in 2011, is the largest college admissions scam that’s ever been prosecuted, Lelling said.

“These parents are a catalog of wealth and privilege,” he said, noting that actresses, a fashion designer, CEOs and even the head of a global law firm allegedly participated. He said they “knowingly conspired … to help their children cheat or buy their children admission to elite schools through fraud.”

Prosecutors allege Singer instructed parents to donate funds to a fake charity he had established as part of the scheme. Most of the parents paid at least $200,000, but some paid millions. The parents were then able to deduct the donation off their income taxes, according to the Internal Revenue Service.

With those funds, prosecutors allege, Singer bribed college entrance exam administrators to allow a third party to facilitate cheating on college entrance exams, in some cases by posing as the actual students, and in others by providing students with answers during the exams or by correcting their answers after they had completed the exams.

He also allegedly used his connections to bribe university athletic coaches and administrators to designate applicants as athletic recruits regardless of their athletic abilities and, in some cases, even though they didn’t play the sport. In some instances, Singer helped parents photoshop images of their children onto the bodies of athletes to provide to coaches to further the scheme, prosecutors said.

Coaches and private admissions counselors allegedly received money for helping to get students admitted as athletes to Yale, Stanford and University of Southern California.

Huffman is in custody in Los Angeles, along with 11 others. Loughlin has not been arrested, but she’s being sought by authorities, according to FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller.

Loughlin, of “Full House" fame, and Huffman, whose credits include the hit ABC show “Desperate Housewives,” are charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services fraud. According to court records, Loughlin and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, the creator of clothing brand Mossimo, "agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team” even though they did not participate in crew.

Huffman is accused of disguising a $15,000 charitable payment in the bribery scheme, according to court records. Prosecutors allege Huffman met with a confidential witness who explained that he could control an SAT testing center and could arrange for someone to proctor her daughter’s test and correct it. Huffman's daughter allegedly took the test in December 2017 and received a score of 1420. That was a 400-point improvement from her first test. In October 2018, Huffman was recorded by the FBI discussed repeating this for her younger daughter; however, she did not ultimately pursue it.

TexasPalladin likes this.
  2. UTGrad91

UTGrad91 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I read where one guy paid $6 million to bribe his kid's way into college. It begs the question, why not just give the kid $6 million? Even if you went to Yale it would take a long time to earn $6 million after you graduate.

3. Turnbo828

Turnbo828 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

4. SAhornfan

SAhornfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

5. windycityhorn

6. SAhornfan

SAhornfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Not a problem, it's on the members forum. I only posted it because it had the reference to the Tennis coach being charged with mail fraud.

7. 40A

40A Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

What would that guy brag about to his other rich friends?

Duke Silver and scout3dave like this.
  8. futures2015

futures2015 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

TexasPalladin and windycityhorn like this.
  9. futures2015

futures2015 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Yep.

$6 million invested in dividend paying stocks would mean the kid would never have to work a day in his/her life and never have to touch the principal.

Heck, HTGC has been trading at $12 today. You could buy your kid 500,000 shares.

HTGC pays $0.31 / qtr or $155,000 every Mar/May/Aug/Nov ==> $620,000 / year.

10. TexasPalladin

TexasPalladin Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Felicity truly became a "Desperate Housewife" and Lori no longer wanted a "Full House".

Semper Fi

futures2015 likes this.
  11. windycityhorn

They took Felicity out of her house in cuffs before dawn. From TMZ so grain of salt alert:

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/12/felicity-huffman-arrest-guns-drawn-fbi-college-bribery/
    Sources familiar with the arrest tell TMZ, 7 FBI agents showed up at Felicity's Hollywood Hills home at 6 AM and drew their weapons as they ordered Felicity to come out and surrender.
    We're told Felicity, her husband William H. Macy and their 2 daughters were asleep when the agents ordered her out. Our sources say she knew the arrest was looming and would have gladly surrendered on her own, but the feds saw it differently.

I know there's another thread on this scandal but it was here in the Politics forum that some folks were saying the Feds over-reached when they arrested Roger Stone. He wasn't violent, he could have surrendered peacefully, etc. Which may be true, but it reaffirms the point that the way the Feds arrested Stone was not unusual.

acreativeusername and texvet16 like this.
  12. Duke Silver

Duke Silver Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

F*ck all these rich assholes. Reminds me of all the lazy, spoiled ****birds I went to high school with.

PearlandHorn likes this.
  13. cctxfan

cctxfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I wonder why the husbands of these actresses weren't charged. They were in the know and participated in phone calls, emails, payments, etc. Perhaps it's just a technique to help speed up a conviction.

But in other news the wealthy have been paying people off since college was invented to get their lesser performing offspring into school. It's not new, but it's still fun to watch the train wreck.

14. windycityhorn

I read that Bill Macy was not charged because they have evidence he knew of the scheme with regard to his younger daughter, but that they never went through with it in her case. With the older daughter, they had Felicity on tape and she wrote a check in her own name to the crooked charity.

Lori Laughlin is apparently overseas. Maybe her husband is with her, too. I do think it's unfortunate that we're mostly talking about these two famous moms, when clearly it was a whole bunch of rich, entitled assholes to blame. I read somewhere else the guy who concocted the scam boasted he had done it over 700 times. I hope they nab them all.

40A, Duke Silver and TexasPalladin like this.
  15. JG

JG Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Y’all have to admit that it’s pretty flattering to have Texas included in this list. The school is so good and so hard to get into that the rich and famous are willing to cheat and pay big bucks to get their kids into it.

padrehorn11 likes this.
  16. Eric Nahlin

Eric Nahlin Recruiting Editor Staff Member

17. hager41

hager41 Member Who Talks

I’m one of the posters who thought it was ridiculous for the feds to arrest Stone with a swat team like presence. And I think it is equally, if not more, ridiculous that they did the same to arrest a non-violent Hollywood actress who posed no threat.

18. cctxfan

cctxfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Oh no, I’m with you. I think they should all be roasted for their sins - famous or not.

It’s just easier to rubberneck at the carnage when it’s a celebrity.

19. padrehorn11

padrehorn11 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

The Perp Walk is an American tradition. But to my generation anyway, none will compare with watching this one on TV.

20. Shane3

Shane3 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I agree. Totally unnecessary. It just looks like more showboating.

21. Duke Silver

This right here. Going to turn me into a Bernie bro or Trumper.

windycityhorn likes this.
  22. Toadvine

Toadvine Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

When the Feds turn up to arrest some poor schmo for felon with a handgun you can be damn sure they send an army of US Marshal's. It's only fair they do the same to these entitled assholes.

Horns05 and Duke Silver like this.
  23. calvin farquhar

calvin farquhar Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

24. Duke Silver

25. calvin farquhar

Sure, but one could draw similar parallels to more than just Trump. He wants it to be just Trump.

26. Duke Silver

Oh of course. It’s Bernie bros, too. There’s a deep vein of people who think the system is rigged, and this doesn’t help.

calvin farquhar likes this.
  27. calvin farquhar

This should convince pretty much everyone at least at the higher ed level it is.

28. Shane3

Shane3 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Listening to a local attorney. He said this could be a bigger scandal than we realize right now.

29. TEXBTP

TEXBTP Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Well i saw on another thread that the guy that developed the scheme bragged that he had done it over 700 times.

30. calvin farquhar

I saw something that put the money in the $25 million range. It's definitely big time.

31. Duke Silver

In a certain way it always has been. That’s what standardized tests were supposed to remedy. But they’re racist apparently.

32. calvin farquhar

I'd bet most don't pay attention to this stuff. I could be wrong. It happens sometimes. I don't know if the tests are racist but the Asians think Harvard is a bit.

33. Duke Silver

I'm pretty sure the Asian kids are right.

34. padrehorn11

So you're saying that "...despite boasting higher test scores, better grades, and stronger extracurricular resumes than applicants of any other racial group, consistently received lower rankings ... on things like 'likability,' 'helpfulness,' 'integrity,' and 'courage'..., according to a statistical analysis...of more than 160,000 student records", and that this "significantly undermined otherwise-qualified Asian Americans’ chances of getting in", indicates that the admissions policy at Harvard is racist? I thought you were a lawyer.;)

35. calvin farquhar

[​IMG]

TexasPalladin and padrehorn11 like this.
  36. roy fukes

roy fukes Member Who Talks

Can I move this to recruiting threads? Seems like USC is screwed?
    upload_2019-3-13_21-58-43.jpeg

37. padrehorn11

Pictures at 11?

38. Duke Silver

That's just what the complaint says, right? I actually don't know what stage they're in now.

39. padrehorn11

I gathered from what I read that the trial is over and they had a "post trial hearing" (whatever the hell that is) last month and are waiting for the decision.

Like I said, you're a lawyer, but to a layman like me it looks cut and dried. I have never understood the 'fuzzy logic' of the Law. So I guess it's a good thing I went into a profession where opinions didn't matter in the final verdict. The oil was there and commercially producible, or it wasn't. Of course what was commercially producible changed with better technology, but still, if the oil wasn't there, it wasn't there, no matter what the vote was.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  40. Duke Silver

JG has a problem with gray areas as well (most engineers do). There are very few "answers" in the law--just facts to be applied and distinguished from other situations in service of your argument. There are two sides to every story. As any lawyer or law student will tell you, the answer to almost every simple question in law is: It depends.