North Korea and South Korea possiblilties

Discussion in 'Politics and Current Events' started by TexasPalladin, Apr 27, 2018.

1. TexasPalladin

TexasPalladin Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5662577/Kim-Jong-prepares-walk-history-Korean-summit.html

Regardless of your opinions of the President, if this deal goes through the President should get a Nobel (unlike his predecessor, he will have actually done something to earn it).
    And as much as I hate to admit it, China gets credit for the assist.
    I will ad the caveat here that while optimistic....I really do believe the the "Trust but Verify" model is required here....Trying to understand the Asian mind is a like solving a Rubik's cube blindfolded and with your toes.
    Between President Trump breaking every possible rule of diplomacy and then using the carrot and gun approach, there may actually be a actual Peace on the peninsula for the first time since 1950.
    Who woulda thunk it.

Semper Fi

padrehorn11, texvet16, 40A and 3 others like this.
  2. 40A

40A Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Everything looks rosy right now but the pessimistic side of me just doesn't want to believe this is real from NK.

jdezz27, bHero, Halas and 2 others like this.
  3. texvet16

texvet16 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

This is starting to feel like a legitimate endeavor from all sides, so I'm cautiously optimistic. If this turns out to be legitimate Trump deserves the Nobel Peace prize( unlike the enigma NPP Obama got) . Of course the media will try and manipulate this to try and deny Trump any credit but as Joe Biden once said " this is a big ****ing deal ".

TexasPalladin and futures2015 like this.
  4. futures2015

futures2015 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Looks like they don't want Trump to draw a red line in the sand.

40A and TexasPalladin like this.
  5. acreativeusername

acreativeusername Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Why would he get it over South Korea’s President?

6. futures2015

Could be something like Camp David Accords -- Begin/Sadat shared the 1978 Nobel Peace Prize.

acreativeusername likes this.
  7. texvet16

Why couldn't they both get it?

8. acreativeusername

I’d be totally fine with that. Gonna take a lot of people to make it happen

texvet16 likes this.
  9. texvet16

Agree with you 100%

It's still seems to good to be true

10. acreativeusername

Agreed. Kinda realized my original reply to you was pointless. Didn’t mean it like “Trump doesn’t deserve it” because he should get credit if he sees this through. Just meant all involved should see recognition. Outside of Kim obviously

texvet16 likes this.
  11. windycityhorn

windycityhorn Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I actually do think Trump is doing what others could not have done. I believe Kim looked at Trump and saw an opening. And because he's a Pub, Trump can do things with regard to NK that Democratic presidents would have been roasted for. Like agreeing to meet Kim, at a presidential level, in the first place. Or calling Kim "very honorable." (Imagine if Hillary or Obama had said that.)

I think South Korea has a lot to do with this, too. They overthrew their last president, who in addition to being corrupt was a hardliner on NK, and elected someone who was open to making a deal.

Gunny brought up China, and Kim was just there a few weeks ago. And Russia, which has many interests in NK and has been pretty credibly accused of helping NK violate sanctions. This is how international arms control agreements work. A lot of countries have to be involved.

The devil, of course, will be in the details. It's interesting that this is all unfolding the same week the president of France traveled to DC to convince Trump to stay in the Iran nuclear agreement. Which I am told, by Trump and by conservative media, was a terrible deal. Would conservatives be satisfied with a similar deal in North Korea?

Addendum: The Obama Nobel was a joke, and at the White House at the time was seen not only as ridiculously premature but actually un-helpful to the president domestically.

12. UTGrad91

UTGrad91 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Rocket man is playing us. People in NK are starving and he knows if he doesn't get relief from the West things will get so bad that the citizens will revolt. Everything he says or agrees to in an agreement or treaty will be a lie. That's been proven by both himself and his father over the last couple decades.

13. UTGrad91

UTGrad91 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Someone did the math and found out that Obama had only been President for 12 days before being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Even the Daila Lama politely said it was "a little early"

TexasPalladin and windycityhorn like this.
  14. windycityhorn

Funny. Good thing we live in the Hold My Beer Era:

WASHINGTON, D.C. (Friday, April 27, 2018) — Following historic progress between North and South Korea, U.S. Rep. Luke Messer (IN-06) announced he is gathering congressional support to formally nominate President Trump for the Nobel Peace Prize, which Messer has been calling for since March.

https://messer.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=860

msflash likes this.
  15. The_Major

The_Major Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

16. acreativeusername

17. The_Major

I really don't know. And I feel for the family. But they are completely misrepresenting the facts of why he was arrested.

18. HornsUp

HornsUp Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I've got no idea what will happen or not in Korea. What I do believe is Trump is as responsible for it as Obama was for getting OBL. If this thing falls apart it won't be Trump's fault nor should he be taking credit if it all comes together. There's a lot more at play than Trump calling Kim "Little Rocket Man" or talking tough (even Tiilerson and Mattis told him to shut up).

19. cctxfan

cctxfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

A big turn of events is that nuclear test site collapsing. Which Trump had nothing to do with. Or did he? :)

padrehorn11 and HornsUp like this.
  20. scott_tiger

scott_tiger Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

It was agent Rodman

21. bHero

bHero Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I think it's bs.

22. Toadvine

Toadvine Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

North Korea has played this exact same card before. They just want to get the money spigots open. I'd love for something positive to happen, but I'm seriously skeptical.

23. futures2015

I would be optimistic if a deal is worked out in which inspections can be conducted anywhere - anytime - without notice.

That's what we thought we had with the Iranian deal ... unfortunately the Iranians disagreed when we tried to actually do it.

TexasPalladin likes this.
  24. Shane3

Shane3 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Ha! Btw, I heard today that the SK president says Trump should win the NPP, if he’s able to put together a deal.

25. Shane3

I agree. It’s similar to when Nixon was perceived as being the one guy who was politically able to work out a deal with China.

26. futures2015

FWIW:

South China Morning Post, 4/26/2018: North Korea’s nuclear test site has collapsed ... and that may be why Kim Jong-un suspended tests

Sounds like Un could be playing for time to accumulate enough resources to resume his nuclear program development.

Here's hoping we don't want a deal so much that we make a bad deal.

TexasPalladin and bHero like this.
  27. Shane3

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c2f0e0fd2524

A shadowy group trying to overthrow Kim Jong Un allegedly raided a North Korean embassy in broad daylight

Days before President Trump was set to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Vietnam, a mysterious incident in Spain threatened to derail the entire high-stakes nuclear summit.

In broad daylight, masked assailants infiltrated North Korea’s embassy in Madrid, tied up the staff, stole computers and mobile phones, and fled the scene in two luxury vehicles.

The group behind the late February operation is known as Cheollima Civil Defense, a secretive dissident organization committed to overthrowing the Kim dynasty, people familiar with the planning and execution of the mission told The Washington Post.

The group’s alleged role in the attack has not previously been reported, and officials from the governments of North Korea, the United States and Spain declined to comment on it.

28. 40A

And you guys don't think the Deep State exists.

29. padrehorn11

padrehorn11 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

North Korea could still obliterate Seoul in a pretty short time with conventional artillery. Are they gonna melt the artillery down and turn 'em into electric generators so someone could turn the lights on at night in the North Korea?

Edit, got my Acronyms mixed up. I posted ROK when I meant DPRK. Of course it's Democratic.

30. The_Major

I don't think it happens. I don't think China wants it to.

31. TexasPalladin

TexasPalladin Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

True, China uses NK as a cat's claw.
    And Russia enjoys the tension.
    But no one anyone tossing nukes at each other.
    A lot of players on the board, and each with their own agendas.
    As I said above.
    When it comes to the Asian mind..Who knows.
    I could have been entirely wrong....and it wouldn't be the first time or a greatr surprise.

Semper Fi

padrehorn11 and The_Major like this.
  32. calvin farquhar

calvin farquhar Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

The really bad ones always are

33. acreativeusername

The “Deep State” is secretive and behind the scenes, this was a broad daylight attack and hostage situation aimed to overthrow a regime that the entire planet wants overthrown

What are you talking about?

34. 40A

It was more of a tongue-in-cheek joke, but just because it was done in broad daylight doesn't mean that it couldn't be "Deep State".

35. Shane3

See how easily they threw you off? ;)

36. windycityhorn

37. T-Horn

T-Horn Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Nice work, assbag. I can see that idiot sitting in the Oval Office justifying that **** because "the Vietnam summit went so well."

38. windycityhorn

Here's a real thing that Sarah Sanders just said: “President Trump likes Chairman Kim and he doesn’t think these sanctions will be necessary.”

39. kennoisewater

kennoisewater Member Who Talks

What could he possibly be thinking?

40. T-Horn

T-Horn Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Fantastic reasoning! Idiot.

He's not.