The movie you just watched

Discussion in 'OT: Trivial Pursuits' started by Fuddy, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Fuddy

Fuddy Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

This is a good thread on a different board, figured I'd bring it over here

2. Fuddy

My recent movies list, over the past six months or so I'd say. I can expand on any specific one if someone is curious
    Annihilation- 6.5/10
    You Were Never Really Here- 10/10
    Midnight Special- 8/10
    Hereditary- 10/10
    I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House- 1/10
    Buster Scrugs- 10/10
    Upgrade- 6.5/10
    Blackcoat's Daughter- 7/10
    A Dark Song- 9/10
    Under the Skin- 4/10
    Bird Box- 5/10
    It Comes at Night- 7/10
    Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer- 9/10
    The Big Sick- 8/10
    Her- 9/10
    Thelma- 6.5/10
    Paths of Glory- 10/10
    The Chaser- 5/10
    The Constant Gardner- 9/10
    The Favourite- 10/10
    The Sisters Brothers- 6.5/10
    Watched Ex Machina (2nd watch)- 10/10
    Free Fire- 3/10

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    bHero and Robert STRONG like this.
  3. MikeHdez12

MikeHdez12 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Ah, man!! These were both fantastic experiences.

4. Fuddy

I wanted to like them both more than I did. The Scarlett naked scenes in Under the Skin were mesmerizing

5. MikeHdez12

I probably need to watch that one again actually. I haven't seen it since it was at our little art house theater when it debuted, which I guess was five years ago. I just remember it being real eerie, atmospheric, with an incredibly haunting soundtrack. I, like any other man in his mid-20s, was drawn heavily by the word of mouth of Johannsen's scenes, but they were all so abstract and strange with that expansive room and the dark substance, I forgot that she was even a big reason I wanted to see the movie.

Annihilation, though. Blew me away, especially the final scene. Perhaps not as much as Garland's other film, Ex Machina, but I have them both pretty close.

The common thread here though is that I know I'm going to love just about anything A24 puts out. These two, The Witch, Hereditary, Green Room, Swiss Army Man, etc. Really like the films they've been putting out.

Fuddy likes this.
  6. Fuddy

I think expectations might have hurt Annihilation for me, I read a lot of reviews talking it up which probably built it up too much in my mind. Also, it's not like I have it rated really low.

I agree that the atmosphere was great for Under the Skin, and I actually loved the first half and the ending, but it kind of lost me in between those. Also, I probably personally enjoyed it more than 4/10, but when I consider that I'd probably never specifically recommend it to anyone other than being on a huge list of random movies that might be worth watching, that's why I have it rated low.

7. MikeHdez12

I see, fair enough. I was just looking at in a relative manner as I guess I got a little bit more out of Annihilation than You Were Never Really Here.

I definitely wouldn't recommend Under The Skin to anybody I know. I love my friends, but they aren't near as movie snobby as me, and I couldn't begin to think of how I'd sell Under The Skin. Because even if you said you can see Scarlett without apparel several times, you miss the point of the whole thing.

Anyway, with various sports, rewatches, Netfix series, and other such things taking up my time, I haven't been able to treat myself to as many movies as I usually do lately. Here's a few from me I saw over the past few months in theaters:

Suspiria 8.5/10 -- A palpable sense of dread throughout, killer soundtrack from Thom Yorke, and one of the most bonkers and intense final sequences I have ever watched.

Cold Pursuit 8/10 -- Quirky fun

Captain Marvel 8/10

They Shall Not Grow Old 9.5/10 -- A truly unbelievable technical achievement from Peter Jackson. Highly recommend.

The Mule 7.5/10

Alita: Battle Angel 5.5/10 -- More of a YA movie, which caught me by surprise

Ralph Breaks the Internet 8.5/10

P.S.
    Was that supposed to read Upgrade? I'd put that at a 8/10.

8. SAhornfan

SAhornfan Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

You mean where it belongs?

9. Fuddy

Yes, Upgrade

10. TexasPalladin

TexasPalladin Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Just watched "High Sierra" with Bogart, Ida Lupino and Cornell Wilde last night.
    I enjoy watching the old classics.
    Gonna watch "Hellfighters" in a bit.

Semper Fi

PearlandHorn likes this.
  11. texvet16

texvet16 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Just watched, boy who harnessed the wind , not bad at all . 7/10

Up next Triple Frontier

Netflix is starting to get really good at movies , I really liked bird box 7/10

12. Hiphopster

Hiphopster Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Why? I felt like with the way it ended, I wasted 2 hours of my life.

13. texvet16

I really liked Sandra bullock and the other actors in the movie. I thought the plot was creative enough that it kept me intrigued. I also really liked how the movie jumped back and forth in time lines, they pulled it off well. The fact that you never saw the " aliens" was another interesting facet of the movie . I think I actually liked bird box more than, a quiet place.

14. Jdhmills

Jdhmills Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Triple frontier was ok, action sequences were great, dialogue and developing characters was subpar.

bHero likes this.
  15. Hiphopster

Hiphopster Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I just wanted an explanation for having to cover your eyes. I felt like the viewer was owed that after two hours. Yes, it was creative though and had there been some explanation it might have set better for me. Was it aliens? Ghosts? Demons? I'm not saying whatever they were needed to be defeated, but at least explained, I would have preferred.

And I haven't seen A Quiet Place yet.

bHero and Turnbo828 like this.
  16. Jonathan Wells

Jonathan Wells Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I go to the movies maybe once every couple of months these days, and I'm more likely to watch TV series than movies on Netflix and Amazon Prime, so I don't have a long list of recently watched flicks.

Captain Marvel - 7/10
    In Her Shoes - 8/10 (first time I'd seen it since it was in theaters)
    Mary Poppins Returns - 7/10
    Avengers: Infinity War - 8/10 (for probably the fourth time)
    Ant-Man and the Wasp - 7/10
    Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - 5/10
    Mary and the Witch's Flower - 7/10

bHero likes this.
  17. Fuddy

Bird Box was the most ok movie of all time

18. rawb_stark

rawb_stark Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Vice - 7.5/10
    Green Book - 8.5/10
    Captain Marvel - 8/10

bHero likes this.
  19. texvet16

I think the writers / director made a calculated decision that the audiences anticipation of whatever sinister beings were lurking around was far more entertaining than whatever they could possibly reveal . Meaning they really didn't have anything to reveal that could match the audiences imagination . It worked for some not so much for others. The only clue to what was lurking around came from the guy they let in who had drawings of whatever it was.

bHero likes this.
  20. MikeHdez12

Couple thoughts:

Bird Box wasn't about the entity.

Bird Box was above average at best as a film.

The crew behind Bird Box said they included a visual originally but it got pulled because they feel it wasn't fit. But if you saw the entity, would it really have made the film any better?

bHero likes this.
  21. PFD

PFD Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

The last two movies I've seen were both indie flicks:

The Man Who Killed Hitler and Bigfoot

Sam Elliott is one of my all time favorites, but even his heartfelt performance wasn't enough to save this movie from its painfully slow pacing and lack of any real story (other than what you already know from the title).

The Rider

If you have any cowboy in you at all, even just a little, then this film will move you.

Authentic, perhaps to a fault, it tells what is essentially the biographical story of South Dakota rodeo cowboy Brady Jandreau, who suffered a serious head injury while riding a bucking horse, and his subsequent efforts to resume his life as a rodeo cowboy and horse trainer.

The other cast members are apparently his real life family members and friends, so it's real and raw (and a little bit unpolished). It's not a feel-good story, but it is visceral.

bHero likes this.
  22. MikeHdez12

When this won best picture, people absolutely trashed the decision. Just lambasted it. But, the only reason I ever saw why, on Twitter anyway, was because Peter Farrelly directed it. If this movie had been directed by anybody else, would it have been drug through the mud like it was?

I haven't seen it myself, and I don't really intend to, but people were like OMG ThE GuY ThAt DiReCted ToMmy BoY diReCtEd GReeN BoOK! Emoji emoji emoji emoji emoji...

I don't get it.

23. rawb_stark

He was part of the issue. So was the fact the Sterling family felt like he and his story were poorly portrayed. Which is hard for me to know bc of what the film claims about his family.

I think more of the issues were the film wasn’t “racist enough” to some. In the sense, they limited the amount of **** Sterling had to deal with. They showed some, but I can’t imagine everything he endured. Which to me (white male) was okay bc the story was more about the friendship and learning how dumb prejudice and racism is. Many have gotten tired of the white/black guys learning to be friends in a ****ty pre-integration world.

I loved the film and the two performances. Ali was at his finest.

bHero likes this.
  24. MikeHdez12

Us 9/10

idighorns and rawb_stark like this.
  25. rawb_stark

The Dirt - 6.5/10

It’s exactly how bad you think it is, which makes it good.

Also, the idea of heroin still doesn’t make sense to me. Why? Why heroin?

26. texvet16

Watched Triple Frontier on Netflix, solid movie , not great but pretty entertaining .

bHero likes this.
  27. Turnbo828

Turnbo828 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Watched Highwaymen on Netflix last night. Good, not great for me. 7/10.

bHero and texvet16 like this.
  28. PFD

PFD Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Because it features Costner and Harrelson, I feel like I have to see it.

bHero likes this.
  29. Turnbo828

Turnbo828 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Definitely worth a watch. Good storyline. Harrelson is pretty funny in it.

bHero, texvet16 and PFD like this.
  30. Fuddy

I'm going to have to go see this

31. rawb_stark

I stopped myself from sitting through 'Ready Player One' last night again, but I took forever to see it. That movie is brilliant, 8/10.

bHero and PFD like this.
  32. idighorns

idighorns Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I'd say that I agree. It was on it's way to being as great as Get Out but the explanation for how certain things came to exist felt stilted and unnecessary.

33. MikeHdez12

I should say I'm of the highest ratings are only for the best of the best order, like how Coach never gives out anything above A- in his grades. So 9 for me means I loved it.

There were nitpicks for me about it, and yeah the tethered thing. I like my reveals to be either completely open-ended and open to interpretation or exactly the opposite and you say 'ahh, I see' afterward. This one was right in the middle. But the attention to detail that Peele brings is just extraordinary. I knew I'd have to see it again as I was watching it just to pick up on everything and appreciate it.

Oh and Tim from Tim and Eric? Incredible! He was really good!

idighorns likes this.
  34. idighorns

idighorns Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

So many easter eggs (starting with the VHS tapes in the opening shots) and much foreshadowing.

35. dmatx

dmatx Member Who Talks

Just (re)watched "Be Here to Love Me" this Townes Van Zandt documentary from a few years ago for the first time since it came out. So much good footage and interviews. A sad, crazy story about a sad, crazy man. Some of the best music ever made, though. I love the footage of him in his trailer in Clarksville from the early '70s. It's a little different around there these days.

36. bHero

bHero Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

It was a creepy benjamin-button looking monster.

37. bHero

bHero Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

My kids kept trying to make me watch it and I kept shutting them down. Then I saw it was a Spielberg flick and thought,"how bad could it be." With really low expectations, I watched it this week. The movie turned out surprisingly excellent. Very well done. A tad long, but the ending was great, which is where a lot of stuff has been terrible lately.

8/10

I liked the open question of Halliday's consciousness at the end.
    Was he dead, or not? Is it AI, or a construct, or him?

PFD likes this.
  38. rawb_stark

I'll get high here in a bit and try to put into words what it meant to me, but it's an awesome thought given our current growth in AI.

bHero likes this.
  39. texvet16

Watched highwaymen last night and thought it was a good movie but only because of woody Harrelson and Kevin costner . Not many actors could have pulled that movie off like they did.

bHero likes this.
  40. TexanBlood

TexanBlood Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I saw Shazam the other day and I really enjoyed it. Not a fan of most DC movies but this was pretty good.

bHero and rawb_stark like this.