What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'OT: Trivial Pursuits' started by Eric Nahlin, Dec 3, 2015.

1. windycityhorn

windycityhorn Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

The new album by the Cold War Kids, L.A. Divine, is tremendous. Every song is good but the standouts are "Can We Hang On?" "No Reason To Run" and "Part of the Night."

Really excellent work from a band with a lot of skins on the wall. If you've heard any of their songs before it's probably "We Used to Vacation" from 2006, which is still a classic.

2. malaise

malaise Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

i watched almost famous last night so i'm just listenin to all that sorta ****

Young Williams likes this.
  3. PFD

PFD Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

My new jam is a Fort Worth band called Grady Spencer and the Work.

4. MikeHdez12

MikeHdez12 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

New Minus The Bear is decent, if not altogether memorable.

5. idighorns

idighorns Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

On Record Store Day, I got the first UGK album (first time on vinyl), U-Roy "Dread in a Babylon (reggae/dub classic), a Profile Records compilation of a bunch of their early singles (old-school hip-hop, lots I'd never heard before even as a kid in NYC), and a picture disc of Vangelis' music for Blade Runner. Oh, and a Smiths' 7" that has demo versions of "The Boy with a Thorn in his Side" and "Rubber Ring" that is now also notorious for a very political message etched in the run-out groove.
    I also bought some noisy stuff and hyper-political punk rock that would piss off most people here.

malaise likes this.
  6. malaise

New mac Demarco album is great

7. MikeHdez12

Never heard of him. Is he like Beck or something?

8. malaise

9. MikeHdez12

10. MikeHdez12

Holy ****, Chester Bennington hung himself. I stopped listening to Linkin Park a long time ago, but they were definitely a part of my library as a teenager.

11. windycityhorn

Re-upping an old thread for my Best of the Year in music, for anyone interested.

ALBUMS
    1) The War on Drugs, A Deeper Understanding
    2) Mondo Cozmo, Plastic Soul
    3) Portugal. The Man, Woodstock
    4) Cold War Kids, L.A. Divine
    5) Beck, Colors

SONGS
    1) "Total Entertainment Forever," Father John Misty
    2) "Los Ageless," St. Vincent
    3) "Lovesick in a Hotel Wildfire," Korey Dane
    4) "Vampire Again," Marlon Williams
    5) "Mourning Sound," Grizzly Bear
    6) "Can I Sit Next To You?" Spoon

Young Williams likes this.
  12. fdub206

fdub206 Member Who Talks

Kendrick and Big Krit had my favorite albums of the year.

windycityhorn likes this.
  13. Turnbo828

Turnbo828 Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Never heard a single one of those songs.

14. windycityhorn

Ha! I never claimed to represent a majority!

Here's a good place to start. These guys were kicking around Austin back when I was in school.

Turnbo828 likes this.
  15. acreativeusername

acreativeusername Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Country
    1. Turnpike's new album is really good - https://open.spotify.com/album/04ffYrjCuXYHdWvFXzGeW9
    2. Josh Ward (just heard a song of his for the first time on the radio) - https://open.spotify.com/artist/0K3gUcawlzf0s7WE9umkgd
    3. Cody Jinks - https://open.spotify.com/artist/2v7wIbCkIzxOfT3GnqCexD
    Rap
    1. A$AP Ferg - Plain Jane - https://open.spotify.com/album/0EjBxyMCOkBqeMZS9PJyxw
    2. Don't usually listen to newer rap, mainly listen to NWA, Eazy-E, Dr. Dre, Snoop, etc.
    EDM
    1. Eric Prydz - Opus (specifically "Generate" and "Every Day") - https://open.spotify.com/album/2Kwbn1H4KMGZAe4MS6uDzU
    2. Anything from Kygo - https://open.spotify.com/artist/23fqKkggKUBHNkbKtXEls4
    Metal
    1. Older metal - Pantera, Judas Priest
    2. New thrash metal - Warbringer, Warpath

16. PFD

PFD Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

Love Turnpike and Jinks.

For me, Chris Stapleton's sophomore album, From a Room: Volume 1, was one of the best of the year. [Even if you're not a country music fan, "I Was Wrong" is one of best new blues tracks in years.]

I haven't yet checked out his third album, From a Room: Volume 2, which dropped a couple weeks ago.

17. acreativeusername

Saw Stapleton at ACL last year (2016) and he sounds identical to his records. Incredible talent, was one of my favorite shows there

Young Williams and PFD like this.
  18. Robert STRONG

Robert STRONG Member Who Talks

If your wife loves Christmas music as much as mine does (and blasts it on repeat), I suggest pointing them to Sia's new Christmas album. My wife is enjoying it, and its bearable to listen to for me.

acreativeusername likes this.
  19. acreativeusername

For those of y'all who stream your music, Def Leppard's entire catalog is now on Spotify. They said "worldwide" so I would assume this applies to Apple Music and Google as well

20. acreativeusername

Bring some new life to this thread, haha

Country
    • @PFD mentioned a few months ago Chris Stapleton's new album "From A Room: Volume 2" which is like his other albums. Start to finish phenomenal IMO
    Hip-Hop/Rap
    • The "Black Panther" album with Kendrick, SZA, Khalid, Travis Scott, etc.
    • Post Malone's new album is awesome
    • J. Cole's new album. Haven't listened to it quite yet but my friends rave about it
    Electronic
    • Sofi Tukker (specifically Best Friend, Bat****, Baby I'm a Queen)
    • Odesza. Literally anything by them. Probably my current favorite artist
    R&B
    • Anything by Aloe Blacc, but he just released a new single "Brooklyn In The Summer" that's really damn good

dmatx and PFD like this.
  21. dmatx

dmatx Member Who Talks

Neil Young - Tonight's the Night Live at the Roxy - - - Between this and Hitchhiker, things have been sunny on the Neil side of the street.

22. winecoach

winecoach Member Who Talks

Put Apple Music on the TV every Saturday morning and listen to all types. Last song was Transfusion by Nervious Norvus

23. acreativeusername

Cody Jinks - Must Be The Whiskey

24. Young Williams

Young Williams Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

How many songs do y’all think is the minimum required for a release to constitute an “album”?

Because Kanye is spraying all these 7-song joints all over, and it vexes me.

Personally, I’m treating Ye and Kids See Ghosts as one album. And no one can stop me.

25. MikeHdez12

I don't know about no Kanye West, but that is a good question. Small number of tracks doesn't always make a bad album; Zeppelin has a bunch that are eight or nine tracks. But if all the tracks are really short, they better also be really good because thirty minute bland albums are not fun.

Tell you what always drove me crazy are EPs. It's like, hey awesome band, thanks for releasing new stuff for the first time in three years, but maybe stay in the studio longer and give us a longer album so I don't have to change CDs after fifteen minutes.

26. Young Williams

Young Williams Member Who Talks (A Lot!)

I think, whatever the standard is, it was definitely different back when Zep was stomping all the bron yrs. Vinyl was like a hard salary cap on how long the music could play.

I, too, have beef with EPs. I never want to get an EP for fear that the album will come out soon with some or most of the same tracks on it, and it messes up my whole Obsessive Compulsive music-month assignments that I won't bore you with here.

I don't really know that I acknowledge 7 songs as an album. I'm pretty sure I don't, but the Kanye Wyoming sessions are forcing me to evaluate. I know that I draw a hard line in the sand at 7. Anything less is obviously an EP.

I personally think an album should have no fewer than 10 tracks, but I concede your point about some of those shorter works of the past.

27. MikeHdez12

Minus The Bear has announced they're calling it a day with one last tour. :(