1st Democrat debate thread

calvin farquhar

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 19, 2017
i heard raise the top tax bracket to 70% and raise corporate rate to 28%.
Tax rates at 70% rarely generate any revenue, at least revenue of note, so unless the plan is to have that 70% on lower incomes it's nothing more than feel good, sound good, to their voting base. It definitely won't cover all their free stuff. But that's surface level stuff. The details are what is needed.

Reactions: TexasPalladin

TEXBTP

Oct 29, 2008
Tax rates at 70% rarely generate any revenue, at least revenue of note, so unless the plan is to have that 70% on lower incomes it's nothing more than feel good, sound good, to their voting base. It definitely won't cover all their free stuff. But that's surface level stuff. The details are what is needed.
I agree I think the peak of the Laffer curve is between 35 and 45, although its anyones guess. Its 37.5 right now but set to go back up to 40 in a couple years.
I don't want to see the corporate tax rate go up. I'd been bitching for years to lower it, and I don't want it to go back up.

The_Major

Apr 2, 2012
Austin, Texas
And she loves Syria and Assad. Holy ****.
Her approach is different than anyone else's I've heard. It's not like anything we've been doing so far has worked. I'm willing to listen to what she has to say. And I respect her for saying what she believes even if it's unpopular.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
I genuinely don’t know which I’d dread being married to more Elizabeth or Hillary

TEXBTP

Oct 29, 2008
Delaney is running to be the next chief of staff. Booker wants to be AG. Gabbard is running for President in 2024.
Beto is running for his puppet master.
Warren is my favorite of this bunch.
I wish inslee would shut up about climate change

Reactions: windycityhorn

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Delaney is running to be the next chief of staff. Booker wants to be AG. Gabbard is running for President in 2024.

Warren?

Low standards or worse options

Horns05

Oct 29, 2008
AXE CAP
Surprised you like Warren. I have yet to see her actually answer a question

acreativeusername

Nov 27, 2016
I don’t know how you like Warren at all

TEXBTP

Oct 29, 2008
Surprised you like Warren. I have yet to see her actually answer a question
She wrote the bankruptcy code, most business law textbooks. She bootstrapped her way up to the senate from the trailer. She is incredibly smart and capable. I think she genuinely cares about working class Americans. As mentioned before she is not electable, but to me she is impressive.

Reactions: bHero
May 27, 2018
Most of what I've heard so far it's virtue signaling, emotional appeals to "victim" groups, and very little actual talk about policy. Oh and tons of meaningless anecdotes about nothing. Tim Ryan is the only sane one I've heard speak.

The_Major

Apr 2, 2012
Austin, Texas
She wrote the bankruptcy code, most business law textbooks. She bootstrapped her way up to the senate from the trailer. She is incredibly smart and capable. I think she genuinely cares about working class Americans. As mentioned before she is not electable, but to me she is impressive.
Since when is lying about your race to advance your career considered bootstrapping?

Reactions: jhablinski

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
I know several accomplished individuals. I wouldn't want them as President. Policy has to matter.

Horns05

Oct 29, 2008
AXE CAP
Sorry, I was just talking about the debate . She has not really answered anything .. at least in my ****ty opinion

TEXBTP

Oct 29, 2008
Since when is lying about your race to advance your career considered bootstrapping?
She explained it. She was told by her family that she had native american blood, which is completely reasonable. You didn't accept it that is fine. But quit this nonsense about lying.

TEXBTP

Oct 29, 2008
Sorry, I was just talking about the debate . She has not really answered anything .. at least in my ****ty opinion
Ive been following her for a while. These debates will heat up as we get closer to IA. Although I doubt you will get straight answers at all. They are politicians....

TEXBTP

Oct 29, 2008
I know several accomplished individuals. I wouldn't want them as President. Policy has to matter.
thats a fair point. but none of these people will get any of their moon shot ideas through Congress. Warren is definitely not a leader, and that is what the county needs.

Reactions: calvin farquhar

TexasPalladin

Nov 30, 2008
Gotta say it.
Following this thread instead of watching those idiots has been much more entertaining.
I honestly felt I was killing brain cells just watching the first 10 minutes.
How anyone with a modicum of intelligence and a knowledge of history could vote for any of those mental midgets is evidence of the need for a 5150 hold.

Semper Fi

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Gotta say it.
Following this thread instead of watching those idiots has been much more entertaining.
How anyone with a modicum of intelligence and a knowledge of history could vote for any of those mental midgets is evidence of the need for a 5150 hold.

Semper Fi

5150 hold. Lulz.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
thats a fair point. but none of these people will get any of their moon shot ideas through Congress. Warren is definitely not a leader, and that is what the county needs.
I mean, you could also like her policies. I am not a fan of them, which is why I asked. If you do, that's your thing.

May 27, 2018
She also used to be conservative.

Gotta say it.

Semper Fi
I cut it off.

TEXBTP

Oct 29, 2008
I mean, you could also like her policies. I am not a fan of them, which is why I asked. If you do, that's your thing.
I think most of what she is selling is a moon shot idea. So generally speaking I like the ideas but there is not real plan to getting them done that will work in today's world. Thus no, I don't like her policies. Goals without plans are just wishes, and we can't wish ourselves out of our problems.