1st Democrat debate thread

acreativeusername

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Nov 27, 2016
Gotta say it.
Following this thread instead of watching those idiots has been much more entertaining.
I honestly felt I was killing brain cells just watching the first 10 minutes.
How anyone with a modicum of intelligence and a knowledge of history could vote for any of those mental midgets is evidence of the need for a 5150 hold.

Semper Fi
Honestly it might be even more entertaining than the Republicans in 2016, which I thought was the absolute bottom

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Gotta say it.
Following this thread instead of watching those idiots has been much more entertaining.
I honestly felt I was killing brain cells just watching the first 10 minutes.
How anyone with a modicum of intelligence and a knowledge of history could vote for any of those mental midgets is evidence of the need for a 5150 hold.

Semper Fi
OU812?

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Joe Biden has to be celebrating. None of these people sound like they step up and really challenge him.

I wouldn’t know as I’ve been stuck in travel Hell on freaking Quincy Illinois all evening.

Reactions: TexanBlood

Iz of Texas

Mar 26, 2012
Austin
She explained it. She was told by her family that she had native american blood, which is completely reasonable. You didn't accept it that is fine. But quit this nonsense about lying.
As a UT Law graduate and member of the Texas bar, I have an incredible problem with her listing "American Indian" as her race on her bar registration card. On the scale of "honesty" there is "purposeful dishonesty" on one end and "absolutely confident honesty" on the other end. Somewhere in the middle is "I think I'm telling the truth." Her belief in her ancestry, at best, meets that middle definition. And on that particular document, each response must meet the highest standard of honesty in my opinion. She did not. A reasonable person would list a race that matches the majority of their ancestry or would at least explain a response otherwise. Her's did neither and her subsequent responses indicate that she knew she had the barest of native ancestry at best. I may be mistaken but I believe that document is subject to the same standards for perjury as an affidavit. If it isn't...well I personally would treat it as such. I believe those are high standards that weren't met here.

Her policies kind of suck too.

The_Major

Apr 2, 2012
Austin, Texas
She explained it. She was told by her family that she had native american blood, which is completely reasonable. You didn't accept it that is fine. But quit this nonsense about lying.
There is no way in hell I will ever believe a man with your intelligence could be that gullible. Even if her story is true she knew she was mostly white. Yet she still listed herself as a Native American. I have lots of friends that claim to have Cherokee blood but they don't claim to be Cherokee on legal forms.

I'd like to see someone dig up her elementary school records and see what race her parents listed her as. I'll bet you $$ it wasn't Indian.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasPalladin

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015
Could’ve sworn somebody here has been reminding everyone about Beto being a fake Hispanic. I’d like to thank Beto for proving that poster’s been correct

Almost sounded like an Irish trying to be Hispanic

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Could’ve sworn somebody here has been reminding everyone about Beto being a fake Hispanic. I’d like to thank Beto for proving that poster’s been correct

You got anything else about Beto?

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
There is no way in hell I will ever believe a man with your intelligence could be that gullible. Even if her story is true she knew she was mostly white. Yet she still listed herself as a Native American. I have lots of friends that claim to have Cherokee blood but they don't claim to be Cherokee on legal forms.

I'd like to see someone dig up her elementary school records and see what race her parents listed her as. I'll bet you $$ it wasn't Indian.
When you're 1/1064 native and 1063/1064 white European, you don't call yourself native unless you do it purposely to earn a privilege reserved for real natives.

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008
As a UT Law graduate and member of the Texas bar, I have an incredible problem with her listing "American Indian" as her race on her bar registration card. On the scale of "honesty" there is "purposeful dishonesty" on one end and "absolutely confident honesty" on the other end. Somewhere in the middle is "I think I'm telling the truth." Her belief in her ancestry, at best, meets that middle definition. And on that particular document, each response must meet the highest standard of honesty in my opinion. She did not. A reasonable person would list a race that matches the majority of their ancestry or would at least explain a response otherwise. Her's did neither and her subsequent responses indicate that she knew she had the barest of native ancestry at best. I may be mistaken but I believe that document is subject to the same standards for perjury as an affidavit. If it isn't...well I personally would treat it as such. I believe those are high standards that weren't met here.

Her policies kind of suck too.
Her career was based on the lie that she was a minority. She basically stole her job at Harvard from a real minority. How she's not called out on this fact is baffling to me.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
The consensus of the pundits is that Beto hurt himself last night, and Castro was the biggest winner.

My thought is that with everyone else trying to out-liberal each other, all Joe has to do is just hold a steady course, and not make stupid mistakes.

My other thought is that apparently Donald Trump is paying a bunch of these people to throw the election to him. Good Lord people. The pubs couldn’t have done a better job painting the Democrats are a bunch of far left loonies if they had just run a commercial themselves.

TEXBTP

Oct 29, 2008

He mispronounced words in Spanish.

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008
The consensus of the pundits is that Beto hurt himself last night, and Castro was the biggest winner.

My thought is that with everyone else trying to out-liberal each other, all Joe has to do is just hold a steady course, and not make stupid mistakes.

My other thought is that apparently Donald Trump is paying a bunch of these people to throw the election to him. Good Lord people. The pubs couldn’t have done a better job painting the Democrats are a bunch of far left loonies if they had just run a commercial themselves.
That's like asking water not to be wet.

BTW: I've said before that Trump can't win the 2020 election on his own. He needs help from the Dems and they seem to want to oblige.

Last edited:

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
I didn't watch the debates but reading about them this morning it sounds like Elizabeth Warren, Castro and Booker came out the best and likely improved their standing amongst the 20 or so who are running. Beto seems to be done from what I'm reading. Other than he's not Ted Cruz I never could see what those who voted for him in the Texas Senate election saw in him. The talk that he can beat John Cornyn and should run again, probably done.

The next one with Joe, Mayor Pete, and Kamala Harris will likely be more interesting.

Do you guys think after the dust settles that we'll see some of these candidates announce they are dropping out of the race before Iowa?

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Of course we all should listen to this Celebrity Political Guru!

Alyssa Milano gave a detailed review of three candidates, writing:
".@JulianCastro’s having a break out night. He mentioned #ERANow & ending section 1325.
.@CoryBooker has x-factor presence. Powerful. Incredibly special. Commanding the stage and the room.
.@ewarren makes it all look so effortless. Fluid. Brilliant. She is flawless. #Demdebate"

SmackBrown

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas, TX
Of course we all should listen to this Celebrity Political Guru!

Alyssa Milano gave a detailed review of three candidates, writing:
".@JulianCastro’s having a break out night. He mentioned #ERANow & ending section 1325.
.@CoryBooker has x-factor presence. Powerful. Incredibly special. Commanding the stage and the room.
.@ewarren makes it all look so effortless. Fluid. Brilliant. She is flawless. #Demdebate"
She's lucky she's hot, because there is a major void upstairs.

Reactions: The_Major

TEXBTP

Oct 29, 2008
The ERA is redundant. 14th amendment applies to us all. All it would do is force women into compulsory military service, which is why it died in the first place.

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008
I didn't watch the debates but reading about them this morning it sounds like Elizabeth Warren, Castro and Booker came out the best and likely improved their standing amongst the 20 or so who are running. Beto seems to be done from what I'm reading. Other than he's not Ted Cruz I never could see what those who voted for him in the Texas Senate election saw in him. The talk that he can beat John Cornyn and should run again, probably done.

The next one with Joe, Mayor Pete, and Kamala Harris will likely be more interesting.

Do you guys think after the dust settles that we'll see some of these candidates announce they are dropping out of the race before Iowa?
Attrition will be starting soon. If candidates don't start getting traction in the polls their money will dry up and they'll be forced out. By the time Iowa comes the number of candidates will be down to single digits.

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Even Bill Maher not impressed.

"Not a promising start. Nobody came close to answering the first question, a good one: With 70% saying they like the economy, shld we make radical changes to it? Only interchangable chunks from the stump speeches. You're going to have to answer that at some point, guess not tonite," Bill Maher noted.

acreativeusername

Nov 27, 2016
Even Bill Maher not impressed.

"Not a promising start. Nobody came close to answering the first question, a good one: With 70% saying they like the economy, shld we make radical changes to it? Only interchangable chunks from the stump speeches. You're going to have to answer that at some point, guess not tonite," Bill Maher noted.
Yep, the first question was a great one, and everyone avoided it. These debates need to hold speakers accountable. Cut their mic, or just say “you didn’t answer the question, 10 minute penalty” or something

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
I'd say Inslee, is the moron, but that doesn't narrow it down. But then, I've also done some reaing on Inlsee and his Energy plan is fine if you live in Seattle public transportation and your electricity is generated hydropower. Which, shockingly, doesn't work so well in most of the country, and we've dammed most of the Rivers that are any good for it already, but for Environmental reasons we're now destroying the dams we alredy have in place. He may not be a moron, but obviously he's fine with willful ignorance as long as he gets votes.

Last edited:

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
I agree I think the peak of the Laffer curve is between 35 and 45, although its anyones guess. Its 37.5 right now but set to go back up to 40 in a couple years.
I don't want to see the corporate tax rate go up. I'd been bitching for years to lower it, and I don't want it to go back up.
So you're a believer in the Modern Monetary Theory school that we just print all the money we need?

Ooops left out this ;)

Last edited:

40A

Feb 20, 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
Delaney is running to be the next chief of staff. Booker wants to be AG. Gabbard is running for President in 2024.
Beto is running for his puppet master.
Warren is my favorite of this bunch.
I wish inslee would shut up about climate change
It's fun watching your slide into Progressivism.

Reactions: bHero

theelusiveshadow

Nov 2, 2016
I did not watch live. So... what kind of circus show was this such that candidates were trying to one up each other with Spanish?

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
barkingcarnival.fantake.com
I did not watch live. So... what kind of circus show was this such that candidates were trying to one up each other with Spanish?
Beyond awkward. Most of what they said read like hollywood twitter accounts think poor people and minorities should be mad about, mixed with everything the government does is evil (so we'll increase it's size to fix it), and rich people like to put their boots on drowning poor people's heads for fun. Oh, and "reproductive justice" is apparently a thing.

I'm sure the next pub debate will have Trump reading from the Gospel of John, maybe in Greek if we're lucky.

Just another reminder of why I hate politics.