1st Democrat debate thread

scott_tiger

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Aug 11, 2012
Beyond awkward. Most of what they said read like hollywood twitter accounts think poor people and minorities should be mad about, mixed with everything the government does is evil (so we'll increase it's size to fix it), and rich people like to put their boots on drowning poor people's heads for fun. Oh, and "reproductive justice" is apparently a thing.

I'm sure the next pub debate will have Trump reading from the Gospel of John, maybe in Greek if we're lucky.

Just another reminder of why I hate politics.
Should stick with 2 Corinthians. He nailed that

JG

Oct 29, 2008
CNN will day this will be a difficult race because they all had strong foundational ideas, rife with morality, and it’s hard to separate them because of how amazing they all are.

Well, not ALL of them. Regarding Beto...

"Hard to watch. Badly out of his depth from a policy perspective. Too rehearsed in his answers. The idea of him starting his first answer of the debate by speaking Spanish might have seemed like a good idea in his debate prep room but it played as pandering and overly planned in the moment. If one of O'Rourke's goals coming into this debate was to show he was more than a good-looking but sort of empty vessel, it, um, didn't work. "

Ouch.

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
Did anyone else watch the second debate tonight. I tuned in and out.

NBC again did a terrible job. How do you not ask about today's Supreme Court decisions? Just dumb.

Kamala pretty much murdered Biden up there and that exchange on busing will the headline. She won the night. I don't think she can win in the general but she's a very strong candidate.

Mayor Pete did pretty well.

Biden didn't do well.

Bernie did badly but his bros won't care.

That's my $0.10 analysis.

U.S. Bates

Nov 2, 2009
Here

NBC again did a terrible job. How do you not ask about today's Supreme Court decisions? Just dumb.

Kamala pretty much murdered Biden up there and that exchange on busing will the headline. She won the night. I don't think she can win in the general but she's a very strong candidate.

Biden didn't do well.

Interesting. Still glad i didn’t watch. :)

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015

Biden didn't do well.

Biden looks like he doesn't wanna be there; I'm not sure he makes through the summer. Dems have some scared white guys afraid of Kamala & Tulsi; those 2 will get a huge jump in fundraising soon

Reactions: TexasPalladin

sacatomato horn

Member Who Talks
Sep 15, 2016

Biden didn't do well.

Watching Squawk Box this morning. Frank Luntz saying Harris was "brilliant" in slicing up Joe Biden with the race card. This will play really well in South Carolina, 40% of the primary voters are black. I had been wondering why Kamala had been performing so poorly. She's a playa now.

• Wow

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Donald Trump has to be happy after this first round of debates. The odds of him getting re-elected just went up significantly.

The only Dem remotely interested in the center looked old and tired.

I did like Harris before the debate, but she's still, like the others, falling too far left. I liked how Castro came off as well, but Castro is going to need some people to fall by the wayside if he is to have a chance. Wouldn't shock me, though, if some of Beto's money bails on him and goes to either Harris or Castro now.

texvet16

Jan 15, 2017
Health care for illegal immigrants endorsed by all dems..... probably shot themselves in the crotch with that one. Going to be interesting to see how soon Biden will flip flop on that one because you know he will. One of the female candidates last night said that taking a detained illegal immigrant child from their parents was kidnapping. After that brilliant legal analysis, one has to wonder if we aren't being lead by some of the most unremarkable individuals in the history of our country. Gillibrand is Hillary 4.0, completely wooden and empty inside.

Last edited:

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Donald Trump has to be happy after this first round of debates. The odds of him getting re-elected just went up significantly.

The only Dem remotely interested in the center looked old and tired.

I did like Harris before the debate, but she's still, like the others, falling too far left. I liked how Castro came off as well, but Castro is going to need some people to fall by the wayside if he is to have a chance. Wouldn't shock me, though, if some of Beto's money bails on him and goes to either Harris or Castro now.
Castro is looking for a VP shot. He is nowhere ready to be President.

acreativeusername

Nov 27, 2016

Biden didn't do well.

Bloomberg alert I got from Apple News was Kamala knocks Biden off game. You were absolutely right

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Looks like Kamala Harris was the big winner last night in terms of raising her profile, Biden had to have taken a hit, and Mayor Pete seems to be hanging in there.

Are you Dems ok with a Final 6 of Castro, Warren, Booker, Harris, Biden and Mayor Pete?

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Looks like Kamala Harris was the big winner last night in terms of raising her profile, Biden had to have taken a hit, and Mayor Pete seems to be hanging in there.

Are you Dems ok with a Final 6 of Castro, Warren, Booker, Harris, Biden and Mayor Pete?
2 blacks, 1 white, 1 Indian, 1 Mexican and 1 gay. The liberal Utopian mix.

futures2015

May 2, 2015

Based on what I'm reading, Tulsi Gabbard's performance so far should have her in the mix. Information on her views is thin - probably a plus. I'm guessing a more serious candidate in 2024/28

JG

Oct 29, 2008

Not really ok with any it at the moment...but that's what it looks like.

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
Castro is looking for a VP shot. He is nowhere ready to be President.
Every 4 years we get 3 types of candidates:

1) Those who just want to build their brand. (Marianne WIlliamson, Gabbard, maybe Inslee, the guy who hates circumcision, Donald Trump and Herman Cain in 2016)

2) Those who are pretending to run for president but actually just want a cabinet post. (Castro, Klobuchar, Rick Perry and Ben Carson in 2016)

3) in it to win it. (Biden, Kamala, Bernie, Warren, Booker, Mayor Pete)

Folks can move from Category 1 or 2 into 3, as Trump did in 2016. I’d also add a 4th category for whatever Beto is doing. Collecting material for blog posts, or something.

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015

Biden’s been accused of grabbing ass, the ultra hugger, & forcing his tongue into any woman he meets. & that was before he admitted to his segregationist approval

I’m confident he won’t be a finalist

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Every 4 years we get 3 types of candidates:

1) Those who just want to build their brand. (Marianne WIlliamson, Gabbard, maybe Inslee, the guy who hates circumcision, Donald Trump and Herman Cain in 2016)

2) Those who are pretending to run for president but actually just want a cabinet post. (Castro, Klobuchar, Rick Perry and Ben Carson in 2016)

3) in it to win it. (Biden, Kamala, Bernie, Warren, Booker, Mayor Pete)

Folks can move from Category 1 or 2 into 3, as Trump did in 2016. I’d also add a 4th category for whatever Beto is doing. Collecting material for blog posts, or something.
Beto has been prepped for this all his entire life, the only problem he doesn't have the mental skills or political instincts to compete on the big stage. This is a guy who believes his PR and isn't self-aware enough to realize he is an idiot.

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
a lot of my democrat friends seem to all like Klobuchar, she seems to be nowhere to me in terms of recognition though.

texvet16

Jan 15, 2017
Beto has been prepped for this all his entire life, the only problem he doesn't have the mental skills or political instincts to compete on the big stage. This is a guy who believes his PR and isn't self-aware enough to realize he is an idiot.
He peaked way too early and made the mistake of overestimating his own hype. Every time I see him interviewed his message gets dumber and weaker. His evolution has been like the Benjamin Button of Dem candidates.

ttaghorn

Oct 29, 2008
I sure wouldn't want to exclude ole Bernie as yet. Biden is barely hanging on, no pun to the ladies in the crowd. Harris stood out, she looks to be in front, and she does have some outstanding features. Just not ready to pick prime time candidates at this time. Its a long tough haul till 2021 election time. I keep thinking with so much time remaining the Demogods (democrats) will eat their young before this thing is decided. If they have more debates like last night, for sure they will alienate more voters, with ideas such as free medical care for illegal's. A really dumb and stupid idea, but when I think about it coming from the Democrats it makes perfect sense.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
I’d also add a 4th category for whatever Beto is doing.
Wasting a bunch of donor money, it appears to me. Dude is such a colossal disappointment to me after the Senate campaign here. Just shows how desperate Texas Dems are for a halfway decent candidate. This state is NOT dead red anymore; we just need some good and steady candidates to challenge the status quo. Unfortunately, we get this and people like Lupe Valdez.

Reactions: padrehorn11

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
He tried to run a presidential campaign like his Senate campaign. Which is dumb. It was a pretty darn good Senate campaign, or at least seemed like that from outside of Texas. He helped down-ballot Dems. But you can’t take your truck to every county in America. And yeah he listened to the advisors who said he had to run for president but ignored them when they told him how to do it. Book-smart guy, very good connecting with voters one on one, but horrendous political instincts. You have to be a killer. Kamala showed last night how it’s done.

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
Mayor Pete actually thinks he has a shot? Hahahaha.

Harris is more of a contender than I realized.
He thinks he does. I don't think he can win the general but that's a long way off. He's a guy who can do well in a caucus state like Iowa. He's a good candidate. He's got a lot of money. (Not breaking news but there are a lot of rich gay people.) But he'll eventually move to the second grouping, folks who are just there to get a job in the administration.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
He thinks he does. I don't think he can win the general but that's a long way off. He's a guy who can do well in a caucus state like Iowa. He's a good candidate. He's got a lot of money. (Not breaking news but there are a lot of rich gay people.) But he'll eventually move to the second grouping, folks who are just there to get a job in the administration.
Well if he thinks he does, he’s not as smart as I thought he was. There’s no way in hell the black and Hispanic electorate are voting for a man who has a husband. Which is too bad because him and Yang are clearly leaps and bounds smarter than anyone else on the panels.