1st Democrat debate thread

Horns05

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
AXE CAP
Based on what I'm reading, Tulsi Gabbard's performance so far should have her in the mix. Information on her views is thin - probably a plus. I'm guessing a more serious candidate in 2024/28
If they select her for nominee. They deserve the whipping they will get at the polls.

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
He tried to run a presidential campaign like his Senate campaign. Which is dumb. It was a pretty darn good Senate campaign, or at least seemed like that from outside of Texas.
A good candidate could have beaten Cruz, a less than popular Senator. A white democrat, posing as an Hispanic, winning the 16th Congressional district isn't much of a challenge. There has been one Republican representative in 120 years.

Reactions: windycityhorn

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
Wasting a bunch of donor money, it appears to me. Dude is such a colossal disappointment to me after the Senate campaign here. Just shows how desperate Texas Dems are for a halfway decent candidate. This state is NOT dead red anymore; we just need some good and steady candidates to challenge the status quo. Unfortunately, we get this and people like Lupe Valdez.
The problem with finding a capable Texas Democrat candidate is the lack of a deep bench. In the past when Texas changed from Blue to Red, the Dems had all the politicians then (a he big majority of voters and donors) but there was a big wing of conservative Democrats who simply switched parties. Some of them were decent candidates so the repubs got decent dandidates just by Party switches. Admittedly Tower had always been a Repub, but race issues effected that time a lot, and large numbers of conservative Democrat voterrs switched because of that.

The current Texas Democrats have a very shallow bench of decent candiates to choose from. Castro might have given Cornyn a run for the money, but I think he came to the conclusion he'd still lose and chose a run at President, even knowing he wouldn't be the nominee, but it would serve his goals better in the end. I think he might even turn down the VP slot if he thought the Dem nominee would be crushed. Dunno, he's still got to figure out how to get more name recognition. But he and his advisers seem like they understand political calculus anyway, which seems to be rare among Texas Democrats. He's killed his chances of swinging any conservative voters though by piling into the clown car that is the Democrat Presidential pool and taking strong left positions. So I think Hispanics are going to have to find a more moderate Hispanic candidate to take a stewide office, at least any time soon. Beto came close, but I think only because 1) Trump, 2) Cruz comes across as slimey and was thus much more beatable than Cornyn or Abbot, and 3) Beto was politically a blank slate and much more moderate as a Senatorial candidate. If Beto does what a lot of Democrats wants and drops out of the Presidential race to run against Cornyn, I don't think he'll came as close as he did against Cruz. I don't see anyone else with much of a chance to beat Cornyn, despite what the national Dems think.

ttaghorn

Oct 29, 2008
Well if he thinks he does, he’s not as smart as I thought he was. There’s no way in hell the black and Hispanic electorate are voting for a man who has a husband. Which is too bad because him and Yang are clearly leaps and bounds smarter than anyone else on the panels.
As I read your opening statement I nearly lost my lunch. Since when is having smart's a requisite for being a politician or even POTUS. I prefer to think of them as sly and devious, with the ability to get money from lots of folks to support their campaigns. Also the ability to tell folks what they want to hear, prior to voting time. Then its to hell with what they say they are going to do. After getting elected they all fall in line like a bunch of sheep going to the feed pen, and disdain all ideas not from their Party.

Reactions: TexanBlood

stevehorn

Oct 29, 2008
So I think Hispanics are going to have to find a more moderate Hispanic candidate to take a statewide office, at least any time soon. Beto came close, but I think only because 1) Trump, 2) Cruz comes across as slimey and was thus much more beatable than Cornyn or Abbot, and 3) Beto was politically a blank slate and much more moderate as a Senatorial candidate. If Beto does what a lot of Democrats wants and drops out of the Presidential race to run against Cornyn, I don't think he'll came as close as he did against Cruz. I don't see anyone else with much of a chance to beat Cornyn, despite what the national Dems think.
I think that is accurate. My oldest daughter attended several of Beto's rallies/events in the Austin area and from her feedback, he is excellent as a campaigner 1 on 1 or in small to medium sized groups. However I think he ran out of steam against Cruz when it came to the issues. He was very effective with populist stances, but advocating some of the national far left ideas just won't fly in Texas among moderates which he needs to have any chance of winning. While Cornyn doesn't generate excitement, he doesn't generate the dislike that Cruz does. If Beto does run against Cornyn, he can't run as the lapdog of the national Democratic party or he'll get smashed.

Reactions: PFD and padrehorn11

texvet16

Jan 15, 2017
Supporting unfettered illegal immigration as well as healthcare for illegal immigrants is horrifically stupid. My wife said that would swing her vote away from any Democrat nominee... And I don't think she's ever voted Republican in a general
Their stance on giving illegal immigrants free health care is an astonishingly dumb idea, which means they don't have any ideas. This is an absolute train wreck of a Dem line up. I still can't get over the one female candidate ( whose name doesn't deserve to be looked up) who said that taking illegal immigrant children from their parents was kidnapping. One of many stupid things I've heard over the course of these first two debates.

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
I think that is accurate. My oldest daughter attended several of Beto's rallies/events in the Austin area and from her feedback, he is excellent as a campaigner 1 on 1 or in small to medium sized groups. However I think he ran out of steam against Cruz when it came to the issues. He was very effective with populist stances, but advocating some of the national far left ideas just won't fly in Texas among moderates which he needs to have any chance of winning. While Cornyn doesn't generate excitement, he doesn't generate the dislike that Cruz does. If Beto does run against Cornyn, he can't run as the lapdog of the national Democratic party or he'll get smashed.
I think Beto has it stuck so far in now that he has killed his Texas chances until or unless the young start voting in proportion to their numbers, or a lot more the Olds (who have very high voting participation rates) die off. Hell, I'd get off my deathbed and crawl as far as I could to vote against any of the leftist Dems, and no one but a pretty far lefty seems to have much chance at a Democrat nomination.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
A good candidate could have beaten Cruz, a less than popular Senator. A white democrat, posing as an Hispanic, winning the 16th Congressional district isn't much of a challenge. There has been one Republican representative in 120 years.
Actually, I don't necessarily disagree. But what Beto proved is that if the Dems are active and spend some money, these races can be competitive.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Every 4 years we get 3 types of candidates:

1) Those who just want to build their brand. (Marianne WIlliamson, Gabbard, maybe Inslee, the guy who hates circumcision, Donald Trump and Herman Cain in 2016)

2) Those who are pretending to run for president but actually just want a cabinet post. (Castro, Klobuchar, Rick Perry and Ben Carson in 2016)

3) in it to win it. (Biden, Kamala, Bernie, Warren, Booker, Mayor Pete)

Folks can move from Category 1 or 2 into 3, as Trump did in 2016. I’d also add a 4th category for whatever Beto is doing. Collecting material for blog posts, or something.

Beto has big plans to go on another tour of the country to find himself.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Beto has been prepped for this all his entire life, the only problem he doesn't have the mental skills or political instincts to compete on the big stage. This is a guy who believes his PR and isn't self-aware enough to realize he is an idiot.
I said basically that about 6 months ago. He's a tool, has few ideas, no original thought, little depth and he's terrible on the debate stage. But, he skateboards.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
JG just guaranteed a landslide win for Trump.
What do you consider a “landslide”? He is not winning CA, or NY, or MA, or most of the
northeastern states, regardless of who runs.

houstonhorn

Member Who Talks
Sep 21, 2018
I like Yang. Though the problem with the sane people these last 2 nights is they have to cater to the nuts of the party and get pushed way too far to the left. Really, Trump's re-election got 4 hours of unsolicited help. The ads will write themselves as whoever wins this nomination is going to be tied to

1) Universal Health Care and the destruction of the private market place, costing millions of jobs and trillions of dollars to the economy, and the loss of insurance to over 150M people.
2) Free health care to illegals after kicking 150M off their plans
3) Fiat open borders through the stupidity of decriminalizing illegal border crossings.

The format needs to change. They should invite all 20 to a few rounds asking them government, economic, and history questions, i.e. The Weakest Link, when you get down to 5-6 people have your debate.

Reactions: JG

Halas

Nov 5, 2012
Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
Well if he thinks he does, he’s not as smart as I thought he was. There’s no way in hell the black and Hispanic electorate are voting for a man who has a husband. Which is too bad because him and Yang are clearly leaps and bounds smarter than anyone else on the panels.
I’ve said it multiple times. If the democrats were smart they would hitch their wagon to Yang and go with it.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Colbert's inability to rationally evaluate Trump and heavy-handed partisanship have really reduced him as a comedian. He often just comes off as annoying, pandering, and whiny now.

I started to watch that video but within a few minutes had to stop. I agree with you.