2017 DE/TE Xavier Waggoner

Jonathan Wells

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 18, 2012
Arlington, TX
I wrote a bit about Electra senior Xavier Waggoner today. He was an all-state DE as a junior and is a talented athlete, but what level of college he plays for will be all about projection, because he goes to a 2A Division II school and at this time he's between 6'3" and 6'4" and about 215 pounds. I'm told he's young for his class so he might have some growth left, and he has long arms and wide shoulders so he'll have room to add good upper body weight.

Relevant stats: 118 tackles and 5.5 sacks as a junior while playing mostly as a 4-tech DE in a 3-4 front. He also caught 17 passes for 335 yards and 4 TDs, sometimes lining up attached at tight end, other times flexed or split wide and matched up with a corner. In two games so far this season: 27 tackles, 2 sacks, 6 tackles for loss, one forced fumble, 4 receptions for 71 yards and 2 TDs. One of his scores was a last-minute 43-yard reception to give his team a comeback win in week one.

His head coach says: "Excellent feet for a guy his size", "excellent hands", "loose hips that help him move well for a taller guy", "the best blocking tight end I've ever had", "good kid that works hard and shows up every day", "You can take him anywhere and not worry about him or him embarrassing your program."

Other sporting feats: has been a multi-year starter in basketball, uses his length, leaping ability, and lower body strength well in the post. Averaged 14 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks per game as a junior and was his district's defensive player of the year. Led his team to their regional final.

Genes: his uncle Stephen Gaines was a defensive tackle at Texas Tech and lettered in 1992-1993.

He could end up playing anywhere from Angelo State, to Abilene Christian, to UTEP or SMU, and I wouldn't be surprised in any result. A coach would have to get an up close look at him to get a good sense of his body type and what kind of weight he might be able to hold in the future. He's among my favorite small school kids in this class, and I can see him playing DE for a D1 somewhere in 2-3 years, but I can just as easily see him being an all-league player in the Lone Star Conference in a few years.

From what I'm told, most of the college interest he's received so far has been from the FCS level and maybe D2 programs with cardinal directions in their name.

You can see his junior football highlights here: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3364157/572a4512e984d43094f86014
And see some of his basketball exploits here: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3364157/573e2032ed57ee0a60d7317b

Anyone think he might just have a FBS future? Would it be a stretch to say he's, at worst, a poor man's Bryce Cottrell?