2017 Taylor WR Malik Jackson hearing from some big names

josephcook

Inside Texas Writer
Staff member
Feb 11, 2013
Austin
image.jpg

TAYLOR -- While the top of the state’s wide receiver crop in 2017 is one of the best in recent memory, the wide receiver class also is very deep. Some great athletes are overlooked just because of the talent at the top, including Taylor WR Malik Jackson.

Taylor is about an hour outside of Austin in Williamson County, with the Taylor Ducks competing in the 4A classification. Currently in an offense that is a simpler version of what Sterlin Gilbert runs at Texas, Jackson decided to stay in that system at the next level, committing to Phillip Montgomery and Tulsa in June.

Although he is only rated as a composite two star, Jackson has great measurables. He stands at 6-foot-3, and weighs around 205 pounds. He plays football and competes in the long jump, and if @brownrecluse liked what he saw, that’s enough for me. Despite his low rating, Jackson has played well against division one talent. He had a huge game with multiple scores against Yoakum, with both Joshua Moore and Jordan Moore covering him at various points in the evening. In a matchup against Caldwell, Jackson had two receptions for 49 yards and a touchdown lined up against Texas A&M commit Devin Morris before Jackson had to exit due to injury.

While still committed to Tulsa, Jackson is beginning to hear from some bigger schools. Inside Texas was able to catch up with him after practice on Wednesday.

IT: I saw you play a couple weeks ago against Yoakum and was impressed. You use size well.

MJ: Thank you, Thank you.

IT: What is your size at right now?

MJ: I’m 6-foot-3, 205-215. I go down and up.

IT: What’s it like playing in an offense that showcases receivers and likes getting the ball to them a bunch.

MJ: I just like how exciting it is. I just like scoring and running the score up.

IT: Let’s get into recruiting a little bit. Why did you choose Tulsa?

MJ: I really like the offense, and [receivers] Coach [Calvin] Lowry.

IT: Do you think you’ll be able to play early since the offense up there is similar to the one you run now?

MJ: Yes sir. That’s the goal.

IT: Are other schools showing interest in you right now?

MJ: They’re starting to. Texas A&M is one. Baylor too.

IT: Thanks Malik.

MJ: Thank you.

Jackson is good with his Tulsa commitment right now and likes what is there. I believe that if other schools came calling, he would listen. With that in mind, Jackson is beginning to garner interest from the Aggies, with A&M coaches reaching out to the Taylor staff. If Jackson continues to have a solid season, I would not be surprised if his ranking went up at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:

brownrecluse

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 30, 2009
I thought he was really good, but what do I know? It was tough to judge him or the Moore twins since neither team had a gifted thrower to get them the ball. I could tell that they were really gifted athletes, but beyond that, I wasn't sure. Jackson made one really impressive grab over Josh Moore

Jonathan Wells

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 18, 2012
Arlington, TX
@Ghost has been driving the Malik Jackson bandwagon on this board, for the most part. Really good player, hope he finds his way to a program that can maximize his talents.

Ghost

Member Who Talks
Aug 27, 2016
@Ghost has been driving the Malik Jackson bandwagon on this board, for the most part. Really good player, hope he finds his way to a program that can maximize his talents.
Yes sir, I have. I've been watching him since his Sophmore season, comes from family of athletes. I also know him personally.

He just had over 120 receiving yards 2 TD's on 4 receptions against La Grange.

Ghost

Member Who Talks
Aug 27, 2016
View attachment 10429

TAYLOR -- While the top of the state’s wide receiver crop in 2017 is one of the best in recent memory, the wide receiver class also is very deep. Some great athletes are overlooked just because of the talent at the top, including Taylor WR Malik Jackson.

Taylor is about an hour outside of Austin in Williamson County, with the Taylor Ducks competing in the 4A classification. Currently in an offense that is a simpler version of what Sterlin Gilbert runs at Texas, Jackson decided to stay in that system at the next level, committing to Phillip Montgomery and Tulsa in June.

Although he is only rated as a composite two star, Jackson has great measurables. He stands at 6-foot-3, and weighs around 205 pounds. He plays football and competes in the long jump, and if @brownrecluse liked what he saw, that’s enough for me. Despite his low rating, Jackson has played well against division one talent. He had a huge game with multiple scores against Yoakum, with both Joshua Moore and Jordan Moore covering him at various points in the evening. In a matchup against Caldwell, Jackson had two receptions for 49 yards and a touchdown lined up against Texas A&M commit Devin Morris before Jackson had to exit due to injury.

While still committed to Tulsa, Jackson is beginning to hear from some bigger schools. Inside Texas was able to catch up with him after practice on Wednesday.

IT: I saw you play a couple weeks ago against Yoakum and was impressed. You use size well.

MJ: Thank you, Thank you.

IT: What is your size at right now?

MJ: I’m 6-foot-3, 205-215. I go down and up.

IT: What’s it like playing in an offense that showcases receivers and likes getting the ball to them a bunch.

MJ: I just like how exciting it is. I just like scoring and running the score up.

IT: Let’s get into recruiting a little bit. Why did you choose Tulsa?

MJ: I really like the offense, and [receivers] Coach [Calvin] Lowry.

IT: Do you think you’ll be able to play early since the offense up there is similar to the one you run now?

MJ: Yes sir. That’s the goal.

IT: Are other schools showing interest in you right now?

MJ: They’re starting to. Texas A&M is one. Baylor too.

IT: Thanks Malik.

MJ: Thank you.

Jackson is good with his Tulsa commitment right now and likes what is there. I believe that if other schools came calling, he would listen. With that in mind, Jackson is beginning to garner interest from the Aggies, with A&M coaches reaching out to the Taylor staff. If Jackson continues to have a solid season, I would not be surprised if his ranking went up at some point.
Also had over 100 yards and 2 tds against 3 star Jaqualyn Crawford in week 2.

Ghost

Member Who Talks
Aug 27, 2016
I thought he was really good, but what do I know? It was tough to judge him or the Moore twins since neither team had a gifted thrower to get them the ball. I could tell that they were really gifted athletes, but beyond that, I wasn't sure. Jackson made one really impressive grab over Josh Moore
2 impressive catches over Josh Moore.