2017 WR Caleb Twyford (Farmersville)

Jonathan Wells

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 18, 2012
Arlington, TX
I wrote a bit about this kid in my post at BON this morning. He attends Farmersville, a 3A Division I school. He was described to me as between 6' and 6'1" and about 175 pounds. He was primarily a wide receiver and DB as a freshman and sophomore, then moved to running back as a junior and rushed for over 1,200 yards and 21 TDs. In last week's season opener he rushed for 295 yards on just 9 carries and had TD runs of 92, 65, and 76 yards. See his week one highlights here: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2908053/57c1b3a6051e323cf827c675

I've long seen him as a future corner but most colleges that have shown interest project him as a slot receiver. Texas State offered him in June, Rice really likes him but hasn't offered, and UL-Lafayette and New Mexico have shown some interest, but he doesn't seem to be getting much of a look from other schools lately. His coach was the offensive coordinator at Van when five-star running back Jermie Calhoun was a senior there, and he says Twyford has similar lateral movement and burst to what Calhoun had, though he's not carrying 210 pounds or more like Calhoun was. He's not a high-level track athlete but is very fast on the football field and "carries his pads very well", according to his coach.

Unless UNT is full at receiver I don't understand why they're not showing more interest, since he's not that far from them, or SMU for that matter (Farmersville is about 35 miles northeast of Dallas). I'm sure his recruitment would be a lot more active if he were an inside receiver at a Southlake Carroll or Westlake level program and not a 3A school in a town of 3,000 people not known for producing D1 athletes. Texas State should not be his only offer, and in a class less insanely deep at wide receiver than the 2017 group is I think he might have more and better offers by now.

His junior year highlights can be seen here: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/2908053/5721cc5abd746d007c6c1251

Reactions: Justin Wells