2019 Cuero ATH Jordan Whittington beginning to shine

josephcook

Inside Texas Writer
Staff member
Feb 11, 2013
Austin
DeWitt County’s Best – Part II
Earlier in the season, I made my way to DeWitt county to check out Josh Moore, Jordan Moore and Silas Robinson in Yoakum. Robinson and the Moores are some of the best players in the county, but one of the best players in the state and nation also plays in DeWitt, just for Yoakum’s biggest rival, Cuero.

2019 ATH Jordan Whittington is the playmaker on both sides of the ball for the Cuero Gobblers. The sophomore does it all for the Gobblers, with 15 receptions for 237 yards and four touchdowns on the season. Against an overmatched Aransas Pass team, Whittington had a big game, catching six balls for 75 yards and two touchdowns. It would have been three had a long run not been called back by a penalty.

Whittington, although just a sophomore, is built like someone several years older. Listed at 6-foot-1, 190 pounds, He is solid at receiver, jumping over corners for his two touchdown catches. He also comes downhill very quickly from the safety position, showing sure tackling form and good vision to meet the ball carrier or receiver. Whittington does have somewhat of a preference, though. “I like scoring touchdowns more,” he said.

As a sophomore, his recruiting process is just getting started. Whittington has racked up offers from many in state programs, as well as from one of the nation’s elite.

“Right now, out of my offers, A&M and Ohio State are sticking out a lot right now, “ Whittington said. “Ole Miss, I like Ole Miss. Texas, of course. Out of my offers, it’s A&M and Ohio State right now sticking out a lot.”

In addition to offers from the Aggies and the Buckeyes, Whittington has offers from Baylor, UH, TCU, Texas Tech and Utah, among others. Whittington talks with Aaron Moorehead the most at A&M, and has visited College Station several times in the past month.

Whittington, even as an athlete, is getting a look mostly at receiver over safety.

“My only offer from defense is from Baylor,” Whittington said. “Everyone else has offered me at receiver.”

As far the stud sophomore’s relationship with Texas, Whittington said he keeps up with Vance Bedford the most. Texas has yet to offer, but it is a school on his radar. It’s a safe bet that Texas will offer Whittington, but they will likely be one of 30 to 40 schools competing for his signature.