2020 Democratic Primaries

SAhornfan

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Five months out from the caucuses, Liz Warren has jumped to a big lead over Joe Biden. She has the far left credentials for the primaries, but is she electable in the general? My center left friends think she is just as unappealing as Hillary.

In many ways, she is identical to Trump as an economic populist, just with a different set of demons. His are China\Unfair Trade, The Press, Beltway Swamp, hers are Private Equity, Big Oil\Pharma\Banks (anything big is bad except government), and any conservative with a yacht.

Some choice. The ultimate narcissist vs. Krupskaya.

https://iowastartingline.com/2019/08/15/poll-elizabeth-warren-jumps-out-to-big-lead-in-the-iowa-caucus/
How many front-runners got their asses handed to them in Iowa and then went on to win the nomination? Sorry to my wife's family but Iowa means **** for the primaries.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Five months out from the caucuses, Liz Warren has jumped to a big lead over Joe Biden. She has the far left credentials for the primaries, but is she electable in the general? My center left friends think she is just as unappealing as Hillary.

In many ways, she is identical to Trump as an economic populist, just with a different set of demons. His are China\Unfair Trade, The Press, Beltway Swamp, hers are Private Equity, Big Oil\Pharma\Banks (anything big is bad except government), and any conservative with a yacht.

Some choice. The ultimate narcissist vs. Krupskaya.

https://iowastartingline.com/2019/08/15/poll-elizabeth-warren-jumps-out-to-big-lead-in-the-iowa-caucus/
I always thought Bernie was the Dem version of Trump's populism, but she is catching him.

As a center left person myself, YES she is just as unappealing as Hillary. Maybe she doesn't have Hillary's baggage, but she has the same annoying strident Northeastern voice. And her policies won't gain support from independents.

Would I support her in the general against Trump? Oh yeah. But please, PLEASE, Dems, put someone else up.

On a slightly related note, I think Tulsi Gabbard has made the next round of debates. Maybe she can provide a different voice.

Reactions: TexanBlood

sacatomato horn

Member Who Talks
Sep 15, 2016
How many front-runners got their asses handed to them in Iowa and then went on to win the nomination? Sorry to my wife's family but Iowa means **** for the primaries.
None this century. Every winner of the Democratic Iowa Caucus since 2000 has gone on to win the nomination. (Clinton, Obama, Kerry, Gore)
You're right about the Pubs- Cruz, Santorum, etc.

Reactions: TexasPalladin

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
None this century. Every winner of the Democratic Iowa Caucus since 2000 has gone on to win the nomination. (Clinton, Obama, Kerry, Gore)
You're right about the Pubs- Cruz, Santorum, etc.
I purposely didn't pick a party on that one. It's a very different story if you look at '72-'16. Hell 1972 and 1976 the uncommitteds lead the pack for Dems.

Last edited:

Horns05

Oct 29, 2008
AXE CAP
I always thought Bernie was the Dem version of Trump's populism, but she is catching him.

As a center left person myself, YES she is just as unappealing as Hillary. Maybe she doesn't have Hillary's baggage, but she has the same annoying strident Northeastern voice. And her policies won't gain support from independents.

Would I support her in the general against Trump? Oh yeah. But please, PLEASE, Dems, put someone else up.

On a slightly related note, I think Tulsi Gabbard has made the next round of debates. Maybe she can provide a different voice.
She sucks too

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Reactions: Horns05

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Obama not exactly happy about Biden running for Prez.

He probably realized he is a gaffe machine. He spent 8 years with him

Here's his latest.

Reactions: UTGrad91

futures2015

May 2, 2015
New Candidate Surges to the Top of Democratic Polls

A new candidate has come out of nowhere to surge in the polls in the Democratic primary, and she’s only six years old. Susie Peters of Minneapolis, Minnesota, was on a local news segment where children gave their opinions on world problems, and she asked, “Why can’t we just give everyone everything they want for free?” The message quickly went viral and really resonated with Democratic voters, propelling Susie from unknown to third in most polls, ahead of Bernie Sanders and just behind Elizabeth Warren and Joe Biden.

"She really has a plan for everything,” said Melinda Carlson, one of Susie’s enthusiastic supporters. “While Elizabeth Warren only has a plan for getting people free health care and free college, Susie has a plan to get everyone free everything. She’s truly a visionary.”
Susie has unveiled her new popular campaign slogan, “But I want it!

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Given all the gaffes that Joe has made his entire career they are not going away, and given his age they are going to be more frequent. I have to wonder as the pressure ratchets up will they increase even more so that they can't be ignored as just Joe...he's a little forgetful. The media will certainly try their best to cover them up or not report them

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Nobody talks about why Joe Biden didn't serve in Vietnam do they? He didn't have bone spurs like Trump!

Just a few months before President Donald Trump received his now-infamous diagnosis of “bone spurs in the heels,” former high school football star Biden got the same 1-Y draft deferment for “asthma as a teenager.” It was one of five deferments Biden received (the same number as notorious GOP “draft dodger” Dick Cheney) and allowed him to avoid being drafted at the height of the war. The year 1968 was one of the bloodiest of the Vietnam conflict with 296,406 Americans drafted into military service — the second-highest during the war.
https://www.insidesources.com/joe-bidens-draft-record-looks-a-lot-like-donald-trumps-do-democrats-care/

TEXBTP

Oct 29, 2008
Reactions: J Galt

eodhorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 24, 2018
Surprise, Arizona
This is too funny. Clinton, Bush, Cheney, Trump, and Biden, all made it to the first or second highest office in the land, and they all have the same thing in common.
With few exceptions they all had powerful families to influence their ability to not join/be drafted. I am less concerned about that than politicians who did serve, but in non-combatant capacities yet use their service to act as if they have been in the ****. Mayor Pete. Biden and Hillary talking about how they had been shot at is also pretty ****ing terrible as well. It’s probably the only thing worse than those who use their service time to say they did and saw things they didn’t.

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008
He can't help it. He's a gaffe machine like you posted earlier.

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008
These gaffes and misstatements are coming on a daily basis. I kind of feel sorry for the guy TBH and don't think he'll go the distance.

Reactions: PFD

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
I wonder if he endorsed Yugo's too.That could have been there motto.

Semper Fi
I knew someone in college that drove one of those. The window hand crank came off in his hand when he was putting the window up. Complete POS. Red.

View attachment 46390
Reminds me of one of my favorite SNL commercials, for the affordable new Adobe (narrated by the great Phil Hartman):

These days, everyone’s talking about the Hyundai, and the Yugo. Both nice cars, if you’ve got $3,000 or $4,000 to throw around. But, for those of us whose name doesn’t happen to be Rockefeller, finally there’s some good news – a car with a sticker price of $179. That’s right, $179. The name of the car?

Adobe. The sassy new Mexican import that’s made out of clay. German engineering and Mexican know-how helped create the first car to break the $200 barrier. At this price, you might not expect more than reliable transportation – but, brother, you get it! Extra features: like the custom contour seats, or the beverage-gripping dash. And the money you save isn’t exactly small change!

Adobe. You can buy a cheaper car. But I wouldn’t recommend it!

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
Even the "moderate" of the party is sliding left. You may not want to vote for Trump, but you damn sure shouldn't vote for the other guys.

That's a little more than a slide. As far as I can tell, each and every one of them has gone so far out in left field they've left the ball park, and are tailgating in the parking lot where everything is free, if you just smile like you know what you're doing and take what you want. Or, if you're Bernie, you make yourself obnoxious enough to get a free beer and burger to just go away.

ttaghorn

Oct 29, 2008

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Welcome to the latest installment of “Beto O’Rourke: Real Person,” starring everyone’s favorite deep thinker, Robert Francis O’Rourke.

You’ve enjoyed previous episodes, we’re sure, such as Beto Goes On the Road, Beto Goes To The Dentist, Beto Gets A Haircut, and Beto Changes A Tire.

Now you can enjoy “Beto Flips Burgers.”

A real man's man.