2020 Democratic Primaries

Iz of Texas

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Mar 26, 2012
Austin
Remember that one guy you thought had interesting, well thought out ideas and was superior to the other candidates. Yeah, about him.

I'd actually be curious to do a real analysis on the emissions generated by a Southwest aircraft going from, say Austin to LA, as compared to 180 cars driving from Austin to LA...or maybe being generous, 100 cars (assuming passengers traveling together).

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
I'd actually be curious to do a real analysis on the emissions generated by a Southwest aircraft going from, say Austin to LA, as compared to 180 cars driving from Austin to LA...or maybe being generous, 100 cars (assuming passengers traveling together).
Doesn't matter. He not only wants to end commercial air travel, but he wants to buy back all fossil fuel automobiles and replace them with electric cars. You get a free car and you get a free car and you get a free car. The issues these candidates are discussing are crazy.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
I watched some of that Biden Town Hall...it's scary watching him. He's asked questions and his answers drift all over the place...somehow he says he's always been for High Speed rail, it'll take 1 million cars off the road? Huh? How's it working out in California, and what's the cost. I think even JG is not on the HIgh Speed Rail train for the USA.
No I’m not.

Its a massively expensive pipe dream. Only works in heavily populated fairly short corridors.

Cali’s rail COULD have worked, until the San Joaquin Valley politicians demanded it be routed there. It is like having a Dallas to San Antonio rail routed through Abilene.

These things are so expensive to put in once places are built up.

Reactions: padrehorn11

JG

Oct 29, 2008
I’m sure it would be less than a train over that distance.

People think trains don’t have emissions because they are electric. Except where does that electricity come from?

futures2015

May 2, 2015
Vote for this guy at your own peril, or maybe the peril of people in 3rd world countries. Man, these dem candidates are all nuts.

Eugenics anyone?
So rich, old, white man, Bernie Sanders wants to finance a program which will roam the world killing black & brown babies in the womb ... you know ... to combat climate change?

Words fail me.

Somebody needs to check on JG ... this idea may literally drive him crazy.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
So rich, old, white man, Bernie Sanders wants to finance a program which will roam the world killing black & brown babies in the womb ... you know ... to combat climate change?

Words fail me.

My initial thought was why not just off the old people starting with Bernie. Three obvious problems: 1. Old people won't live as long so they'll be gone in short order. 2. The olds are for soylent green and not just target practice. 3. Bernie would be in charge and guys like him that are in charge aren't offing themselves.

I mean, I might take some of these candidates seriously if there was any policy discussion whatsoever. I was willing to listen to Yang but he went all prog with endorsing the GND, eliminating commercial air travel, freaking out about the climate, buying back fossil fuel autos and putting everyone in even dirtier electric cars, not too mention he's a UBI fan which absolutely won't work well enough to do it and once you give it to people you won't be able to take it back. (See: ****ty healthcare policy called Obamacare).

Reactions: futures2015

JG

Oct 29, 2008

Words fail me.

I'm trying very hard to ignore all of the nonsense coming out of the run-up to the primaries.

Just printed out my ticket for the game tomorrow night, so at least I'm good for this weekend.

Reactions: etexhorn

The_Major

Apr 2, 2012
Austin, Texas

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
My initial thought was why not just off the old people starting with Bernie. Three obvious problems: 1. Old people won't live as long so they'll be gone in short order. 2. The olds are for soylent green and not just target practice. 3. Bernie would be in charge and guys like him that are in charge aren't offing themselves.
4. Take it from an Old, we're mostly well-armed and know how to shoot. Put that with the fact that most of us didn't get to be Olds without a strong desire to live and the mostly the dumbest ones have already weeded themselves out and you're gonna need JG's tanks and truckloads of young guys with guns to take us down. Couple that with the fact that our carbon footprint generally isn't that large (it's not like we're driving to work everyday) and even though we may fart a bit more than the younguns, and it's a big net negative if the goal is to lower CO2 emissions.

No, if you want to reduce the carbon footprint, you start with the Millennials.

You could get the gaga ones in nursing homes pretty easily, but their carbon foot print is really small.

futures2015

May 2, 2015
4. Take it from an Old, we're mostly well-armed and know how to shoot. Put that with the fact that most of us didn't get to be Olds without a strong desire to live and the mostly the dumbest ones have already weeded themselves out and you're gonna need JG's tanks and truckloads of young guys with guns to take us down. Couple that with the fact that our carbon footprint generally isn't that large (it's not like we're driving to work everyday) and even though we may fart a bit more than the younguns, and it's a big net negative if the goal is to lower CO2 emissions.

No, if you want to reduce the carbon footprint, you start with the Millennials.

You could get the gaga ones in nursing homes pretty easily, but their carbon foot print is really small.
Also, because they've been around so long and experienced so much, the olds that are still in possession of their faculties can be cunning as he!!.

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008
If Warren is elected there will be energy companies ready to file a lawsuit in a hand picked jurisdiction with a conservative federal judge to have her XO thrown out once it is issued.

Reactions: futures2015

sacatomato horn

Member Who Talks
Sep 15, 2016
The Master Debaters said almost nothing about the economy last night. A CNN poll yesterday showed the top 3 issues for democrats are Health Care, Climate Change, Gun Control\Confiscation

Tuesday on CNN Squawk Box, BET founder Bob Johnson was praising Trump on the economy and more specifically about black employment trends during his administration. Economic policy for the Democrats:
1. Pray the polls showing support for Trump by minorities are wrong.
2. Pray for a recession between now and Nov 2020.

If either of these prayers are unanswered, Trump will be re elected.

Reactions: TexasPalladin

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008
The Master Debaters said almost nothing about the economy last night. A CNN poll yesterday showed the top 3 issues for democrats are Health Care, Climate Change, Gun Control\Confiscation

Tuesday on CNN Squawk Box, BET founder Bob Johnson was praising Trump on the economy and more specifically about black employment trends during his administration. Economic policy for the Democrats:

I've seen approval for Trump among African Americans at over 30%. If he could get 30% of the black vote, he'd coast to reelection. That's not going to happen, but maybe he could increase it from 8% to say 10% and even that marginal increase could make the difference in states like Michigan and Pennsylvania.

As for the recession, it's coming, but I think that Trump with help from the Fed can delay it until after the election.

JG

Oct 29, 2008

Flip that around. Even with a strong economy and no major international issues, polls show Trump going down to almost any of these people.

And that’s with things going well. Pubs better hope it stays great or he’s toast.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Then there's Biden who keeps the gaffes going and is getting beat down by his own party:

He's a foreign policy genious too, remember.

Abortions for everyone at the governments expense Castro beat the crap out of him

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1172368490927247360

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1172346727979839488

and of course the whole teeth thing

Reactions: mcb0703!

sacatomato horn

Member Who Talks
Sep 15, 2016
Flip that around. Even with a strong economy and no major international issues, polls show Trump going down to almost any of these people.

And that’s with things going well. Pubs better hope it stays great or he’s toast.
Polling similar to Monday, Nov 7, 2016

For moderate democrats, which is a more preferable situation next year:
1. The economy\job creation is robust, Trump is re elected.
2. Economy goes into recession, Warren or Biden is elected and must institute fiscal policies that will end it. (This is a 2 horse race now. All the others are pretenders or VP candidates)

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Polling similar to Monday, Nov 7, 2016

For moderate democrats, which is a more preferable situation next year:
1. The economy\job creation is robust, Trump is re elected.
2. Economy goes into recession, Warren or Biden is elected and must institute fiscal policies that will end it. (This is a 2 horse race now. All the others are pretenders or VP candidates)
You are right...polling similar to Nov 2016...an election that Trump won by the skin of his teeth. And we are sitting at that same point with the economy robust and no major international gaffes. Better hope the economy keeps steaming along. It doesn't have to fall into a major recession to take enough away from Trump.

Tend to mostly agree about the Dem race, unless something drastic changes.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
My god we’re going to have four more years of Trump.

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008
You are right...polling similar to Nov 2016...an election that Trump won by the skin of his teeth. And we are sitting at that same point with the economy robust and no major international gaffes. Better hope the economy keeps steaming along. It doesn't have to fall into a major recession to take enough away from Trump.

Tend to mostly agree about the Dem race, unless something drastic changes.
Trump's approval ratings have pretty much solidified in the 42-44% range and they aren't going to change barring a recession in which case they'll fall even further. Normally, that would insure that he's not reelected but the Dem field is so laughably bad that he just might win despite himself.

Reactions: JG and J Galt