May 2, 2015
Last edited:

UTGrad91

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008

houstonhorn

Member Who Talks
Sep 21, 2018
I welcome Hillary to rejoin the circus. Her getting the nomination would all but assure Trump gets another 4 years. Hell, the Dems are so devoid of actual ideas, (not the fantasy free **** or forced confiscation of property and benefits), to help average Americans that Clinton could keep running in perpetuity and be the least insane candidate from that party.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
The long, slow collapse of Beto's presidential campaign continues. He is in danger of missing the November debate. To make that, candidates have to have 3% in at least four national polls, or at least 5% in two early-state polls. They also have to meet donation criteria, but he has that.

It's the polls that he is missing, and the trend isn't positive.

Such a disappointment he turned out to be.

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008
The long, slow collapse of Beto's presidential campaign continues. He is in danger of missing the November debate. To make that, candidates have to have 3% in at least four national polls, or at least 5% in two early-state polls. They also have to meet donation criteria, but he has that.

The bottom line is that Beto is not a skilled politician and like any other profession you can only go so far in politics without skill.

Reactions: PFD

JG

Oct 29, 2008
The bottom line is that Beto is not a skilled politician and like any other profession you can only go so far in politics without skill.
It's a lot more than that, actually.

Donald Trump is the latest (and best) of a long list of politicians that understand that getting elected is a sales job. You package a candidate that appeals to a group of voters that you think will turn out and vote for that candidate. The package is usually massaged and set to appeal to certain groups, and the candidate's stances on issues is tailored to that group.

Trump is a master salesman, and he figured out how to appeal to a group of voters that felt left behind. He identified a target market that was not being addressed well by his competitors in either party. Then he packaged himself to appeal to them, and made the sale. But to get elected, he had to package the pitch to a certain group.

Beto has no idea of how this works, nor of who his competitors are and their strengths and weaknesses.

He has packaged himself as a progressive in the mold of Warren and Sanders. But his natural base of support is in Texas, and Dem voters here are not NEARLY as progressive. So he lost the support of folks like Tex and myself...but he's never been able to make inroads in more progressive areas either. Then he started saying crazier and wilder things, and he just looks desperate.

Had he staked out the moderate center from the start, he could have done so much better.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Ha ha ha......oh Joe. To think there are people out there that want this inept clown and his team running the country.

From ABC News:

The Biden campaign failed to purchase www.todosconbiden.com, or even lock down the @TodosConBiden Twitter handle before announcing the new effort — prompting the president’s reelection team to do what it does best: troll.
Now, the Trump campaign is using www.todosconbiden.com to mock the former vice president, with a landing page that says in both English and Spanish, “Oops, Joe forgot about Latinos.” The page also links out to the president’s own Latino outreach coalition “Latinos for Trump.” And the @TodosConBiden Twitter account, in the possession of the Trump campaign, has already begun posting unflattering counter messaging targeting Biden.
The reelection team told ABC News they bought the URL for a “minimal cost” after the Trump campaign’s coalition team noticed the URL for the new effort was still up for grabs.
“The Biden campaign continues to be inept with a deeply flawed candidate,” Deputy Communications Director Erin Perrine told ABC News. “Latinos are thriving under President Trump and now thanks to the Biden camp, people can find out more about that success at www.todosconbiden.com.”

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013

He's setting himself up to be a congressman in a liberal hub state

40A

Feb 20, 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
It's a lot more than that, actually.

Donald Trump is the latest (and best) of a long list of politicians that understand that getting elected is a sales job. You package a candidate that appeals to a group of voters that you think will turn out and vote for that candidate. The package is usually massaged and set to appeal to certain groups, and the candidate's stances on issues is tailored to that group.

Trump is a master salesman, and he figured out how to appeal to a group of voters that felt left behind. He identified a target market that was not being addressed well by his competitors in either party. Then he packaged himself to appeal to them, and made the sale. But to get elected, he had to package the pitch to a certain group.

Beto has no idea of how this works, nor of who his competitors are and their strengths and weaknesses.

He has packaged himself as a progressive in the mold of Warren and Sanders. But his natural base of support is in Texas, and Dem voters here are not NEARLY as progressive. So he lost the support of folks like Tex and myself...but he's never been able to make inroads in more progressive areas either. Then he started saying crazier and wilder things, and he just looks desperate.

Had he staked out the moderate center from the start, he could have done so much better.
This wouldn't have helped at all, none of his positions are anywhere close to moderate. If you mean he could've lied about being moderate early to poll higher, I suppose you're right. But his true positions would've come out sooner or later, and they did.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
This wouldn't have helped at all, none of his positions are anywhere close to moderate. If you mean he could've lied about being moderate early to poll higher, I suppose you're right. But his true positions would've come out sooner or later, and they did.
Every politician stakes out positions he or she thinks will win over a group of voters. Donald Trump was pro choice when he talked about running as a Dem. Mitt Romney was much more moderate as the MA governor than presidential candidate Romney.

The positions he staked out as a rep and as a Senate candidate in Texas were much more moderate than those he’s espoused as a presidential candidate. He flipped to a much more progressive agenda in an attempt to curry favor with progressive voters.

He just lost everyone else in the process, while not gaining any converts either.

40A

Feb 20, 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
Every politician stakes out positions he or she thinks will win over a group of voters. Donald Trump was pro choice when he talked about running as a Dem. Mitt Romney was much more moderate as the MA governor than presidential candidate Romney.

The positions he staked out as a rep and as a Senate candidate in Texas were much more moderate than those he’s espoused as a presidential candidate. He flipped to a much more progressive agenda in an attempt to curry favor with progressive voters.

He just lost everyone else in the process, while not gaining any converts either.
No. He flipped to a progressive agenda because he's a progressive and that's what he believes.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
No. He flipped to a progressive agenda because he's a progressive and that's what he believes.
If you are talking about Beto, the only thing that has changed with him is he is more vocal about his belief system. He may have even hardened a bit on some of the subjects but his positions while running for Senate are not much different from what he is saying today. The difference is he is saying them out loud for everyone to hear while many of the others aren't willing to do so.

I have said this before but when running for Senate he was pro kill babies up till birth, anti-2A, open borders and the list goes on. I know this because his campaign called me and I asked them questions which they answered. It probably helped to pose as an undecided center left voter but they answered them.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
If you are talking about Beto, the only thing that has changed with him is he is more vocal about his belief system. He may have even hardened a bit on some of the subjects but his positions while running for Senate are not much different from what he is saying today. The difference is he is saying them out loud for everyone to hear while many of the others aren't willing to do so.

I have said this before but when running for Senate he was pro kill babies up till birth, anti-2A, open borders and the list goes on. I know this because his campaign called me and I asked them questions which they answered. It probably helped to pose as an undecided center left voter but they answered them.
lol. Someone pro choice is “pro kill babies” And anyone who supports reasonable firearm regulation is anti-2A.

eodhorn

Mar 24, 2018
Surprise, Arizona
lol. Someone pro choice is “pro kill babies” And anyone who supports reasonable firearm regulation is anti-2A.
There is a large gap between Pro-Choice and abortion up till point of birth. I am Pro-Choice and that idea ****ing disgusts me. Also a huge difference between regulation (of which there is currently thousands of firearms regulations) and gun confiscation through mandatory buy backs. But of course this is in line with the usual useless drivel you post here.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
There is a large gap between Pro-Choice and abortion up till point of birth. I am Pro-Choice and that idea ****ing disgusts me. Also a huge difference between regulation (of which there is currently thousands of firearms regulations) and gun confiscation through mandatory buy backs. But of course this is in line with the usual useless drivel you post here.
eod, you and I have the basically the same position on abortion. So if my position is drivel so is yours.

I am not going to get dragged into yet another argument about guns. Just suffice it to say that Beto went from a reasoned position to one giving Pubs nice sound bites to scare up donations and votes with. And no I don’t share that position either.

eodhorn

Mar 24, 2018
Surprise, Arizona
eod, you and I have the basically the same position on abortion. So if my position is drivel so is yours.

I am not going to get dragged into yet another argument about guns. Just suffice it to say that Beto went from a reasoned position to one giving Pubs nice sound bites to scare up donations and votes with. And no I don’t share that position either.
Then why when folks specifically point out Beto’s position on abortion and guns you say someone who is Pro-Choice is “Pro kill babies” and someone who supports reasonable gun laws is anti-2A? People were specifically pointing to Beto’s stance. The drivel is you jumping from moderate views on both subjects to saying folks criticizing Beto’s non-moderate standings as somehow wrong.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Then why when folks specifically point out Beto’s position on abortion and guns you say someone who is Pro-Choice is “Pro kill babies” and someone who supports reasonable gun laws is anti-2A? People were specifically pointing to Beto’s stance. The drivel is you jumping from moderate views on both subjects to saying folks criticizing Beto’s non-moderate standings as somehow wrong.
Beto is screaming "Hell yeah we are going to take their guns" and some dip**** is trying to argue he's moderate instead of anti-2A? The only difference between him and a Bernie or Kamala, or Corey is he will say it out loud. Anyone suggesting gun confiscation or an australia type buy back (confiscation) is not anti-2A should sit down and be quiet. They don't understand what's being said. I'd toss in "common sense" gun laws too. We know what that really means.

Of course, the more Beto says it, the more some will try to defend it, which ultimately leads to a change in their beliefs which in turn changes the narrative. I mean, you literally have someone defending Beto's position already and it's one no one should defend.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
First, I used the “pro-kill-babies” comment as a way of poking fun at him. He has the same comment about a stance like yours also by the way.

To him, ANY view that is contrary to his own must be extreme. And he uses terms to describe them as such.

In any case it doesn’t matter...you guys wouldn’t vote for a moderate Dem any more than you would Bernie or Warren. It just matters to people like me and Tex and cc, who are irritated by Beto’s flip since the senate race.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Beto is screaming "Hell yeah we are going to take their guns" and some dip**** is trying to argue he's moderate instead of anti-2A? The only difference between him and a Bernie or Kamala, or Corey is he will say it out loud. Anyone suggesting gun confiscation or an australia type buy back (confiscation) is not anti-2A should sit down and be quiet. They don't understand what's being said. I'd toss in "common sense" gun laws too. We know what that really means.

Of course, the more Beto says it, the more some will try to defend it, which ultimately leads to a change in their beliefs which in turn changes the narrative. I mean, you literally have someone defending Beto's position already and it's one no one should defend.
Im not saying he’s moderate. I’m laughing at YOU for trying to label his views.

Gun nuts like you don’t have any understanding of “reasonable regulation”. That’s ok. We just have to win enough to elections to get this country back on track. The Founders did not write and pass the 2A so mentally ill wack jobs could carry semi automatic weapons into public spaces and kill dozens of people.

Reasonable regulation doesn’t confiscation of legitimate hunting, home defense, or sporting weapons.

Beto trolled people like you into freaking out.