A&M's 2016 Class

HelmetBoy

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 31, 2009
Let's discuss a little Aggie recruiting. @Eric Nahlin @Justin Wells @Ghost, what are your thoughts on the 2016 class? Who are A&M's remaining targets aside from the obvious ones?

It seems to me that not a whole lot has changed in outlook for the 2016 class despite the 6-0 start (see J Phillips commitment to OU despite A&M getting last visit and a number of Nashville buddies on the A&M roster). They have not seemed to garner renewed interest from any of the instate war daddies who had previously written them off. Perhaps this class has learned something from the last two seasons - Aggie crushes a light schedule first half of the season and folds against the meat of the SEC West second half like clockwork. Let's see if this year is any different.

My personal opinion is that Sumlin hedged his bets on the bottom falling out this season and took a large number of mid-tier/reaches early and now numbers are regretfully tight. There are a couple gems in their though.

Thoughts?

Jigglebilly

Jan 20, 2012
Apparently Chavis was feeling bold enough earlier this week to guarantee publicly that A&M would definitely win a natty at some point in the near future. Have you seen your current recruiting class there Chief? Not seeing any more Miles or Vons walking through the door any time soon.

stringsays

Aug 23, 2016
In the past we've gone hard after the blue chips and ignored the second tier players only to miss out on the blue chips...and then the second tier kids get pissed that we didn't keep in contact with them

So I think this year they flipped that and got those guys that we would have circled back on and we're holding spots for some of those elite players

That being said I can see us encouraging guys to look around depending on how the season finishes out.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Let's discuss a little Aggie recruiting. @Eric Nahlin @Justin Wells @Ghost, what are your thoughts on the 2016 class? Who are A&M's remaining targets aside from the obvious ones?

It seems to me that not a whole lot has changed in outlook for the 2016 class despite the 6-0 start (see J Phillips commitment to OU despite A&M getting last visit and a number of Nashville buddies on the A&M roster). They have not seemed to garner renewed interest from any of the instate war daddies who had previously written them off. Perhaps this class has learned something from the last two seasons - Aggie crushes a light schedule first half of the season and folds against the meat of the SEC West second half like clockwork. Let's see if this year is any different.

My personal opinion is that Sumlin hedged his bets on the bottom falling out this season and took a large number of mid-tier/reaches early and now numbers are regretfully tight. There are a couple gems in their though.

Thoughts?
Well, we've seen him hedge his recruiting bets against the possibility of a disappointing season before. He either lacks confidence in his team, or his ability to overcome an average season on the trail, or both.

That said, this season is different in that A&M hasn't crushed a light schedule to start; they've played well and beaten teams of varying quality -- Arkansas and Tennessee -- were great wins for them. I don't expect them to get trucked versus Alabama this weekend, and that might be good enough to catch the eye of some recruits who are approaching them with caution. "Okay, they're for real."

The schedule lightens somewhat after Alabama, so no matter what happens Saturday they need to stay focused/re-focus and continue down the path. Ole Miss is beatable, and so is the Aggie boogieman of LSU. I expect 1o wins before a bowl game.

At that point, Sumlin's going to curse his decision to take so many questionable players. Their current class is rated 9th nationally, but they already have 22 commits and only a .8702 average. That's pretty bad, actually.

Sounds like they have room for 4-6 more and if they win 10 games they'll wish they had room for 10 more.

Players A&M are pursuing they have a good shot with: LB Anthony Hines, WR's Jamon Ausbon, CeeDee Lamb, and Omar Manning, DT's Josh Rogers and Cory Bethley, and then guys like Kendall Sheffield and JK Dobbins. They'll also find a Juco DE to try and mitigate the loss of Garrett and Hall.

You'll notice there are a lot of elite names missing from who is likely in their class.

Another problem with this class is much of the talent is very raw and they're about to lose a lot of proven players. Of course, I'm not sure how well developed the younger guys are that we haven't seen much of. Chavis certainly knows what he's doing, but he's losing some irreplaceable parts in short order.

There are definitely some quality players in the class and not just the highly rated players, but there are far too many reaches, imo.

btown1110

Jan 23, 2012
It's interesting because it seems like it'll be a top 10 class, close to 8, by volume alone.

But next year, when Sumlin has the benefit of recruiting off a good season this year (if it finishes well), there will so many holes to fill on offense and defense, and a brutal schedule, that winning 8 may be a Herculean task.

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008
Apparently Chavis was feeling bold enough earlier this week to guarantee publicly that A&M would definitely win a natty at some point in the near future. Have you seen your current recruiting class there Chief? Not seeing any more Miles or Vons walking through the door any time soon.
Almost 80 years since they won the natty so I'm not holding my breath. Baby Steps, first let's see them win the SEC West, then the SEC, and then we can talk natty.

Derrick.Murray

Member Who Talks
Feb 18, 2009
Wilson has been visiting more lately...what's the deal there? New money smell hence the intrgue or is it simply bc they're up the street and why not check em out type appeal? There was once a time he would barely take their calls though..

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
Wilson has been visiting more lately...what's the deal there? New money smell hence the intrgue or is it simply bc they're up the street and why not check em out type appeal? There was once a time he would barely take their calls though..
He likes Texas.