Another ICON to be ruined by a cap mgt firm.

The_Major

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Apr 2, 2012
Austin, Texas
As long as they don’t change the burgers it doesn’t bother me. I’m glad the family gets to cash out . Restaurant business is so difficult .
They will though. First they will expand like crazy. Then they will start looking for way to increase profit. Labor and food costs will be the first to take the hit.

Wendy's was great once. Now their burgers resemble shoe leather. All changed when they were bought buy a firm like this.

TexanBlood

Jan 22, 2010
Wish it was dos bobby's porch
They will though. First they will expand like crazy. Then they will start looking for way to increase profit. Labor and food costs will be the first to take the hit.

Wendy's was great once. Now their burgers resemble shoe leather. All changed when they were bought buy a firm like this.
Tell me me about it. I don't like what they did with their bread and fries either. 10 years ago Wendy's used to be my favorite place for fast food burger.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Interesting times.

Not sure what it looks like for us.
I would guess in the short run not much would change since you have contracts. As a licensee you guys are probably in better shape that any direct people.

Reactions: Flog

The_Major

Apr 2, 2012
Austin, Texas
I would guess in the short run not much would change since you have contracts. As a licensee you guys are probably in better shape that any direct people.
It will be 5 years or so of expansion before they start trimming the fat.

jhablinski

Mar 20, 2009
We are fine but it will be interesting to see if franchisees are part of Whataburger’s future.

It doesn’t necessarily seem that way from our end.

ttaghorn

Oct 29, 2008
Its the end of an era for Corpus Christi, as the Whataburger Corporate Office will now close shop and move to Chi town.

The_Major

Apr 2, 2012
Austin, Texas
We are fine but it will be interesting to see if franchisees are part of Whataburger’s future.

It doesn’t necessarily seem that way from our end.
Does Whataburger Corp own the property and lease to the Franchisee like McDonalds? Or do you own the deed on the land as well?

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008

How dare they try to get a return on their investment! People should make hamburgers exactly to your liking ad infinitum.

jhablinski

Mar 20, 2009
Thanks for the update. For a very long time it was located in. where they started, Corpus.
That’s right and then after the last hurricane they had to move.

They were too big for the office to be shut down for weeks and weeks.

The history of BDT says they will leave the company alone and inject cash for growth but who knows what the future will bring.

As a franchisee I’m nervous and a little skeptical but I hope for the best.

• Angry
Reactions: Sneezybeltran

J Galt

Feb 9, 2012
Lake Highlands, Dallas
We had a debate about this on a text thread with some of my college buddies. The linchpin argument of the Whataburger apologists was the made-to-order nature of their product. To which some posited, "just ask for a stock burger from one of the other places but make a customized tweak (no ketchup, add mayo) so that it forces them to custom make your burger." To which the Whataburger apologists eventually landed on the fact that the Whataburger veggies are fresher and more consistent than any other burger chain. No one disagreed with that claim. Also, there was virtual unanimity that taquitos are awesome.

Reactions: Halas and bHero

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008
I'm betting the new owners try to expand Whataburger out of state. Don't think it will work. Different places have different tasters. I love Carl's Jr, but for whatever reason they didn't work out here in Texas.

stevehorn

Oct 29, 2008
That did strike me as odd, the mustard thing, but at least they asked me first.
As a native Texan, I find it odd to put mayo or catsup on a burger or hot dog. This is why there are so few nationwide fast food chains or even to expand beyond a small region.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
As a native Texan, I find it odd to put mayo or catsup on a burger or hot dog. This is why there are so few nationwide fast food chains or even to expand beyond a small region.
I've lived in Texas all my life, and that's all I put on my Whataburger except cheese.

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008
I've lived in Texas all my life, and that's all I put on my Whataburger except cheese.
I always substitute mayo for mustard.

BTW: One of the best things to order at Whataburger is the #23 Pancakes Platter meal. Three large freshly made pancakes plus Hash Browns sausage or bacon and a drink for just over $5. Pancakes are really good, almost to IHOP level IMO.

Reactions: Ktown777 and JG

stevehorn

Oct 29, 2008
I always substitute mayo for mustard.

BTW: One of the best things to order at Whataburger is the #23 Pancakes Platter meal. Three large freshly made pancakes plus Hash Browns sausage or bacon and a drink for just over $5. Pancakes are really good, almost to IHOP level IMO.
As I wrote in this or another thread, my favorite at Whataburger is their breakfast offerings. Pancake platter is an excellent choice. Wish they would go all day on breakfast.

I wonder if the mustard vs. mayo/catsup is a generational thing because of the influence of McDonalds as kids for the younger generations. The closest thing to a chain in my youth was Dairy Queen and those hamburgers definitely had mustard.

Last edited:

SmackBrown

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas, TX
So find a new place that fits your market demand.
You're not from Texas, so I don't expect you to completely understand. The taste of a Whataburger burger is legendary in Texas. We don't want it f*cked with.

As for how I order mine, I take it as is, and dump a pack of ketchup on it. The mustard ketchup combo rules.

cctxfan

Oct 29, 2008
Austin, TX
You're not from Texas, so I don't expect you to completely understand. The taste of a Whataburger burger is legendary in Texas. We don't want it f*cked with.

As for how I order mine, I take it as is, and dump a pack of ketchup on it. The mustard ketchup combo rules.
I substitute mayo for mustard and add ketchup. And no tomatoes. Freaking awesome. Occasionally I go with the original mustard burger which is quite tasty as well.