Another ICON to be ruined by a cap mgt firm.

The_Major

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Apr 2, 2012
Austin, Texas
Ketchup isn’t even allowed in my house. I once found some Whataburger ketchup my wife had hidden and we had a long talk. We compromised on cocktail sauce when she eats shrimp.

Mayo is for potato salad and a sandwich if you don’t have vegetables to combat the dryness.

Ranch is tolerable with wings and that’s it but wings shouldn’t need anything. Ditto pizza, wtf.

Horseradish is the condiment of kings.
Blue Chz for wings.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
This is the best politics thread since I joined this site, it's not really close. I am not a mayo fan, typically like ketchup mustard combo, probably due to my midwest genes. Started doing more just mustard burgers here and there.

jamesrh

Oct 29, 2008
In Seattle there is a small chain called Dick's that puts housemade tartar sauce on the burgers. Surprisingly good. This coming from someone who normally orders burgers with no sauce and then adds mustard when not at Whataburger or DQ.

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
This is the best politics thread since I joined this site, it's not really close. I am not a mayo fan, typically like ketchup mustard combo, probably due to my midwest genes. Started doing more just mustard burgers here and there.
Sorry but ketchup and mayo are the food of the Gods.

Reactions: SmackBrown

kennoisewater

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2018
As I wrote in this or another thread, my favorite at Whataburger is their breakfast offerings. Pancake platter is an excellent choice. Wish they would go all day on breakfast.

I wonder if the mustard vs. mayo/catsup is a generational thing because of the influence of McDonalds as kids for the younger generations. The closest thing to a chain in my youth was Dairy Queen and those hamburgers definitely had mustard.
What the hell is catsup?

kennoisewater

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2018
Interesting times.

Not sure what it looks like for us.
@jhablinski - I’ve noticed that my local Austin-area Whataburgers don’t melt the cheese on the burgers anymore unless I specifically ask for it. It may sound petty, but to me it’s damn near unAmerican to serve a cheeseburger with cold cheese on it. As a franchisee, please tell me that unmelted cheese at your restaurants is a fireable offense.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
In Seattle there is a small chain called Dick's that puts housemade tartar sauce on the burgers. Surprisingly good. This coming from someone who normally orders burgers with no sauce and then adds mustard when not at Whataburger or DQ.
My dad lived off 36th, so real close to the one on 45th. Solid stuff, like an old burger joint.

sacatomato horn

Member Who Talks
Sep 15, 2016
A friend of mine just told me that In-N-Out Burgers are in Texas, been there a while. Looks like their are 4 stores in the Dallas. Who the hell left the gate open?

kennoisewater

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2018
Ketchup. They are different spellings of the same thing. Supposedly catsup was the original spelling and Heinz changed it to ketchup on their bottles as a marketing strategy. My slip-up is likely a sign of my age as that's how I learned to spell it as a kid.
LOL. Just messing with you. My wife actually pronounces it “catch-up” and it drives me nuts. But she also says “arnge” for orange and “an-Tanna” for antenna so I think it’s her problem.

kennoisewater

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2018
A friend of mine just told me that In-N-Out Burgers are in Texas, been there a while. Looks like their are 4 stores in the Dallas. Who the hell left the gate open?
I’ve never been more disappointed in a burger chain than In & Out. I only go there when the line is too long at Whataburger.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
They’re in Dallas and Austin.

Years ago I figured they’d do battle in Phoenix with In N Out coming from the west and W from Texas.

Back when I drove I-10 a lot I’d make sure and get W in Las Cruces, my last option.

I grew up in CA where In N Out was king (only in SoCal at the time) and had a shirt which had the appeal and popularity of a Hard Rock shirt (weird people we are) at one point but it isn’t as good. I feel I’m the definitive voice.

W was our first meal in Texas so there is some sentimentality.

I like them both but prefer Whataburger.

sacatomato horn

Member Who Talks
Sep 15, 2016
They’re in Dallas and Austin.

Years ago I figured they’d do battle in Phoenix with In N Out coming from the west and W from Texas.

Back when I drove I-10 a lot I’d make sure and get W in Las Cruces, my last option.

I grew up in CA where In N Out was king (only in SoCal at the time) and had a shirt which had the appeal and popularity of a Hard Rock shirt (weird people we are) at one point but it isn’t as good. I feel I’m the definitive voice.

W was our first meal in Texas so there is some sentimentality.

I like them both but prefer Whataburger.
I've been here in Nor Cal 20 years. Their burgers are good but only Animal Style: mustard basted\infused patty, but no spread (thousand island dressing is a burger abomination)
My son lives in Tucson. I get my Whataburger fix when I visit him. He was born in Texas but grew up in Nor Cal. He says it's a tie. Kids.....

cctxfan

Oct 29, 2008
Austin, TX
I’ve never been more disappointed in a burger chain than In & Out. I only go there when the line is too long at Whataburger.
Me, too. They're just not all that great. When I went to my first one in Santa Barbara, I was like, what's so special about this joint? Meh. Whataburger rules.

Reactions: TexasPalladin

cctxfan

Oct 29, 2008
Austin, TX
That's just wrong in so many ways.
Exactly. That sounds nasty. I don't even like tartar sauce on fried seafood. Well, at least if it's not the stuff that King's Inn makes. That greatness isn't like traditional tartar sauce at all, it's more like baked artichoke dip without the artichokes. It's freakishly delicious.

Reactions: SmackBrown

JG

Oct 29, 2008
They’ve been here more than a decade.

And that is probably the most overrated eating establishment of all time. It’s just average burgers, bland fries, and nothing else. Big damn deal.

Whataburger>>>>>>>>>In-n-out

jhablinski

Mar 20, 2009
@jhablinski - I’ve noticed that my local Austin-area Whataburgers don’t melt the cheese on the burgers anymore unless I specifically ask for it. It may sound petty, but to me it’s damn near unAmerican to serve a cheeseburger with cold cheese on it. As a franchisee, please tell me that unmelted cheese at your restaurants is a fireable offense.
Yes the cheese is melted

I’m not going to get into the weeds if our procedures but your cheese should be melted every time.

Reactions: kennoisewater

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
As a native Texan, I find it odd to put mayo or catsup on a burger or hot dog. This is why there are so few nationwide fast food chains or even to expand beyond a small region.
Some of these taste preferences seem to be regional. Mayo should never be put on a hamburger or hotdog, imo.

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
I'm betting the new owners try to expand Whataburger out of state. Don't think it will work. Different places have different tasters. I love Carl's Jr, but for whatever reason they didn't work out here in Texas.
I think you’re right. I don’t see the standard Whataburger mustard style becoming very popular in CA.

jamesrh

Oct 29, 2008
My dad lived off 36th, so real close to the one on 45th. Solid stuff, like an old burger joint.
Would go to that one pretty regularly after church. We lived in Northgate so went to that one mostly. I also go at least once whenever I am back there. I also like the hot fudge sundaes cause they use real hot fudge not chocolate sauce.

RIVALWEAR

Jan 12, 2012
There is very little that I will eat with mayo other than it mixed in something like tuna salad. I can tolerate it on a ham sandwich as long as there isn't much. Can tolerate ketchup even less. That's for french fries.
Real mayo sucks. It's all about that tangy zip of Miracle Whip.