Another ICON to be ruined by a cap mgt firm.

RIVALWEAR

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Jan 12, 2012
Ketchup isn’t even allowed in my house. I once found some Whataburger ketchup my wife had hidden and we had a long talk. We compromised on cocktail sauce when she eats shrimp.

Mayo is for potato salad and a sandwich if you don’t have vegetables to combat the dryness.

Ranch is tolerable with wings and that’s it but wings shouldn’t need anything. Ditto pizza, wtf.

Horseradish is the condiment of kings.
Just wait til your kid is a little bit older -- ketchup goes on everything.

Pre-kids -- we had the same bottle of ketchup for probably 5 years. Now with two kids, we go through at least a bottle every 2 or 3 months.

stevehorn

Oct 29, 2008
Some of these taste preferences seem to be regional. Mayo should never be put on a hamburger or hotdog, imo.
A significant amount of taste preferences are regional. That has been changing some in the last few decades as more of what we eat is from national fast food eateries or restaurants and pre-packaged (canned, frozen, boxed, etc.), plus a lot more moving around the country.

You and I are really from the last generation that grew up with most families eating the majority of their meals prepared at home with less of the food pre-packaged. Also many of our families had been in the same state/region for generations. We also ate what our parents liked who ate what their parents liked, and on and on. So tastes got passed from generations to generations and solidly established in the region. Restaurants/diners were local, not chains, and they served the preference of the area. Kinda like mustard on hamburgers. If we ate hamburgers at home, mustard was on the table and mayo and ketchup was in the refrigerator. Ordered a hamburger out, didn't need to specify the sauce. It came with mustard.

Regional tastes are heavily influenced by the nation being primarily rural up to WWII. People primarily ate foods that were cheap and plentiful in their region. Texas raised cattle so our BBQ preference is beef. In a lot of the South, pigs were the primary farm animal so their BBQ is pork. California was big "truck" farming so tastes are heavily influenced by the fruits and vegetables that were the primary farm crops. Midwest grows a lot of corn so cattle in that region is grain fed. Texas cattle were either grain or grass fed. More seafood was consumed near the coasts and the type varied based on what was caught around that area. Also a number of areas were heavily influenced by the "old country" of the people in that region where many were recent immigrants.

Last edited:

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Reading this thread there is no doubt some of you put A1 or Ketchup on your steak. If it's good, it need nothing to dress it up.

Reactions: SmackBrown

SmackBrown

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas, TX
Reading this thread there is no doubt some of you put A1 or Ketchup on your steak. If it's good, it need nothing to dress it up.
Yep. Good way to f*ck up a good cut of meat. I cook mine medium-rare, and put some garlic salt on it. Good to go!

Now if you go buy some mystery meat steaks at Walmart, then you get what you deserve.

Reactions: JG