Any watch collectors on IT?

MikeHdez12

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
They make very good watches. Which one? Their Miyota automatic movements are used in the majority of boutique and Kickstarter/Go Fund Me watchmakers.
Right now I'm kind of going by what I think looks nice/offer a slightly different look on the wrist than my Bulova/are of good quality and I think Citizen watches fit that bill. I'm not too sure how deep a dive I'm gonna make into which models are held in higher regard in the fashion sense because I'm not completely in that price range. I see some of those Miyota watches are impressive.

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Right now I'm kind of going by what I think looks nice/offer a slightly different look on the wrist than my Bulova/are of good quality and I think Citizen watches fit that bill. I'm not too sure how deep a dive I'm gonna make into which models are held in higher regard in the fashion sense because I'm not completely in that price range. I see some of those Miyota watches are impressive.
Do you have any automatic watches?

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Get introduced inexpensively with Orient. They're owned by Seiko Epson (Seiko's parent company) and their watches are nice. Bambino is a popular dress watch and the Mako or Ray are popular Dive-style watches.
https://www.longislandwatch.com/Orient_Watches_s/1834.htm#/?profile_id=43bb67bdbb37b186a0aa7ab189ef211c&session_id=9fc7c106-6e6d-11e9-b463-0242ac110002&authorized_profile_id=&Category0=Orient&search_return=all&Movementtype=Automatic+(self+winding)
Thanks. Wow, think I actually might go with one of these.

shiv80

Member Who Talks
Sep 7, 2016
I've wanted this Senator Sixties for a while. Very good watches, part of the Swatch Group.
That’s one of the ones I like. There’s an orange face that really draws my eye from the Sixties line. I was in a Tourbillion boutique in SF a couple of weeks ago and really loved the Panomatic Lunar (rose gold and black face), but damn, the price.

Reactions: SAhornfan

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
That’s one of the ones I like. There’s an orange face that really draws my eye from the Sixties line. I was in a Tourbillion boutique in SF a couple of weeks ago and really loved the Panomatic Lunar (rose gold and black face), but damn, the price.
They are not cheap, even on the used market.

Air Force Horn

Member Who Talks
Jan 6, 2012
Abilene area...in by golly West Texas!
You do You, @MikeHdez12 . Don't let @SAhornfan get you down! I'm not an Invicta guy, but I do love me some Star Wars.

I say I don't have any Invictas, but I do have a couple of post-Invicta Glycine Combat Subs. I love them. The movements are smoother than they have a right to be at the $300-ish price point, and the size is just about perfect for me.

Now, I will have to agree that most quartz shouldn't run you all that much...but at least they will reliably maintain a time hack!

Reactions: TexasPalladin

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
You do You, @MikeHdez12 . Don't let @SAhornfan get you down! I'm not an Invicta guy, but I do love me some Star Wars.

I say I don't have any Invictas, but I do have a couple of post-Invicta Glycine Combat Subs. I love them. The movements are smoother than they have a right to be at the $300-ish price point, and the size is just about perfect for me.

Now, I will have to agree that most quartz shouldn't run you all that much...but at least they will reliably maintain a time hack!
It's time for him to step into adulthood.

Air Force Horn

Member Who Talks
Jan 6, 2012
Some are very large.
Given your preferred style, I can guess your response to the following, but...

Am I the only one that dislikes/hates any extra physical hardware on a dive watch crown? Ball has a few with giant crown guards supplemented by a hinged flap that covers the crown. That's bad enough, but some of the Grahams (and Invictas for that matter - at two completely different price points) have these ridiculously oversized locking mechanisms. My favorite is the screw down crown cover with a chain! I'm guessing they're throw backs to something like what some Panerais still have. In that case, I can appreciate the historical need to secure the crown to create a better dive watch, but that's about it. I can't imagine these superfluous vestiges are remotely necessary in a modern watch. Assuming I'm correct, it comes down to taste...and I personally don't share that taste at all.

I know, random musings for a Monday. Am I the only one?

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I came across this Orient that's at a price I like and I'm honestly pretty interested. However, the description reads "This model hacks and hand-winds." I get the hand-wind bit, but hacks? Does this watch have an upper respiratory infection?

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I came across this Orient that's at a price I like and I'm honestly pretty interested. However, the description reads "This model hacks and hand-winds." I get the hand-wind bit, but hacks? Does this watch have an upper respiratory infection?

The seconds hand and movement stops when you pull out the crown. https://www.orientwatchusa.com/blogs/orient-blog/watch-hacking-anyway

The hand-winding thing on an automatic is for convenience so you don't have to shake it (gently) to get it started. Many Seiko (and Orient) automatics, until recently, didn't have this function so you had to move it back and forth to move the rotor inside to get it started. A lot of of unnecessary effort when you could just wind the crown 20 times and you're good to go, unless you didn't wear the watch for a few days.

Where are you looking to buy, Island Watch?

Last edited:

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
The seconds hand and movement stops when you pull out the crown. https://www.orientwatchusa.com/blogs/orient-blog/watch-hacking-anyway

The hand-winding thing on an automatic is for convenience so you don't have to shake it (gently) to get it started. Many Seiko (and Orient) automatics, until recently, didn't have this function so you had to move it back and forth to move the rotor inside to get it started. A lot of of unnecessary effort when you could just wind the crown 20 times and you're good to go, unless you didn't wear the watch for a few days.

Where are you looking to buy, Island Watch?
I'll look around, but probably Amazon or eBay.

Air Force Horn

Member Who Talks
Jan 6, 2012

If you are OCD like me, the hacking function is a must-have. I only own one that doesn't, and it's a wonder I still do. (Bad on me for making an assumption when I bought it from a WUS member.)

Reactions: Sneezybeltran

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
If you are OCD like me, the hacking function is a must-have. I only own one that doesn't, and it's a wonder I still do. (Bad on me for making an assumption when I bought it from a WUS member.)
So is this something that one doesn't usually see on automatic watches? Because on all the quartz watches I've ever had, everything stops once you pull out the crown. I had always just assumed that's how watches are.

Reactions: shiv80

Air Force Horn

Member Who Talks
Jan 6, 2012
I have lots of automatics, and only one of them doesn't hack. Some of the less expensive or older Seiko movements don't hack, which is why you have to watch out on Orients. Even the Seiko SKX series, which is very popular among collectors, doesn't hack. Those don't even hand wind, hence the need to do the "Seiko shake" to start it up if you haven't worn it for a while.

If none of this bothers you, enjoy the freedom. If it does, just Google the model number of the movement to get the particulars. Personally, the general inaccuracy of automatics drives me crazy (as a navigator), but I mitigate that with a time hack the night prior or morning of. I can't just pull an auto out of the box without it bothering me.

Sneezybeltran

Dec 4, 2013
Well, after some research and looking into the pros and cons of an automatic watch, I may be opening up my search again. #RespectMyDecision
When you become a big boy, it’s time for an automatic. I have a quartz or 2, but automatics are....well, automatics.