Any watch collectors on IT?

MikeHdez12

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
This warrants discussion.
Ok. I don't get to wear my watch a lot since I'm usually in PPE in my lab and I don't go out a whole lot during the week. So I'm gonna have to constantly be setting this thing and wind it a bunch or else get an auto winder which strikes me as a superfluous idea. And besides that, I've read they're inaccurate by about a half minute a day, which makes it sound like I'll be setting it constantly no matter how often I wear it. (I enjoy some accuracy in my timepieces, you see.) I'm gonna have to take it in to get serviced every so often. Guess that's not that much different from getting a battery changed every so often, but is it costly? I honestly don't know.

However, I like the way the second hand moves. I also genuinely like how they, specifically the Orient in question, looks. And apparently I'm being gatekept from maturity by not possessing one.

I'm not closing it off or anything. I may just Mookie Cooper back into it yet. I need a rebuttal.

Reactions: TexasPalladin

Air Force Horn

Member Who Talks
Jan 6, 2012
Abilene area...in by golly West Texas!
Ok. I don't get to wear my watch a lot since I'm usually in PPE in my lab and I don't go out a whole lot during the week. So I'm gonna have to constantly be setting this thing and wind it a bunch or else get an auto winder which strikes me as a superfluous idea. And besides that, I've read they're inaccurate by about a half minute a day, which makes it sound like I'll be setting it constantly no matter how often I wear it. (I enjoy some accuracy in my timepieces, you see.) I'm gonna have to take it in to get serviced every so often. Guess that's not that much different from getting a battery changed every so often, but is it costly? I honestly don't know.

However, I like the way the second hand moves. I also genuinely like how they, specifically the Orient in question, looks. And apparently I'm being gatekept from maturity by not possessing one.

I'm not closing it off or anything. I may just Mookie Cooper back into it yet. I need a rebuttal.
So, if I may ask, what do you do for a living? My work watch is a high-accuracy quartz because the job demanded it. Now that I am retired, the job doesn't demand it as much, but the mindset does. I can't get away from it. (My wife loves that...)

However, I really appreciate the science AND the art of timekeeping now. It's fun having a little latitude appreciating both quartz and automatics. I bounce back and forth routinely. It's just that I use quartz watches to keep my automatics honest!

...So what I'm saying is simple. Don't be cheap. Buy one of each!

Last edited:

Air Force Horn

Member Who Talks
Jan 6, 2012
By the way, we are in Dublin right now. We just saw Mark Knopfler in concert. It was an AMAZING show, and our excuse for vacationing.

I brought 4 GMTs along. The radio controlled Citizen is probably the best, most functional and accurate, of the bunch. BUT, I have just come to the conclusion that my Breitling B-1 is simply the best flying/traveling watch I own. The multiple time zones, chronograph, and easy integrated digital/analog changes are far smoother than anything else I have.

I don't take it with me internationally because of the B-1B on the commemorative Breitling B-1 (funny, I know). As much as it's impossible to hide, I try not to highlight my military affiliation overseas. It almost makes me want to find a generic Breitling B-1, but who's got the money to do that?

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
So, if I may ask, what do you do for a living? My work watch is a high-accuracy quartz because the job demanded it. Now that I am retired, the job doesn't demand it as much, but the mindset does. I can't get away from it. (My wife loves that...)

However, I really appreciate the science AND the art of timekeeping now. It's fun having a little latitude appreciating both quartz and automatics. I bounce back and forth routinely. It's just that I use quartz watches to keep my automatics honest!

...So what I'm saying is simple. Don't be cheap. Buy one of each!
That's classified, sir.

Ok, it's not, but I do have to don gloves to handle chemicals so I'm constantly taking them on and off and a watch impedes that. I've tried and it's counter productive. I like wearing watches but I'd like to just put them on when I go out without worrying about whether they're moving and setting them if they're not.

But I do have my quartz Bulova and a Nike sports watch and a bunch of other ok quartz watches that just need a battery. On account of that, I'm sure I'll end up getting the Orient since I do have the quartz ones to keep them honest, as you say.

Sneezybeltran

Dec 4, 2013
That's classified, sir.

Ok, it's not, but I do have to don gloves to handle chemicals so I'm constantly taking them on and off and a watch impedes that. I've tried and it's counter productive. I like wearing watches but I'd like to just put them on when I go out without worrying about whether they're moving and setting them if they're not.

But I do have my quartz Bulova and a Nike sports watch and a bunch of other ok quartz watches that just need a battery. On account of that, I'm sure I'll end up getting the Orient since I do have the quartz ones to keep them honest, as you say.
Dude, that Orient is solid! Don't be scared Mikey!

Reactions: TexasPalladin

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Or, if you're worried about accuracy, save up for a chronometer certified automatic. I will admit that the less expensive Seikos and Orients tend to have far different specs than their more expensive movements. For example, you could by a vintage automatic Grand Seiko that will run about $800 and is accurate within seconds a day, after a good service.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Nice Bambino.
Do you have a guy in town for new batteries and repairs and stuff? I had been taking mine to Ingram Park Mall. There were two different kiosks who said I would then have free new batteries for life but of course they're both gone by the time I need a new battery.

Air Force Horn

Member Who Talks
Jan 6, 2012
I’m thinking hard about this little inexpensive number to wear every day.

49.5 mm seems big, though. I don’t want something I can land a helicopter on.

@SAhornfan this is the legit website, correct?

View attachment 42908
I think that size is made more manageable given the tuna/puck design that minimizes the lugs. Therefore, the lug to lug spacing isn't bad at all. This would let you get away with a bigger watch if that's what you're after. What's your wrist size?

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I think that size is made more manageable given the tuna/puck design that minimizes the lugs. Therefore, the lug to lug spacing isn't bad at all. This would let you get away with a bigger watch if that's what you're after. What's your wrist size?
It’s still like wearing a hockey puck.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
What is Reef Tiger? Good looking watch.

Never heard of it. Pros-uses a Seiko movement. Cons-read some of the reviews. If you're going to spend that kind of money, get a Seiko or Citizen.

Air Force Horn

Member Who Talks
Jan 6, 2012
On another note, I picked up this beauty last week. Y'all know my watch tastes enough now to know that I don't make the following statement lightly...I have been stunned by the precision of this watch so far... It has a Miyota 9015, which I have in a few other watches, but this thing is no more than a second off after five days. Somebody must have tuned it with a great deal of pride (at Gavox, I presume).

I'm the second owner, and I replaced the rubber strap (which is actually very nice) with a Watch Gecko sail cloth strap to better suit my skin. This watch has quickly become one of my favorites.

20190625_090733 resize.jpg

Air Force Horn

Member Who Talks
Jan 6, 2012
And then there's this one that I am wearing today. I've had it for a couple of months, but haven't worn it much - not to be taken as a sign of dislike.

It's a modified Stargate II. The guy I bought it from bead blasted the case, drilled the lugs, added different hands, got rid of the cyclops (yeah!), changed the bezel insert from the standard Stargate (thank goodness), and added a Kanji date wheel (love!).

I don't consider myself a modder per se, I think this might be my only mod, but I liked what he did with this one enough to pick it up at a good price. And I just love Seiko orange!

20190628_085017 resize.jpg

Last edited:

Sneezybeltran

Dec 4, 2013
On another note, I picked up this beauty last week. Y'all know my watch tastes enough now to know that I don't make the following statement lightly...I have been stunned by the precision of this watch so far... It has a Miyota 9015, which I have in a few other watches, but this thing is no more than a second off after five days. Somebody must have tuned it with a great deal of pride (at Gavox, I presume).

I'm the second owner, and I replaced the rubber strap (which is actually very nice) with a Watch Gecko sail cloth strap to better suit my skin. This watch has quickly become one of my favorites.

View attachment 42942
Never heard of that one. Gavo? What's the price range?

Sneezybeltran

Dec 4, 2013
And then there's this one that I am wearing today. I've had it for a couple of months, but haven't worn it much - not to be taken as a sign of dislike.

It's a modified Stargate II. The guy I bought it from bead blasted the case, drilled the lugs, added different hands, got rid of the cyclops (yeah!), changed the bezel insert from the standard Stargate (thank goodness), and added a Kanji date wheel (love!).

I don't consider myself a modder per se, I think this might be my only mod, but I like what he did with this one enough to pick it up at a good price. And I just love Seiko orange!

View attachment 42947
Some days I like Seiko Orange and other days I question it. It's weird, but I won't question enough not to buy one for myself if the price is right and I like the model. You did well with this one. There's a guy, shadowatchmaker on Instagram who does some cool mods on Seikos. Similar to you, not a big mod guy, but appreciate when somebody does a good job.

Air Force Horn

Member Who Talks
Jan 6, 2012
Never heard of that one. What's the price range?
I picked this one up used right at about $500. New, I want to say they go for about $625. There are a few different options, the blue dial being particularly nice in my opinion (except that I just generally prefer black).

Gavox is a microbrand out of Belgium. They've done some flying squadron collaborations, which is probably how I found out about them.

• Angry
Reactions: Sneezybeltran

Air Force Horn

Member Who Talks
Jan 6, 2012
Some days I like Seiko Orange and other days I question it. It's weird, but I won't question enough not to buy one for myself if the price is right and I like the model. You did well with this one. There's a guy, shadowatchmaker on Instagram who does some cool mods on Seikos. Similar to you, not a big mod guy, but appreciate when somebody does a good job.
Seiko orange can be a bit devisive, I'll give you that.

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
One of the best modders is Yobokies https://www.mywatchmart.com/users/yobokies/

Air Force Horn

Member Who Talks
Jan 6, 2012
I sure am getting lots of angry faces from Sneezy lately. It must be that POTD comment from earlier in the week. I didn't make the comment, man, I just applauded its zingy-ness!

Forgot to mention that I am going to try that sail cloth strap on the Seiko when I get home. I think it might look pretty good. I have a hot/cold relationship with NATOs.

• Angry

Sneezybeltran

Dec 4, 2013
I sure am getting lots of angry faces from Sneezy lately. It must be that POTD comment from earlier in the week. I didn't make the comment, man, I just applauded its zingy-ness!

Forgot to mention that I am going to try that sail cloth strap on the Seiko when I get home. I think it might look pretty good. I have a hot/cold relationship with NATOs.
Hahaha, definitely not POTD material sir!

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas

Just give him his space. He's still upset about the LJH touchdown in Lubbock that sunk his red raiders.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden

I don't consider myself a modder per se, I think this might be my only mod, but I liked what he did with this one enough to pick it up at a good price. And I just love Seiko orange!

View attachment 42947
If you see one with black, red, and blue please let me know. That’s beautiful.

Air Force Horn

Member Who Talks
Jan 6, 2012
If you see one with black, red, and blue please let me know. That’s beautiful.
Thanks. It would be easy for a guy like Yobokies to do. All of the mod parts aren't hard to find. The trick is finding the Stargate II from which to start. They seem to be pretty sparse. I'll keep an eye out though.

If you aren't attached to a Stargate (and it's hacking movement), take a look at any of the SKX models. People mod those all the time.

Reactions: Eric Nahlin

Sneezybeltran

Dec 4, 2013
Thanks. It would be easy for a guy like Yobokies to do. All of the mod parts aren't hard to find. The trick is finding the Stargate II from which to start. They seem to be pretty sparse. I'll keep an eye out though.

If you aren't attached to a Stargate (and it's hacking movement), take a look at any of the SKX models. People mod those all the time.
There's somebody else who does a good job. @T-Horn had a dude, but he hasn't been around lately. I should shoot him a note anyway and also will try to post the guy he uses. He had suggested him for my Vostok to have a mod done to it.

Reactions: SAhornfan