Avengers: Endgame (SPOILER THREAD!!!!)

JG

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
Mixed emotions. Loved how they paid homage to the other movies. The sadness at losing Stark at the end...the triumph of Tony after Thanos said "I am inevitable" and Tony says "I am Iron Man". Most of the people in the theater were crying. The way they ended the story arcs of the main Avengers characters was just about perfect.

But damn, that plot had more holes than swiss cheese. They made fun of time travel movies...then went out and broke all the same rules.

You can't turn back time, or change the past, but you can. You can't mess with your former self...but when you kill your younger self, nothing happens to you?

They got all six infinity stones, and put them on the gauntlet...then Cap went and put them back. Yet out in the ether somewhere, Loki is wandering around with one of them?

Speaking of Cap, he goes back and marries Agent Carter. Ok great...so is he ALSO trapped in the ice at the same time? If not, Captain America never comes back, so how can he give the shield to Falcon? See what I mean?

3.5 billion people are snapped out of existence. Five years pass, then they are all snapped back...where? Back to right where they were? So thousands of people appear in the middle of air where they were in airplanes at the time of Thanos' snap? Or did they conveniently put them where they would be safe?

I know it's superheroes and sci fi, but there are some rules to this, and the machinations are supposed to make sense.

roycee1221

Member Who Talks
Dec 23, 2011
Agreed on mixed emotions. One, I cannot believe 12 years of a storyline are over. Two, during the movie I immediately loved it but in hindsight there were some things I didn't care for. That said, it will definitely need a rewatch.

You have some valid points about your questioning of the potentially screwed up timeline but essentially that is covered by Cap going back in time to put the stone back at the exact moment they took it so the timeline isn't altered. I'm not sure if you are interested in a rewatch, but I would pay close attention to two quotes that Banner said: 1) to the Ancient One when he explained to her that bringing the stones back to the exact time they were taken keeps the time continuum in place, 2) when he's speaking to the group about going back in time doesn't change your past; rather going back in time is your new future and your present then becomes the past. Thus, because Cap/Tony went back to the 70's, Loki's timeline where he's gallivanting with the Tesseract never happened since Cap will go to the moment it was taken.

The 3.5 billion people reappearing is harder to explain but I'm sure there is intent behind the snap; that is, when Thanos originally snapped, he wiped out half of all living things. When Tony did it, only Thanos and his crew disappeared. Thus, when Hulk did the reappear (and he mentioned that he tried to bring back Nat), perhaps the intent was the bring back everyone safely. Of course, this requires you to really suspend your disbelief but in the end we're majoring in the minor by having the film be even longer to explain that hole.

Reactions: JG

JG

Oct 29, 2008
I don't think it's hyperbole to say that the end credit sequence with each original Avenger getting a pose and an autograph is now my all-time favorite moment in film. Fourth wall brilliance.
I enjoyed that also.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I enjoyed that also.
Man...

Man, my goal going in was to not straight ugly cry. I knew I was gonna get sniffly, I knew there was likely gonna be some eyeball leakage even, but I came to terms with it. I just didn't want to openly bawl.

The funeral got me close, but something about that final sequence was when it finality hit me. The Avengers, as I've known them for years, is a chapter that has closed. No, didn't ugly cry, but I was glued to my seat, dead certain that what I was watching, these actors taking the theater version of a final bow, was the greatest thing I've ever seen on the silver screen.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Man...

Man, my goal going in was to not straight ugly cry. I knew I was gonna get sniffly, I knew there was likely gonna be some eyeball leakage even, but I came to terms with it. I just didn't want to openly bawl.

The funeral got me close, but something about that final sequence was when it finality hit me. The Avengers, as I've known them for years, is a chapter that has closed. No, didn't ugly cry, but I was glued to my seat, dead certain that what I was watching, these actors taking the theater version of a final bow, was the greatest thing I've ever seen on the silver screen.
That was why I was sad. An extraordinary series of films where they created characters we really care about...is ending.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Man...

Best Pic nominee. Lifetime Achievement. Something.

Reactions: Turnbo828

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
There are a lot of things to debate and poke holes in where the time travel stuff is concerned.

One thing that I unconditionally loved about the time travel aspect is the way it allowed us to flip back, yearbook-style, to some of the greatest hit moments of the Infinity Saga.

The Battle of New York. Quill singing with his Walkman. So great. Our main Avengers each seeing loved ones who’d died.

And Bros...

When Cap went all Mjolnir, I don’t think I’ve ever wanted so badly to stand up and shout in a movie theater.

Nat and Clint.

It’s hard to imagine this film being done better. Well...take out Captain Marvel. So not that hard.

But still. It was crazy good.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
If anyone else was wondering who that random teen boy was standing by himself at Tony’s funeral...

That was the smartass kid from Iron Man 3. Cool touch.

And Happy with Morgan. Tears.

Reactions: PFD

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Best Pic nominee. Lifetime Achievement. Something.
The Pulitzer, The Nobel, The Heisman, The Green Jacket, The Calder Cup, The Golden Hat, A Slammy, that medal that the Millennium Falcon brohs got after they blew up the death star, the ****in outstanding achievement in the field of excellence **** from The Simpsons... Just go full awards szn on this here film. Shower it with gifts.

junglerules

Feb 23, 2012
Texas
If anyone else was wondering who that random teen boy was standing by himself at Tony’s funeral...

That was the smartass kid from Iron Man 3. Cool touch.

And Happy with Morgan. Tears.
Thanks for telling me about the random boy at the funeral- I was definitely curious about that.

Agreed on Happy with Morgan at the end. Easily the part that had me the most emotional.

I didn’t stay until the very end of the credits because I knew there wasn’t a scene, but what’s the deal with the metal clanging? I didn’t hear it so I’m curious, and I assume it’s a clue about what’s to come.

Reactions: idighorns

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
When Cap went all Mjolnir, I don’t think I’ve ever wanted so badly to stand up and shout in a movie theater.
When he jumped up and hit the ****in Falcon Knee from Smash bros on that Thanos chin... ****!

One of my favorite throwaway lines/moments...

Scott Lang, the size-shifting man, realizing his daughter is still alive...

“You got big!”
My first goddammit they're actively trying to make me lose myself in my emotions moment in this movie.

junglerules

Feb 23, 2012
Texas
I can’t stay up too late but just a few thoughts since I just got back.... storyline was a little convoluted but worth it to see the enjoyable callbacks and re-engagement with previous scenes and situations. My favorite of those was Quill’s scene to open GOTG and then getting punched in the face by Nebula.

Interesting to see Hawkeye have such a huge role in this film, although it was set up perfectly by the open of the film. Great emotional lead to connect Infinity War and this film.

Cap catching Moljnir was everything.... was at a packed show with a vocal and active audience, and they lost their **** there, which was a blast.

Emotionally a very satisfying film for me and my boys. And I didn’t mind the Captain Marvel presence as long as she didn’t just slaughter everyone and save the day- that would’ve been way too easy. I’ll ponder some more when I have more time, but I love reading everyone else’s thoughts for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: PFD and idighorns

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks for telling me about the random boy at the funeral- I was definitely curious about that.

Agreed on Happy with Morgan at the end. Easily the part that had me the most emotional.

I didn’t stay until the very end of the credits because I knew there wasn’t a scene, but what’s the deal with the metal clanging? I didn’t hear it so I’m curious, and I assume it’s a clue about what’s to come.
Not a prelude of anything...Rather a callback to where this all started. Tony banging metal in the cave, building the Mark I. Building the metaphorical foundation and shoulders on which this entire Infinity Saga would rest.

A little confusing, yes. But cool if taken as intended.

This was the end. So nothing to hype or look ahead to. Just a final glance back.

Reactions: MikeHdez12

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Not a prelude of anything...Rather a callback to where this all started. Tony banging metal in the cave, building the Mark I. Building the metaphorical foundation and shoulders on which this entire Infinity Saga would rest.

This was the end. So nothing to hype or look ahead to. Just a final glance back.
Now you listen to me, damn it. I don't have anymore tears left. I'm dehydrated from tear letting. So stop trying to extract more tears. There's no more left.

Reactions: Young Williams

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Now you listen to me, damn it. I don't have anymore tears left. I'm dehydrated from tear letting. So stop trying to extract more tears. There's no more left.
No joke, I slept like 12 straight hours last night/today. I swear it was from all the emoting at Endgame.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Y’all got me thinking. Wanna find another show tomorrow, want to see at as many times as I can with people seeing it for their first times.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Y’all got me thinking. Wanna find another show tomorrow, want to see at as many times as I can with people seeing it for their first times.
Just got tickets to see it with my momma on Sunday. She barely got through Infinity War, at one point early on saying aside to me, "I don't like this, everyone's dying," so watching this movie with her is probably gonna finish me off, once and for all.

junglerules

Feb 23, 2012
Texas
Just got tickets to see it with my momma on Sunday. She barely got through Infinity War, at one point early on saying aside to me, "I don't like this, everyone's dying," so watching this movie with her is probably gonna finish me off, once and for all.
****, she may walk out after the opening....

junglerules

Feb 23, 2012
Texas

Thanks- just going off a blurb of what I read on the internet since I didn’t hear it for myself. My boys were with me, and while they loved every moment of it, I think their bladders had reached their max level of patience by 10 pm! They preferred to go once they knew there was no post credit scene(s.)

Last edited:

Texasmade

Jan 27, 2012
I didn't particularly enjoy the first hour/hour and a half of the movie..........but the final hour(ish) made it all worth it. That was incredible even despite the first hour/hour and half of campy plot holes and flawed logic.

Reactions: TexanBlood

Texasmade

Jan 27, 2012
I am looking forward to the Chris Hemsworth/Pratt Guardians buddy cop movie though. That'll be fun.

Reactions: junglerules

JG

Oct 29, 2008
I am looking forward to the Chris Hemsworth/Pratt Guardians buddy cop movie though. That'll be fun.
That should be awesome.

More comic fodder in that now Gamora hates Quill again.

Ktown777

Nov 8, 2015
About to head to the theater in Mansfield for the 11:50 showing and I find it a tad bit ridiculous just how anxious/excited I seem to be about it.

Reactions: junglerules

junglerules

Feb 23, 2012
Texas
About to head to the theater in Mansfield for the 11:50 showing and I find it a tad bit ridiculous just how anxious/excited I seem to be about it.
Any thoughts? I assume still a packed house for a very late showing....

Ktown777

Nov 8, 2015
I loved it. That movie let out at 3:15am and there wasn’t an empty seat in the house that I could see.

The 3 hours flew by to me which is always a good sign right out of the gate. Just two quick thoughts here. Renner/Hawkeye was brilliant... you felt the gravity in his tone with every word he spoke. That scene where Hulk and Rocket team up to find Thor who had been hold up in a beer and video game slump for 5 years was beyond hilarious too.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
Damn that was purdy good. I’m not going to get to mixed up on time travel paradoxes. It’s impossible to do said travel without paradoxes. So cap, black widow and stark are done for good. Any other characters we don’t see again?

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I liked it even more the second time, if just for the lack of anxiety. Now that there's no more fear of getting anything spoiled, or dread that your bladder will betray you, or any other unfortunate event that pulls you from your seat, you won't miss anything you didn't already know was coming. And I think that made the humanity of the first act, the many moments of cope, more impactful than it already was.

Other than that, it's impossible for me to put into words what this movie meant to me so I won't try.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
I liked it even more the second time, if just for the lack of anxiety. Now that there's no more fear of getting anything spoiled, or dread that your bladder will betray you, or any other unfortunate event that pulls you from your seat, you won't miss anything you didn't already know was coming. And I think that made the humanity of the first act, the many moments of cope, more impactful than it already was.

Other than that, it's impossible for me to put into words what this movie meant to me so I won't try.
Endgame >>>>>>>>>GoT episode 3

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012

I dearly enjoyed watching it the second time and enjoying the reactions of the crowd. Had a better, more lively crowd for the 2nd viewing.

Didn’t even mind the idiots who brought their 2yo to a three-hour 10p showing.

Ok, maybe I did mind. But that’s just indescribably selfish behavior. I digress...

I cry 4x in the movie.

Scott Lang seeing Cassie primes the pump, but no tears.

Nat sacrifices herself for Hawkeye: more like Bawleyes

The Avengers Assemble/Cap, on your left: more like Tearstreams Assemble, tears on my face

Tony dies/I Am Iron Man: more like I Am Weeping Man

Tony’s funeral/I’ll buy all the cheeseburgers you want: more like I’ll cry you all the tears you want

Incredible end to an incredible saga.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
Probably 7-8 too many arrows, but that's me and you sound slightly irritated about tonight.
Saw endgame today and it was awesome, I do t have a single gripe honestly. They tied everything up wonderfully. Didn’t remotely drag and I didn’t even notice 3 hours had passed.

veritas15

Sep 8, 2016
I’ve been waiting for that moment for over ten years. When they announced the Avengers concept, I immediately hoped for that scene.

My grandfather was the ultimate man’s man and inspired me to one day serve in the Army. After him, Captain Steve Rogers is one of my most meaningful inspirations going all the way back to when I was a little boy. As cheesy as it sounds, his trait of accepting his duty without complaint or self-pity no matter how difficult it became inspired me on numerous occasions during an 18+ year Special Operations career (“Remember who you wanted to be as a little boy? Now’s your chance.”), and him wielding Mjolnir was the greatest cinematic moment of my lifetime.

Inspirational.

TexanBlood

Jan 22, 2010
Wish it was dos bobby's porch
Saw it yesterday and liked it. Planning on seeing it a second time next weekend.

That part where everyone who vanished from Infinity War show up ready to fight and line up behind Cap will be one to remember. The whole theater was all pumped up and yelling. Never been a part of something like that. It was great!