Avengers: Endgame (SPOILER THREAD!!!!)

mytopia32

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
Loved it. Great writing and a fitting way to end these first three phases. I wonder if audiences will get this invested in future phases.

Man, all those reappeared people are going to have some major counseling bills. If Spider-Man's experience is indicative, they remember being dusted. And now have been brought back FIVE YEARS LATER. How do you cope with that????

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I dearly enjoyed watching it the second time and enjoying the reactions of the crowd. Had a better, more lively crowd for the 2nd viewing.

Didn’t even mind the idiots who brought their 2yo to a three-hour 10p showing.

Ok, maybe I did mind. But that’s just indescribably selfish behavior. I digress...

I cry 4x in the movie.

Scott Lang seeing Cassie primes the pump, but no tears.

Nat sacrifices herself for Hawkeye: more like Bawleyes

The Avengers Assemble/Cap, on your left: more like Tearstreams Assemble, tears on my face

Tony dies/I Am Iron Man: more like I Am Weeping Man

Tony’s funeral/I’ll buy all the cheeseburgers you want: more like I’ll cry you all the tears you want

Incredible end to an incredible saga.
When Tony first comes back and Pepper gets all emotional. That was an early body shot for me.

Reactions: rawb_stark

mytopia32

Oct 29, 2008
Also, Doctor Strange has some serious range on that teleporting thing.

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
Degree of difficulty: 10/10
Fan service: 10/10

I tip my cap. This one was for the folks who've been on this journey all along.

The cold open was devastating. The whole thing but especially the first third was very actor-y. Think back to how many ket scenes were in close-up. Scarlett Johansson was terrific. Paul Rudd was excellent, too. Downey, of course. A reminder that Marvel tends to put very good actors in these things.

Great job tying up all the loose ends. Thanos is one of the best villains in all superhero films and the VFX on his character is top-notch. It was a beautiful-looking film overall.

Now the airing of the grievances.

Fat Thor was not that funny and his subplot of meeting his mother was weak. How long did Natalie Portman spend on set, 10 minutes? She doesn't even get a line. Not a complaint I just found it funny; there were a ton of actors who showed up for one day and cashed a big check.

The big final battle was... pretty good. I thought Infinity War had better battles, this one was just too large in scale and every character had to have a story beat or a line. When all the women lined up for the final charge, I groaned.

Why does everyone always take off their helmet or mark when they deliver a line, even in the middle of battle? I guess Spider-Man doesn't care who knows his secret identity any more.

I had to laugh at Tony's death scene, when he's having a moment with Peter Parker and Gwyneth shoves him out of the way. Step aside kid, I'll show you acting.

Time travel, where to even begin? It's probably unsportsmanlike to poke holes but I feel like they just decided that there are no rules in time travel. Nebula from 2014 travels to 2019 and dies. But isn't she the same Nebula? Or is she a Nebula from a different timeline? Did Steve Rogers travel back into a different timeline, or the same timeline, in order to get old? And in whichever timeline he traveled into, were there two Steve Rogerses?

I hate time travel as a plot device in comics but they really had no other choice. Reminds me of the many great comics crossover events that inspired this one; Very few have satisfying last chapters. Considering everything Marvel had to do with this movie, I'll grade on a curve and say they stuck the landing.

Reactions: idighorns

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Natalie Portman spent 0 minutes on set.

That was repurposed footage from Dark World, hence no lines/dialogue/Thor meeting.

She peaced out on Marvel long ago.

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
Nebula from 2014 travels to 2019 and dies.
Did she for sure die or just get wounded? I didn't for sure think she outright died from the shot by Gamora.

The Cap travel back, I took as he went back in time and didn't crash the plane. Figured out another way after all these years. I was just happy both Cap/Iron Man got their endings, it wasn't all the happiest, but what they've wanted the entire franchise.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
I found out that this movie is all about some environmental terrorist killing half of all people because the entire universe is overpopulated. OK I guess? And the latest is three hours long!

Between this and GoT, the sophistication of our cultural consumption leaves much to be desired.

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
I found out that this movie is all about some environmental terrorist killing half of all people because the entire universe is overpopulated? OK I guess. And the latest is three hours long!

Between this and GoT, the sophistication of our cultural consumption leaves much to be desired.
You couldn't have made a more Duke post if you tried.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
Degree of difficulty: 10/10
Fan service: 10/10

I tip my cap. This one was for the folks who've been on this journey all along.

The cold open was devastating. The whole thing but especially the first third was very actor-y. Think back to how many ket scenes were in close-up. Scarlett Johansson was terrific. Paul Rudd was excellent, too. Downey, of course. A reminder that Marvel tends to put very good actors in these things.

Great job tying up all the loose ends. Thanos is one of the best villains in all superhero films and the VFX on his character is top-notch. It was a beautiful-looking film overall.

Now the airing of the grievances.

Fat Thor was not that funny and his subplot of meeting his mother was weak. How long did Natalie Portman spend on set, 10 minutes? She doesn't even get a line. Not a complaint I just found it funny; there were a ton of actors who showed up for one day and cashed a big check.

The big final battle was... pretty good. I thought Infinity War had better battles, this one was just too large in scale and every character had to have a story beat or a line. When all the women lined up for the final charge, I groaned.

Why does everyone always take off their helmet or mark when they deliver a line, even in the middle of battle? I guess Spider-Man doesn't care who knows his secret identity any more.

I had to laugh at Tony's death scene, when he's having a moment with Peter Parker and Gwyneth shoves him out of the way. Step aside kid, I'll show you acting.

Time travel, where to even begin? It's probably unsportsmanlike to poke holes but I feel like they just decided that there are no rules in time travel. Nebula from 2014 travels to 2019 and dies. But isn't she the same Nebula? Or is she a Nebula from a different timeline? Did Steve Rogers travel back into a different timeline, or the same timeline, in order to get old? And in whichever timeline he traveled into, were there two Steve Rogerses?

I hate time travel as a plot device in comics but they really had no other choice. Reminds me of the many great comics crossover events that inspired this one; Very few have satisfying last chapters. Considering everything Marvel had to do with this movie, I'll grade on a curve and say they stuck the landing.
Time travel and all the dudes come back to life? What garbage.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
You hate 'magic bull****,' but enjoy the one movie with the most magical bull**** of all time? I was wrong, you made a more Duke post. I'm truly impressed.
Of course. Everyone involved in that movie understood how stupid it all was.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
In one weekend endgame is the highest grossing film of the year. Smashed the record for opening game weekend take.

It brought in 350 million domestically 1.2 BILLION worldwide, that’s stupid money.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
Wait, the funniest gag in the movie wasn't funny and a guy getting a chance to tearfully reunite with his dead mother is weak?

You monster!
I kinda liked fat Thor,quote about eating a salad was pretty funny

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
I thought it was great. When they were having their time heist planning sesh and he's just chilling motionless in the corner...

"Is he drunk?" "I think he's dead."
Part of what’s great about MCU is they know the premise is ridiculous and do just the right amount of embracing the cheese

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Part of what’s great about MCU is they know the premise is ridiculous and do just the right amount of embracing the cheese
Right, remember even in that scene, when Thor was obviously far gone and he starts babbling about the aether and says his grandfather had to hide it from the dark elves and he does that oooooohhhh and wiggles his fingers. The material is really heavy thematically and super dark and really needs that levity.

Jonathan Wells

Dec 18, 2012
Arlington, TX
I loved about 99% of it. I was fine with the time travel while it stayed within the rules the movie set for itself, and thought Steve Rogers starting his own alternate timeline and going back to the 40s to spend a life with Peggy Carter would have been great had he just not re-appeared afterwards. Old man Steve Rogers inexplicably showing up in the movie's timeline right at the end made for an emotionally satisfying scene but made no sense given the movie's own time travel rules.

I kinda feel like they could have given Rogers the same satisfying ending by having him leave a note or hologram video or something to explain whey he didn't re-appear in the movie's present day after returning the stones, and maybe have Bucky be the one who gives the shield to Falcon and tells him, "Cap wanted you to have this."

But yeah, "Cap, on your left", the re-appearance of all the MCU characters who vanished in Infinity War, and "Avengers...assemble!", all goosebump-inducing moments. And the whole Captain Amjolnir-ica fight was pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Young Williams

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
"Avengers...assemble!"
My rewatch on Sunday had a much bigger crowd because it was on the weekend and there were more seats so there was a lot more raucousness than my first watch. Clapping, cheering, whistling, everything.

So at this point in the battle, "Avengers..." there were some varied fill-in-the-blank responses from the audience that left a lot to be desired. "Kick some ass!" "Go get 'em!" "FIGHT!"

It could only have been one thing! It could only have been "assemble!" But I had to laugh. They were so far off!

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
My rewatch on Sunday had a much bigger crowd because it was on the weekend and there were more seats so there was a lot more raucousness than my first watch. Clapping, cheering, whistling, everything.

So at this point in the battle, "Avengers..." there were some varied fill-in-the-blank responses from the audience that left a lot to be desired. "Kick some ass!" "Go get 'em!" "FIGHT!"

It could only have been one thing! It could only have been "assemble!" But I had to laugh. They were so far off!
Prevengers!

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
I don't think it's hyperbole to say that the end credit sequence with each original Avenger getting a pose and an autograph is now my all-time favorite moment in film. Fourth wall brilliance.
Someone told me there was no reason to stay for the end credits (and after drinking beer and water for 3 hours I needed to go). Damn!

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Saw endgame today and it was awesome, I do t have a single gripe honestly. They tied everything up wonderfully. Didn’t remotely drag and I didn’t even notice 3 hours had passed.
I finally saw it last night and that's 100% my reaction.

The whole point of making jokes about time travel in movies was to show that any time you try and do time travel in movies, there will be plot holes. Also, anytime you use time travel to retcon something, there will be problems. It's basically a META moment to remind the audience that this is a comic book movie and not everything has to make sense, just accept and enjoy.

TexanBlood

Jan 22, 2010
Wish it was dos bobby's porch
And just like that, Endgame is now second highest grossing movie worldwide with $2.1888 billion so far. Didn’t think it’d happen that quick but Dayum! Gonna see it again in a half hour here.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
And just like that, Endgame is now second highest grossing movie worldwide with $2.1888 billion so far. Didn’t think it’d happen that quick but Dayum! Gonna see it again in a half hour here.
Took my mother to see Captain Marvel since she hadn't seen it yet and Endgame is not only still showing on a bunch of screens but still selling out theaters.

Reactions: Young Williams

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
Will they pass Avatar for domestic is the question now.

mytopia32

Oct 29, 2008
Putting this here because it has massive Endgame spoilers:

Count me as not excited about the multiverse, unless they contain it to Spiderman. Things can get waaaaay too complicated waaaay too fast.

Also, now every time I hear multiverse I'll think:

JG

Oct 29, 2008
The whole multi-verse thing is a wormhole, and it starts losing casual fans. I do like how they are using this movie to move the franchise to the post-Avengers time, and how they are using Fury as the mentor instead of RDJ.

As an aside, I had no idea Holland wasn't American.