Avengers: Endgame (SPOILER THREAD!!!!)

rawb_stark

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
Putting this here because it has massive Endgame spoilers:

Count me as not excited about the multiverse, unless they contain it to Spiderman. Things can get waaaaay too complicated waaaay too fast.

Also, now every time I hear multiverse I'll think:

After setting on this for a day. I think the whole multiverse aspect will be brought in, but I can't believe they'll make this version of Mysterio a 'good guy.' Have to think he'll be full of **** and is creating all these monsters to be the 'hero.' I'm positive I'll love it b/c there really isn't a Marvel movie I hate, except maybe The First Avenger.

I do think it'll open up the idea of multiverse which would allow them to easily bring in; X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc. easier than to say they've been here the whole time and didn't help against Thanos b/c they suck. I've heard rumblings of potentially it tying into a Spider-Man Multiverse which would annoy me at first, but could be awesome if they somehow bring in Miles Morales' character in with Peter Parker. Hypothetically, if he avoided the snap in his verse, they'd be same age.

Lastly, there was apparently an obvious quote by Peggy Carter talking about Captain Britain, which I completely missed initially. Hopefully catch it once I get around to my rewatch.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
I do think it'll open up the idea of multiverse which would allow them to easily bring in; X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc. easier than to say they've been here the whole time and didn't help against Thanos b/c they suck.
Well, neither of the Human Torches could pitch in as they were too busy being Captain America and nemesising Black Panther. Nooch.

Good point, though, seriously.

I’ve been thinking, ever since Homecoming came out, that the obvious path for Marvel going forward is...

1) Establish Spidey/Holland as new Iron Man/Downey.

2) Build around Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic 4. Loooots of meat still left on those bones.

Sony contract issues aside (and all seem to be playing nice for now), Spidey is their biggest character ever, and Holland is really the only actor with charisma approaching anywhere near what Downey brought.

Boseman and Black Panther should be in that mix as well, I’d think.

Even with all the superhero fatigue, I’d have a good bit of forward-moving energy for Spidey/All new X-Men (all new actors)/All new F4 (same).

And you could still have Falcon America, Capt. Marvel, Scarlet Witch, the Asgardians, Hulk still showing up time to time with new characters introduced as well.

Reactions: idighorns

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
And to round this out, the new Spidey trailer couldn’t possibly make it look more like Marvel agrees with at least the first step in my plan.

The following quotes from the trailer with (my inserts)...

“I don’t think Tony (Marvel) would’ve done what he did...If he didn’t know that you were gonna be here after he was gone.”

“You gon’ be the next Iron Man now?”

“Nick Fury (Marvel) is calling you...”

“There’s gotta be someone else you can use. What about Thor? Captain Marvel?”

“The world (Marvel) needs the next Iron Man...”

“Are you going to step up or not (shot of Iron Man graffiti)?”

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Well, neither of the Human Torches could pitch in as they were too busy being Captain America and nemesising Black Panther. Nooch.

Good point, though, seriously.

I’ve been thinking, ever since Homecoming came out, that the obvious path for Marvel going forward is...

1) Establish Spidey/Holland as new Iron Man/Downey.

2) Build around Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic 4. Loooots of meat still left on those bones.

Sony contract issues aside (and all seem to be playing nice for now), Spidey is their biggest character ever, and Holland is really the only actor with charisma approaching anywhere near what Downey brought.

Boseman and Black Panther should be in that mix as well, I’d think.

Even with all the superhero fatigue, I’d have a good bit of forward-moving energy for Spidey/All new X-Men (all new actors)/All new F4 (same).

And you could still have Falcon America, Capt. Marvel, Scarlet Witch, the Asgardians, Hulk still showing up time to time with new characters introduced as well.
Falcon and Bucky are moving to the Disney streaming channel. So is Wanda/Scarlet Witch.
They'll cash in on Spidey, Black Panther, and Captain Marvel (plus the Black Widow prequel).
They'll use parts of Spidey, the inevitable Captain Marvel sequel, and Guardians 3 to move the MCU deeper into space. The Eternals movie is more of this: https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/marvel-eternals-movie-cast-release-date-trailer/
Depending on how ambitious they area (and how much money keeps being made), they could easily have both a more Earth-based MCU and bring X-Men in there, and a space based MCU and have Fantastic Four (and Galactus) in there.

TexanBlood

Jan 22, 2010
Wish it was dos bobby's porch
Currently movie has made $2.503 billion. It would basically need $285 million to beat Avatar for highest grossing movie worldwide. It’s only been out for almost 3 weeks but the movie is starting to cool off and with more blockbusters coming out soon, I’m not sure it’ll make $285 million between now and when it’s out of theaters(which is around first week of September I think).

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
Bro, Tony sacrificed himself out of love for us 3000 and you can't muster love 25 in return??

BTW, I'm booked for Far From Home in IMAX, July 3 at 2200. LFG!
Man, I have a nice theater (overpriced) legit walking distance from my apartment now. It's really hard for me to get into my truck and drive anywhere these days.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Looks like Endgame is a mere $14m behind Avatar now for #1 all-time worldwide.

Should get that easily enough with the re-release, at least until Avatar re-re-releases its re-release.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Watched Far From Home yesterday. Much better than the first Spidey movie. @MikeHdez12 what did you think?

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Watched Far From Home yesterday. Much better than the first Spidey movie. @MikeHdez12 what did you think?
Well, I can't say far better because I enjoyed the hell out of Homecoming, but yes, it was fantastic. In the other thread I gave it an 8.5. Didn't give it a 10 becuase I don't give 10s, not a 9.5 because it wasn't perfect, not a 9 because it wasn't Endgame. Thus 8.5 from me. Levity was the way to go after the the high emotional punch Endgame delivered and Far From Home was legitimately funny.

I continue to enjoy the MCU forging their own path. Though my own comic knowledge is pretty far behind most anyone else here, I know Misterio is/was an archnemesis of Spider-man and now he's dead. My buddy and I agreed that trying to stay away from multiverses and such comic book tropes going forward is the way to go to not alienate the broader audience. That's why I thought Misterio's reveal was not only a perfectly played bit of filmmaking but also a tremendous subversion of expectations because I think many thought we were heading toward a multiverse introduction for phase four.

Zendaya's Mary Jane would've totally been my dream girl in high school. That kind of smart, deadpanny, really dark sense of humor but without the I'd rather be anywhere else temperament of, say, Daria. I remember you said the girls are cuckoo bananas for Tom Holland right now and I can see that age group gobbling up their romance. They do have good chemistry.

J. Jonah Jameson!!! Oh, my God, as a huge fan of the Raimi trilogy, I just about fell out of my seat. That was the best!

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Well, I can't say far better because I enjoyed the hell out of Homecoming, but yes, it was fantastic. In the other thread I gave it an 8.5. Didn't give it a 10 becuase I don't give 10s, not a 9.5 because it wasn't perfect, not a 9 because it wasn't Endgame. Thus 8.5 from me. Levity was the way to go after the the high emotional punch Endgame delivered and Far From Home was legitimately funny.

I continue to enjoy the MCU forging their own path. Though my own comic knowledge is pretty far behind most anyone else here, I know Misterio is/was an archnemesis of Spider-man and now he's dead. My buddy and I agreed that trying to stay away from multiverses and such comic book tropes going forward is the way to go to not alienate the broader audience. That's why I thought Misterio's reveal was not only a perfectly played bit of filmmaking but also a tremendous subversion of expectations because I think many thought we were heading toward a multiverse introduction for phase four.

Zendaya's Mary Jane would've totally been my dream girl in high school. That kind of smart, deadpanny, really dark sense of humor but without the I'd rather be anywhere else temperament of, say, Daria. I remember you said the girls are cuckoo bananas for Tom Holland right now and I can see that age group gobbling up their romance. They do have good chemistry.

J. Jonah Jameson!!! Oh, my God, as a huge fan of the Raimi trilogy, I just about fell out of my seat. That was the best!
Triple J was awesome. Loved it. Less in love with the last (SPOILER) credit scene, but it clearly sets up the next Captain Marvel movie.

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
Triple J was awesome. Loved it. Less in love with the last (SPOILER) credit scene, but it clearly sets up the next Captain Marvel movie.
How’d you not love that last scene? How long has Nick Fury been a Skrull? Have they infiltrated the human race behind Marvel and Fury’s back? Who all is a Skrull?

JG

Oct 29, 2008
How’d you not love that last scene? How long has Nick Fury been a Skrull? Have they infiltrated the human race behind Marvel and Fury’s back? Who all is a Skrull?
I could tell you, but it's not safe for you to know...

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
Those final clips opened so many story archs; Skrulls been running SHIELD all along? Skrulls turn heal and take over the world? Is Old Man Cap America in play now?
I wasn’t even talking the end credits, was talking multi verse and elementals etc

Reactions: rawb_stark

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
So of the things from SDCC:

• The Eternals.
  • Natalie Portman will be Female Thor.
  • Shang-Chi
  • Lots and lots of Disney+ stuff.
  • Doctor Strange sequel which Wanda will be in.
  • Black Widow standalone.
  • Blade reboot with Mahershala Ali (!)
  • Fantastic Four movie
  • Valkyrie is gay
  • An X-Men tease
Think I got all of it.

Reactions: TexanBlood

junglerules

Feb 23, 2012
Texas
So of the things from SDCC:

• The Eternals.
  • Natalie Portman will be Female Thor.
  • Shang-Chi
  • Lots and lots of Disney+ stuff.
  • Doctor Strange sequel which Wanda will be in.
  • Black Widow standalone.
  • Blade reboot with Mahershala Ali (!)
  • Fantastic Four movie
  • Valkyrie is gay
  • An X-Men tease
Think I got all of it.
Just to add a few more details, it sounds like the second Dr. Strange movie is being teased as the first "scary" Marvel movie, which should be interesting in what it's rated and how audience embraces it.

A few of those Disney+ shows include Bucky and Falcon, Loki, and Hawkeye. Also, there is an animated "What If?" series coming out that sounds pretty interesting. It seems based on the comics version in which important moments are revisited and imagined from different perspectives. Anyway, sounds like some cool stuff on the way....

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Any news from the comic con nerds about future of MCU?
This is pretty comprehensive:

The next phase is going to be interesting. Black Widow is probably the only familiar character that will be showing up over the next 3 movies. The 3 big sequels that I would assume people are waiting for ie Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, and Guardians 3, are nowhere on the schedule and almost an after-thought at this point.
The Disney+ shows will be continuations of the early MCU, with shows for Falcon (as the new Captain America) and Bucky the Winter Soldier, Wanda/Scarlet Witch and Vision (meh), Loki, and eventually a Hawkeye where he's more like his Ronin charater from Endgame and training a new female Hawkeye. Also a "What If" animated series that will use lots of familiar characters with the voices of the actual actors; this one could be very fun.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011

The next phase is going to be interesting. Black Widow is probably the only familiar character that will be showing up over the next 3 movies. The 3 big sequels that I would assume people are waiting for ie Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, and Guardians 3, are nowhere on the schedule and almost an after-thought at this point.
The Disney+ shows will be continuations of the early MCU, with shows for Falcon (as the new Captain America) and Bucky the Winter Soldier, Wanda/Scarlet Witch and Vision (meh), Loki, and eventually a Hawkeye where he's more like his Ronin charater from Endgame and training a new female Hawkeye. Also a "What If" animated series that will use lots of familiar characters with the voices of the actual actors; this one could be very fun.
It’s going to be weird with no avengers type movie to tie everyone together

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011

I can’t say that there is a lot that excites me about that list of films

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
I can’t say that there is a lot that excites me about that list of films
Guardians came out of nowhere and was a radical departure from the MCU both tone-wise and story-wise. The only ties to the previous movies were the villains, and at that point Thanos was mostly just a cameo. So I'll give them a big benefit of the doubt about this phase.
I don't know much about the various comic storylines, so I don't know what big event story might be in the works, but I suspect it'll happen in space and introduce the Fantastic Four (since they were mentioned in passing at SDCC presentation). They also seem to have two separate directions going now, with one more Earth-based and veering towards horror (Dr Strange, Blade, could even move Shang Chi that direction depending) and the other space-centered.

Reactions: Jdhmills

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Just to add a few more details, it sounds like the second Dr. Strange movie is being teased as the first "scary" Marvel movie, which should be interesting in what it's rated and how audience embraces it.

A few of those Disney+ shows include Bucky and Falcon, Loki, and Hawkeye. Also, there is an animated "What If?" series coming out that sounds pretty interesting. It seems based on the comics version in which important moments are revisited and imagined from different perspectives. Anyway, sounds like some cool stuff on the way....
"Gothic horror" is what I think they're labeling that Doctor Strange sequel. Doesn't sound like a straight horror in the way most audiences believe it, maybe more of a psychological bent.
But speaking of Marvel horror movies, seems like we've been waiting forever for The New Mutants. When I first saw that trailer, I was hooked, but then it's release date kept getting pushed further and further back.

I'm very excited about phase 4 of the MCU, to the point I think I'm gonna have to go in on Disney+. I was probably going to anyway, but I have an infamous disdain for streaming entertainment services. This one feels too big to pass up and, like almost all kids, I've always been a huge Disney fan going back to their old animation. Don't think I'll get around to watching every show they put out though. Definitely not enough time in the day for me so I'll have to pick and choose which ones I get into.

junglerules

Feb 23, 2012
Texas
"Gothic horror" is what I think they're labeling that Doctor Strange sequel. Doesn't sound like a straight horror in the way most audiences believe it, maybe more of a psychological bent.
But speaking of Marvel horror movies, seems like we've been waiting forever for The New Mutants. When I first saw that trailer, I was hooked, but then it's release date kept getting pushed further and further back.

I'm very excited about phase 4 of the MCU, to the point I think I'm gonna have to go in on Disney+. I was probably going to anyway, but I have an infamous disdain for streaming entertainment services. This one feels too big to pass up and, like almost all kids, I've always been a huge Disney fan going back to their old animation. Don't think I'll get around to watching every show they put out though. Definitely not enough time in the day for me so I'll have to pick and choose which ones I get into.
I was watching about 20-30 minutes of the first Dr. Strange yesterday, and that "psychological horror" angle would make sense for sure. That whole movie is pretty trippy, but I enjoyed it on the whole.

Yeah, the Disney + is seeming more intriguing by the day. My older kiddos (and me) would be most interested in the Marvel stuff while my little girl might love a lot of the classic Disney stuff. Any word on pricing? If it's not too expensive, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Disney+ is also going to have the various Star Wars TV shows. All that plus being the only streaming home of the MCU and Star Wars movies is a big sell for me.

@MikeHdez12 I was also super into that New Mutants trailer but apparently either the movie itself didn't test well or the (non-Marvel Studios) execs decided they didn't like it because it's been shelved for years while being reworked. Rarely a good sign.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I was watching about 20-30 minutes of the first Dr. Strange yesterday, and that "psychological horror" angle would make sense for sure. That whole movie is pretty trippy, but I enjoyed it on the whole.

Yeah, the Disney + is seeming more intriguing by the day. My older kiddos (and me) would be most interested in the Marvel stuff while my little girl might love a lot of the classic Disney stuff. Any word on pricing? If it's not too expensive, I wouldn't be opposed to it.
$6.99 a month! How about that? I thought they'd follow the normal Disney trend of making you pay through the nose for anything that carries that name, but that was very pleasant. No clue how long it'll stay at that rate, but with the Disney vault, hopefully some of their old shows (I haven't seen Gargoyles in so long) and the coming entities from Fox like The Simpsons, it's probably a must.

TexanBlood

Jan 22, 2010

Think it’s $6.99 a month.......for now at least

Reactions: junglerules

TexanBlood

Jan 22, 2010
$6.99 a month! How about that? I thought they'd follow the normal Disney trend of making you pay through the nose for anything that carries that name, but that was very pleasant. No clue how long it'll stay at that rate, but with the Disney vault, hopefully some of their old shows (I haven't seen Gargoyles in so long) and the coming entities from Fox like The Simpsons, it's probably a must.
Let’s not forget what they’ll do with Hulu.