Best Albums of the 90s

SAhornfan

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
It's still going. My wife and I met at Lolla '08. I did not see the first-ever Lollapalooza tour but I did see Year 2 which many consider the best lineup in its history: Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Tool, Stone Temple Pilots, Rage Against the Machine.
Yep. It'll be in Chicago this year.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
i'm 37 this year
F

i was then informed that the kids these days have never heard of jane's addiction. brutal realization brah
I remember when Beck won the Grammy a few years ago and Twitter almost burned to the ground because for one thing the Beyhive was pissed but also half of Twitter didn't know who Beck was and the other half coped by angrily trying to educate them.

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
I remember when Beck won the Grammy a few years ago and Twitter almost burned to the ground because for one thing the Beyhive was pissed but also half of Twitter didn't know who Beck was and the other half coped by angrily trying to educate them.
Complaining about the Grammys is like complaining about Big 12 refs. They're always wrong but not wrong uniformly, and yet I still can't stop myself from complaining.

In this case it was the Grammys being, you know, 20 years too late. But Odelay absolutely belongs on any list of the best albums of the 90s, and I know a lot of folks who make a strong case for Midnite Vultures, too.

Reactions: PFD

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
I began branching out to movie scores once I got to college. Some of my 90s favorites...

John Williams, JFK (super-underrated Johnny Wobbles)
Mark Isham, A River Runs Through It
Thomas Newman, The Shawshank Redemption
Eric Serra, The Professional
James Horner, Apollo 13
Various Artists, Heat
Paul Buckmaster, 12 Monkeys
Ry Cooder, Last Man Standing
Nellee Hooper, Romeo + Juliet
Eric Serra, The Fifth Element
Danny Elfman, Good Will Hunting
James Horner, Titanic
Aaron Copland*, He Got Game*
John Williams, Saving Private Ryan

Reactions: PFD

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Complaining about the Grammys is like complaining about Big 12 refs. They're always wrong but not wrong uniformly, and yet I still can't stop myself from complaining.

In this case it was the Grammys being, you know, 20 years too late. But Odelay absolutely belongs on any list of the best albums of the 90s, and I know a lot of folks who make a strong case for Midnite Vultures, too.
Do you mean that Jethro Tull didn't have the best hard rock/metal performance of 1989? I find that very hard to believe.

junglerules

Feb 23, 2012
Texas
It's still going. My wife and I met at Lolla '08. I did not see the first-ever Lollapalooza tour but I did see Year 2 which many consider the best lineup in its history: Chili Peppers, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Tool, Stone Temple Pilots, Rage Against the Machine.
That's awesome. The only year I went was Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, George Clinton and the P Funk All Stars, and Green Day, to name the most well-known bands. I enjoyed the lineup, but nothing like that one....

junglerules

Feb 23, 2012
Texas
I started looking back at all the albums that came out in the 90's, and I figured I had a better chance of curing cancer than narrowing a list down to top 10.... So, I decided I might just start throwing some other albums in the mix that I really enjoyed from the decade.

A few that come to mind include Fiona Apple's "Tidal" and Outkast's "Aquemini." I liked "Southernplayalistic..." and "ATLiens," but "Aquemini" sounded like nothing else, and I could easily put that album on right now and it would sound just as fresh and current as it did then. "Stankonia" was great when it came out, but I always felt "Aquemini" was elite.

I know "Pinkerton" gets lots of love, especially after it's resurgence that ultimately followed all the hatred it initially received. But man, it's hard to top the Blue album. And I love the non-radio tracks like "No One Else" and "In The Garage" as much as I like the stuff that played non-stop on the radio and MTV.

I'm sure some felt it was a little too mainstream, but there was a significant span of time in which "Dookie" was on my radio non-stop. Such a catchy album, imo.

Did anyone else mention "Automatic For the People?" I liked "Monster," but I think AFTP was the better album top to bottom. I still get "Drive" and "Man on the Moon" stuck in my head to this day....

fdub206

Member Who Talks
Oct 29, 2008
kent, washington
I started looking back at all the albums that came out in the 90's, and I figured I had a better chance of curing cancer than narrowing a list down to top 10.... So, I decided I might just start throwing some other albums in the mix that I really enjoyed from the decade.

Agree 100% on outkast. It doesn't sound dated at all. Still just as good today as it was then.

A few that come to mind include Fiona Apple's "Tidal" and Outkast's "Aquemini." I liked "Southernplayalistic..." and "ATLiens," but "Aquemini" sounded like nothing else, and I could easily put that album on right now and it would sound just as fresh and current as it did then. "Stankonia" was great when it came out, but I always felt "Aquemini" was elite.

I know "Pinkerton" gets lots of love, especially after it's resurgence that ultimately followed all the hatred it initially received. But man, it's hard to top the Blue album. And I love the non-radio tracks like "No One Else" and "In The Garage" as much as I like the stuff that played non-stop on the radio and MTV.

I'm sure some felt it was a little too mainstream, but there was a significant span of time in which "Dookie" was on my radio non-stop. Such a catchy album, imo.

Did anyone else mention "Automatic For the People?" I liked "Monster," but I think AFTP was the better album top to bottom. I still get "Drive" and "Man on the Moon" stuck in my head to this day....

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
What a lineup
Except that Tool only played one date on the second stage. Same with RATM, and not the same date.
On the other hand, the main stage also had Jesus and Mary Chain, Lush, and Ice Cube.

My only year was 1994, headlined by Smashing Pumpkins and also including Green Day, A Tribe Called Quest, and the Beastie Boys.

junglerules

Feb 23, 2012
Texas
Except that Tool only played one date on the second stage. Same with RATM, and not the same date.
On the other hand, the main stage also had Jesus and Mary Chain, Lush, and Ice Cube.

My only year was 1994, headlined by Smashing Pumpkins and also including Green Day, A Tribe Called Quest, and the Beastie Boys.
Did you go to the show east of Houston as well? Can’t remember if it was Baytown or something else out that way. I think I left when people started throwing shoes at Billy Corgan. In fairness, his voice was terrible live.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Did you go to the show east of Houston as well? Can’t remember if it was Baytown or something else out that way. I think I left when people started throwing shoes at Billy Corgan. In fairness, his voice was terrible live.
I went to the one in Dallas at the Cotton Bowl amphitheater. Corgan and James Iha got in a fight at the end of the set and we’re screaming at each other over the mics.

Reactions: junglerules

junglerules

Feb 23, 2012
Texas
I went to the one in Dallas at the Cotton Bowl amphitheater. Corgan and James Iha got in a fight at the end of the set and we’re screaming at each other over the mics.
Ha! Ok. I just checked and the show I saw was in Baytown the day before the Dallas show. I was supposed to go with a friend, but his mom wouldn't let him go. So...I just decided to go by myself. An executive decision made by me because no way I would've had permission to go alone if I asked.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Ha! Ok. I just checked and the show I saw was in Baytown the day before the Dallas show. I was supposed to go with a friend, but his mom wouldn't let him go. So...I just decided to go by myself. An executive decision made by me because no way I would've had permission to go alone if I asked.
Properly 90s rebellious!
I was the entertainment editor for The Daily Texan that summer and we did a full-page spread for Lollapalooza. I got to interview George Clinton on the phone. His set was good but not amazing. They gave us 2 free passes for the show, one of which included access to the seating area. They put it on my wrist loosely so three of us were able to take turns going up front for bands (I got Tribe, Chris Gray went for Breeders and Nick Cave, my girlfriend at the time used it for Beastie Boys because I'm a sucker).

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
A thread on the Members board reminded me of a great 90s R&B album:

Jodeci, Forever My Lady

Reactions: idighorns

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Thought of another one today:

Tom Petty, Wildflowers

I associate that album strongly with my first year at UT, living in Jester.
Talk about repressed memory ( I know we weren't) but reminded me of Into The Great Wide Open. I love that album but I associate it with the divorce I was going through at the time.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Talk about repressed memory ( I know we weren't) but reminded me of Into The Great Wide Open. I love that album but I associate it with the divorce I was going through at the time.
I have something similar going on with Blood Sugar Sex Magik. I really wore that album out in high school and even more so in college, but even though I have it pretty high on the list with regard to the topic of this thread, I haven't listened to it front to back since 2012. It was playing during an especially traumatic scene in my past and I haven't been able to enjoy it since. Kind of a bummer but that's music.

junglerules

Feb 23, 2012
Texas
I’m not sure it qualifies as “best,” but I remember buying “August and Everything After” and Beck’s “Mellow Gold” on the same day at the mall. Two very different but great purchases. Really liked some of the other stuff on that Beck album, and it was definitely a sneak peek of his eclectic style.

Reactions: TexasPalladin

fdub206

Member Who Talks
Oct 29, 2008
kent, washington
Any concerts you guys regret missing that you had a chance to see in the 90's? Mine would be Alice in Chains. They were supposed to open for Metallica but Layne went to rehab..again. Also had a chance to see Nirvana and turned it down which I now regret.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Any concerts you guys regret missing that you had a chance to see in the 90's? Mine would be Alice in Chains. They were supposed to open for Metallica but Layne went to rehab..again. Also had a chance to see Nirvana and turned it down which I now regret.
Don’t even get me started.

Had a chance to see hey-day Public Enemy open for U2 at Texas Stadium in 1993. “Friend” screwed me out of a ticket I’d already paid for. Never did see PE.

Had a chance to see Lenny Kravitz and Blind Melon in Dallas in ‘93. Got “pledged” out of that show by my stupid fraternity.

Had a chance to see Rage Against the Machine open for U2 at the Cotton Bowl in 1997, but got all the way to the parking lot before realizing I’d left the tickets at home.

I’m nothing but gangly arms and missed connections with 90s concerts.

Peak-era Fugees is close to #1 on my list of all-time shows I wish I’d seen.

Guess you got me started.

fdub206

Member Who Talks
Oct 29, 2008
kent, washington

Had a chance to see hey-day Public Enemy open for U2 at Texas Stadium in 1993. “Friend” screwed me out of a ticket I’d already paid for. Never did see PE.

Had a chance to see Lenny Kravitz and Blind Melon in Dallas in ‘93. Got “pledged” out of that show by my stupid fraternity.

Had a chance to see Rage Against the Machine open for U2 at the Cotton Bowl in 1997, but got all the way to the parking lot before realizing I’d left the tickets at home.

I would have loved to have seen the Fugees. Having seen Rage a handful of times, damn you missed out!

Reactions: junglerules

ponyhorn

Aug 27, 2012
That was the best show I've ever seen... You forgot Ice Cube was there as well

junglerules

Feb 23, 2012
Texas
I would've loved to see Nirvana live for sure. As for a show that just missed the 90's, my buddy from UT and I had tickets for Rage and Beastie Boys in 2000, but that tour got ultimately cancelled due to Mike D getting hurt. I was fortunate to see the Beasties 3 other times and Rage once, but we were so stoked for them touring together....

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Nirvana, although I'm not sure there was a circumstance in which I could've seen them but "missed" them.
The Ramones. They had to cancel a couple of times in Austin, and then the last time they played was opening for Pearl Jam at Southpark Meadows at a show that was already sold out from a prvious reschedule (and also I hate Pearl Jam).

I've seen PE 3 times, and the first time I saw them in '92 was probably the worst.
I saw Blind Melon. Unless you liked generic hard rock, they kinda sucked. Best part was how much they hated playing their hit song, and how they played it really fast and heavy.
I've only seen Rage once, it was October of '93, with Quicksand at Liberty Lunch. Amazing show from both bands.

Reactions: Young Williams

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I would've loved to see Nirvana live for sure. As for a show that just missed the 90's, my buddy from UT and I had tickets for Rage and Beastie Boys in 2000, but that tour got ultimately cancelled due to Mike D getting hurt. I was fortunate to see the Beasties 3 other times and Rage once, but we were so stoked for them touring together....
Man, what were those Beastie Boys shows even like? Very high energy, I'm assuming. And how much time did they spend playing instruments or did they mostly stroll about the stage?

fdub206

Member Who Talks
Oct 29, 2008
kent, washington
Nirvana, although I'm not sure there was a circumstance in which I could've seen them but "missed" them.
The Ramones. They had to cancel a couple of times in Austin, and then the last time they played was opening for Pearl Jam at Southpark Meadows at a show that was already sold out from a prvious reschedule (and also I hate Pearl Jam).

I've seen PE 3 times, and the first time I saw them in '92 was probably the worst.
I saw Blind Melon. Unless you liked generic hard rock, they kinda sucked. Best part was how much they hated playing their hit song, and how they played it really fast and heavy.
I've only seen Rage once, it was October of '93, with Quicksand at Liberty Lunch. Amazing show from both bands.

I am opposite. I was never really that into Nirvana (i like them more now) so when my buddy offered me a ticket i said no. i was and still am a huge PJ fan. Growing up PJ vs Nirvana was like the crips and blood for white kids in Doc Martens in Seattle, you could only support one and i went with PJ.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Man, what were those Beastie Boys shows even like? Very high energy, I'm assuming. And how much time did they spend playing instruments or did they mostly stroll about the stage?
Have I mentioned that, in theory, I could've seen the Beasties twice back in the mid-80s when they were just starting out? They opened for Run-DMC at a show that a bunch of other kids from my middle-school went to, and then they opened for Madonna on her Like a Virgin tour that my best friend went to. But my parents were poor grad students and wouldn't let me go/couldn't buy me a ticket.

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Have I mentioned that, in theory, I could've seen the Beasties twice back in the mid-80s when they were just starting out? They opened for Run-DMC at a show that a bunch of other kids from my middle-school went to, and then they opened for Madonna on her Like a Virgin tour that my best friend went to. But my parents were poor grad students and wouldn't let me go/couldn't buy me a ticket.
I had a chance to go to the Run-DMC show with the Beasties in the mid-Eighties. Don't remember why I didn't but definitely should have.

junglerules

Feb 23, 2012
Texas
It was truly a mix. The shows I saw were from the Ill Communication and Hello Nasty tours I think, so they would bounce around the stage some but also play instruments as well on the instrumental stuff or some of the “Check Your Head” tracks. One of my most random memories was me standing on the floor at the Summit in Houston then randomly feeling someone crash into my knees from behind. I turn around and security is dragging off someone who had leapt over the barricade to try to get on to the floor area for the show. Luckily I wasn’t hurt, but it was pretty surprising!

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
Good question. I missed Nirvana (I was on Team Pearl Jam, you guys remember, that supposed rivalry was a thing). Metallica. GnR. Jane's Addiction. The Pixies, who I didn't see till they reunited. Same with Pavement. U2, didn't see them till the 2000s. Tom Petty, never saw him.

I'd return the question and ask, what were the best shows you saw in the 90s?

I saw Radiohead on the OK Computer tour at the Hammerstein Ballroom in 1997. That's number one will a bullet. I still have the ticket stub tucked into the back of the CD case.

Pearl Jam at Moody Coliseum in 1993 was pretty great, too.

I was never that much of a Deadhead but I did see the Grateful Dead in 1995 at Soldier Field in what turned out to be Jerry's last show. Wish I liked them more.

Reactions: Young Williams

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
My favorite concert of the 90s was Big Head Todd opening for Dave Matthews at the Mud Island Amphitheater in Memphis in '95.

It's an awesome outdoor venue, on the point of the peninsula where the Wolf River flows into the Mississippi. And both bands were at the height of their powers.

BTW, almost exactly two years later, Jeff Buckley drowned in the Wolf River near that same location.