Best Albums of the 90s

Young Williams

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Jan 24, 2012
Here’s what writer and director Cameron Crowe, who personally assembled the soundtrack, has to say on the subject.

Reading between the lines, I don’t think Crowe ever really wanted Nirvana on the soundtrack.

It’s obvious that he was personal and emotionally invested in other bands like Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, and Mudhoney, based on his personal experiences and relationships in Seattle in the late 80s and early 90s.

Not so with Nirvana. This interview and other sources show that he didn’t bring Nirvana to the table, based on what he wanted. Instead, Warner Brothers brought Nirvana to him, because of their commercial success.

Him saying that “I think Nirvana didn’t want to be a part of it” is a diplomatic way of not having to say that he didn’t really want their music on the soundtrack to begin with.

BTW, a trivia question for the resident Cobain sycophants—when did Alice In Chains’ “Man in the Box” first chart in comparison to when “Smells Like Teen Spirit” first charted.
This is actually what I remembered reading that made me post my initial response. Not sure I take away from that what you take away from that, but I acknowledge there's room for interpretation.

Either way, I'm glad Nirvana isn't on that soundtrack. I can't imagine a song of theirs that would particularly fit the vibe. Though it would be fascinating to know what Crowe would've included if he could've had any Nirvana song and had to include them.

That soundtrack needed some Ray Charles and Quincy Jones, in my opinion. I love having Jimi and the Heart sisters on there.

Reactions: PFD

junglerules

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Feb 23, 2012
Texas
Here’s a great read about a bunch of “behind the scenes” stuff of the Nirvana Unplugged episode. Tons of minutia, but also lots of intriguing details, in my opinion.

I think the covers of “Lake of Fire,” “Jesus Don’t Want Me for a Sunbeam” and “Where Did You Sleep Last Night?” were my favorite tracks from the show.