Big 12 spring check ins

quo_vadis

Member Who Talks
Nov 16, 2020
Interesting list, Ian. The overall list looks reasonable, but you really anticipate Texas finishing 4th in the Big 12? From my layman's view, I expect TCU to finish at least one place lower and OSU to finish at least a notch higher.

Ian Boyd

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
Interesting list, Ian. The overall list looks reasonable, but you really anticipate Texas finishing 4th in the Big 12? From my layman's view, I expect TCU to finish at least one place lower and OSU to finish at least a notch higher.
I dunno about finish, it's more like how I'd rank everyone's current power/potential.

I'm high on TCU, I think their defense has some major reasons for optimism and their offense could be legitimately good for the first time in a while. Oklahoma State is a little tricky. I like their weapons on offense and think they'll have a strong team overall, it's hard to differentiate between teams 2-5.

DuvalHorn

Nov 1, 2017
If you were to separate the teams into tiers, Ian, how would it look? My guess:

Oklahoma

TCU
Iowa State
Texas
Oklahoma State

West Virginia
Kansas State

Baylor
Texas Tech

Kansas

lazer2222

Aug 2, 2019
Really enjoyed these, thanks for the effort that went into them.

If time allows, I'd be interested to see a similar check-in for Arkansas.

stilesbbq

Oct 2, 2019
If you were to separate the teams into tiers, Ian, how would it look? My guess:

Oklahoma

TCU
Iowa State
Texas
Oklahoma State

West Virginia
Kansas State

Baylor
Texas Tech

Kansas
Personally I would put Ok Steak in tier 3 but otherwise agree

Inanehorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 3, 2015
I dunno about finish, it's more like how I'd rank everyone's current power/potential.

I'm high on TCU, I think their defense has some major reasons for optimism and their offense could be legitimately good for the first time in a while. Oklahoma State is a little tricky. I like their weapons on offense and think they'll have a strong team overall, it's hard to differentiate between teams 2-5.
Iowa St plays the very defense you've been highest on. They return most everyone, and between Hall and Purdy w/receiving targets, why would you think TCU is a better bet? I'd take OK St over Texas b/c of returning QBs and over KSt b/c of skill position talent.

Reactions: stilesbbq

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
Iowa St plays the very defense you've been highest on. They return most everyone, and between Hall and Purdy w/receiving targets, why would you think TCU is a better bet? I'd take OK St over Texas b/c of returning QBs and over KSt b/c of skill position talent.
TCU has a better wideout in QJ than Iowa State has, a better left tackle, better corners, and aren't far behind on edge players. Their issue has been "infrastructure." Meaning quarterback play, defensive tackles, etc. All those areas look firmer in 2021, which means their athleticism on the edge can actually matter.

Ok State over Texas because of Spencer Sanders is possible but a little tough from what we've seen of Sanders. How sure are we third year Sanders will be better than second year Card? Possible but not certain. And then elsewhere Oklahoma State doesn't enjoy many advantages over Texas.

Ok State over K-State at skill positions isn't a big slam dunk to me either. Their wideouts might be very good in Stillwater, K-State could be nasty as well if Malik Knowles puts it together. In the secondary on the other side of the ball I don't see a major edge for OSU over the Wildcats.

I think all of these teams are really close though, it's hard to differentiate between many of them and injuries will often do that work rather than what was guessed at in the offseason.