Big 12...

keganr

Member Who Talks
Aug 14, 2020
We are wayyyyyyyy ahead of really diving into the offseason and reviewing tape, but with the way things are shaping up, it may be time to start talking about the Big 12 being the toughest league in the P5 next year.

Top-25 teams:

Oklahoma (top-4)
Iowa State (top-8)
Texas (top-25)
TCU (top-25)

Then the middle of the league:

Kansas State
Oklahoma State
West Virginia
Baylor

Are going to be fantastic to watch, too. Probably eight teams among the top-40 or top-50 in college football.

Going to be fun week in and week out.

sherf1

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 8, 2018
Does ISU return the bulk of last year's team? I know Hall and Purdy are back.

Not sure about the defense and Kollar though.

That said without some more significant outside threats they'll always be a bit limited.

tglover13

Aug 14, 2020
Denton

That said without some more significant outside threats they'll always be a bit limited.
Kolar said today he’s coming back. They also had Xavier Hutchinson start to break out towards the end of the season. Definitely will be formidable.

Reactions: wabash and sherf1

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI

Iowa State brings back almost all the engines of their success except Greg Eisworth and JaQuan Bailey, and they return Isheem Young and Will McDonald in those areas (deep safety and edge rush).

keganr

Member Who Talks
Aug 14, 2020

Xavier Hutchinson is one of the best 2022 NFL wide receiver prospects that no one is talking about. Guy will be a late second round pick if not higher.

Reactions: sherf1

keganr

Member Who Talks
Aug 14, 2020
Iowa State brings back almost all the engines of their success except Greg Eisworth and JaQuan Bailey, and they return Isheem Young and Will McDonald in those areas (deep safety and edge rush).
Greg Eisworth is returning

Reactions: wabash

sherf1

Dec 8, 2018
Very high floor team.

Ceiling still limited by space force athleticism, but type of team you have bring at least your B+ game to win if you're Texas or OU.

Also will be very interesting to see how Sark approaches the Flyover Defense.

Reactions: b3v0 and wabash

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
Greg Eisworth is returning
Oh snap.
Very high floor team.

Ceiling still limited by space force athleticism, but type of team you have bring at least your B+ game to win if you're Texas or OU.

Also will be very interesting to see how Sark approaches the Flyover Defense.
Space force athleticism may not be an issue for Iowa State next year. They've slowly been upgrading there and will have a lot of experience back.

sherf1

Dec 8, 2018
Xavier Hutchinson is one of the best 2022 NFL wide receiver prospects that no one is talking about. Guy will be a late second round pick if not higher.
As we probably all do, definitely have some "what did they do against my team bias". Hutchinson was a non factor vs Texas but was big in both OU games.

Reactions: b3v0

sherf1

Dec 8, 2018
Oh snap.

Space force athleticism may not be an issue for Iowa State next year. They've slowly been upgrading there and will have a lot of experience back.
We'll see. I compared them to 2018 Texas at the start of this year and that turned out to be a weirdly specifically accurate projection for them.

If Purdy can keep the playmaking while limiting the turnovers that will be a huge development for them

Reactions: b3v0 and wabash

patentjt

Member Who Talks
Aug 14, 2020
Jaquan Bailey's run defense was fantastic. Will McDonald was the better edge rusher. McDonald returns ...
But without Bailey, ISU's D is way more susceptible against the run now. Their ability last yr to still stop the run with a 3 man front was one of their big advantages.

To beat ISU's 3-3-5 defense, u must either run effectively and/or beat it over the top.

I like that Sark's offense is sort of built on those features (i.e. effective run game plus play action deep shots options on every play)

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
But without Bailey, ISU's D is way more susceptible against the run now. Their ability last yr to still stop the run with a 3 man front was one of their big advantages.

To beat ISU's 3-3-5 defense, u must either run effectively and/or beat it over the top.

I like that Sark's offense is sort of built on those features (i.e. effective run game plus play action deep shots options on every play)
I expect McDonald to be really formidable next season in their scheme. They also have Uwazurike back and some other DL that can play.

Also B12 DPOY Mike Rose returns.

ripharley

Member Who Talks
Jul 15, 2017
I expect McDonald to be really formidable next season in their scheme. They also have Uwazurike back and some other DL that can play.

Also B12 DPOY Mike Rose returns.
And Matt’s made it official that he has no plans to depart.

coolhorn

Nov 11, 2013
We are wayyyyyyyy ahead of really diving into the offseason and reviewing tape, but with the way things are shaping up, it may be time to start talking about the Big 12 being the toughest league in the P5 next year.

Top-25 teams:

Oklahoma (top-4)
Iowa State (top-8)
Texas (top-25)
TCU (top-25)

Kansas State
Oklahoma State
West Virginia
Baylor

Are going to be fantastic to watch, too. Probably eight teams among the top-40 or top-50 in college football.

Yay us.

ripharley

Member Who Talks
Jul 15, 2017
Well let's see what happens with Ryan Day and NFL openings first but it appears promising with Michigan retaining Jim Harbaugh.
Yup, I don’t recall his statement but I’m sure he was careful to stay in the present tense.

coolhorn

Nov 11, 2013

Top-25 teams:

Oklahoma (top-4)
Iowa State (top-8)
Texas (top-25)
TCU (top-25)

Kansas State
Oklahoma State
West Virginia
Baylor

Hey Kegan, sorry for the snarky first post on your thread here. Your OP is actually good. I'm just one of those guys who's not a big fan of the not-so-Big XII, especially since it shrunk.

I don't see a future for the conference beyond the next four or five years unless there's some kind of a merger involving some PAC schools, so therefore, I don't get swept up in conference pride things like SEC! SEC! SEC! fans do.

The B-12 might be pretty entertaining this next year, now that Sark's on the scene, and I hope you're right that it will be that tough. By the way, post more. I like your writing. And don't take offense at any snarky stuff I might post. No personal offense is intended. I just don't get carried away by B-12 fever. :)

bdwehner

Dec 16, 2010
OP is spot on. It feels like every Big XII team is going to improve from this year. Which makes what Herman failed to accomplish in 2020 all the more frustrating.

2021 does look to be a really entertaining season all around. I just hope we mud hole TCU.

tholly

Oct 29, 2008
North Richland Hills, Tx

Top-25 teams:

Oklahoma (top-4)
Iowa State (top-8)
Texas (top-25)
TCU (top-25)
Silly saying we're possibly the toughest league. Surely you have learned that the every team in the sec should be in the top 8

cord32

Aug 28, 2018
I don't have confidence it TCU next year. They lose the anchors of that D with the safeties gone. Maybe Duggan makes the leap but i'm skeptical. Road games at ISU OSU and OU early in the year along with Cal and SMU in out of conference.

They probably have more elite talent on O than the middle teams so its possible. I still would bet on Gundy and maybe even WVU before them.

I'd pick OU to run away with the conference but after that i'm thinking more of a jumble.

ISU had a 6 1 score games which suggests they weren't that far ahead of the competition. Really the 2nd loss to OU was their most impressive to me as they fought back against a much more talented team. Iowa will be a good test early and is the best team the big12 plays out of conference. OU only has Nebraska and Texas obviously has a good UL team along with Arky but those aren't killers.

apl817

Jul 27, 2020
I don't really buy Baylor or TCU. My tiers are more like this (in no particular order within tier):

OU

Iowa State

Texas
Oklahoma State
TCU
Kansas State

West Virginia
Baylor

Texas Tech
Kansas

hornin hk

Member Who Talks
Sep 20, 2013
I know it’s early but it will be odd watching a game and expecting to have an advantage in scheme on both offense and defense at the same time.