Chandler Morris, Big 12 transfers, OU, and TCU

josephcook

Inside Texas Writer
Staff member
Feb 11, 2013
Austin
Chandler Morris had a heck of a freshman season at Oklahoma. Even with Spencer Rattler as the obvious QB1, Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley found opportunities for Morris to see playing time. He played in five games, and even scored a rushing touchdown against Iowa State in the Big 12 Championship game.

Morris was a solid high school prospect in his own right. A four-star and Under Armour All-American, the son of former SMU and Arkansas head coach Chad Morris helped Highland Park High School to UIL 5A state championships in 2018 and 2019.

Still, with Rattler being the guy in Norman and the impending arrival of 2021’s top-rated quarterback in Caleb Williams, Morris sought another destination where he would have an opportunity toward seeing the field for more than spot snaps.

Morris entered the transfer portal on January 1 and announced his commitment to fellow Big 12 school TCU two days later. Though the job in Fort Worth is Max Duggan’s, the backup quarterback is always one play away and Morris wants to contend for that role just a few miles from his hometown.

Unfortunately for Morris, Riley and the Sooner program have not yet released him following his transfer.

"We don’t know yet on Chandler, it looks like rules are going to change here real quickly," TCU head coach Gary Patterson told TCU247’s Jeremy Clark. "He still hasn’t been released by Oklahoma.”

That didn’t sit well with Morris’ TCU teammates as well as others in the CFB ecosystem, who let their thoughts be known on social media with the #FreeCM4 hashtag.

OU’s refusal to release Morris for immediate eligibility raised eyebrows, considering much of the Sooners’ recent successes were achieved with transfer quarterbacks. Baker Mayfield transferred from Texas Tech. Kyler Murray transferred from Texas A&M. But both had to serve as scout team players for a year due to transfer rules. Jalen Hurts had immediate eligibility as a graduate transfer.

This isn’t the first time Oklahoma has dragged its feet on an intraconference transfer. It sought to block Austin Kendall from immediate eligibility at WVU in 2019, a position it eventually relented on. Morris was not a grad transfer, but the climate is far more lenient than even five years ago, much less two.

So what is Riley’s viewpoint on the matter?

An interesting position and one he can hold in the Big 12. No such rule that allows OU to block Morris exists in other conference, like the SEC. Here is the Big 12 rulebook on intraconference transfers.

1616609444003.png

Schools can relent and release outgoing transfers should they choose. Former Texas head coach Tom Herman did so in 2019 when John Bonney transferred to Texas Tech.

Bonney eventually started. Morris is likely contending to be the primary backup, should he be released.

Fingers may be quickly pointed at a coach who has succeeded off of three transfers, but Riley’s top charges were subject to the same rules as his outgoing transfers.

Loud voices on social media could but are unlikely to convince Riley to have a change of heart. And as mentioned, this doesn’t leave TCU in dire QB straits like they were in ahead of Duggan’s freshman season.

Morris’ story is another stop on the transfer saga that dominates much of the discussion about the sport.

Ian Boyd

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
More decisions should be taken out of the coach's hands, they aren't incentivized to act in a consistent or principled fashion on personnel.

TCU definitely wants this guy cleared for the fall. I think Duggan is primed for a breakout year but if not, or if he's hurt, Morris could be just the guy to unlock Quentin Johnston.

sonofaplum

Member Who Talks
Nov 20, 2016
For all his faults Herman didn't play these kinds of games, which I respect. It's chicken****, and it's exactly these kind of chicken**** power plays that lead to sweeping rule changes.

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
barkingcarnival.fantake.com
What about coaches? The money and career chasing in the coaching industry is what I think has precipitated and spurred on a lot of this.
Maybe so, but did Chandler lose his coach? And I worry about it becoming even more mercenary if coaches and leave and players follow... but that already happens...

hixgreen

Jan 8, 2021
I think that Riley is trying to stop or at least slow down an impending flood, that is, of athletes who want to transfer and enroll now.

cavesl

Member Who Talks
Jul 3, 2018
Ehh I’m okay with it. There were rumors of tampering. A lot of people knew he was going to tcu before he even talked to riley about entering portal.
Difference is OUs transfer besides Jalen had to set out a year.

josephcook

Inside Texas Writer
Staff member
Feb 11, 2013
Austin
Ehh I’m okay with it. There were rumors of tampering. A lot of people knew he was going to tcu before he even talked to riley about entering portal.
Difference is OUs transfer besides Jalen had to set out a year.
It’s only ironic at this point and not hypocritical. If it delved into column b there’d be a lot lot more blowback

JackWebb

Dec 3, 2012
What about coaches? The money and career chasing in the coaching industry is what I think has precipitated and spurred on a lot of this.
Coaches have salary offset, buyouts, and penalties for quitting, getting fired, being hired elsewhere, etc. Scholarship athlete's "salary" is their scholarship. Why shouldn't there be some kind of prohibition for some types of transfers?

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
Coaches have salary offset, buyouts, and penalties for quitting, getting fired, being hired elsewhere, etc. Scholarship athlete's "salary" is their scholarship. Why shouldn't there be some kind of prohibition for some types of transfers?
I think that's reasonable, my point is more that the culture of "looking out for no. 1" started with coaching.

Reactions: msflash

kevinbelt

Member Who Talks
Oct 15, 2020
I kind of remember the Big Ten had rules against intraconference transfers at one point. It's dumb, though. Let the kid play. A couple of questions though:

-If he withdraws from the university, wouldn't that end his scholarship?

-Even if it doesn't, what's the benefit to Oklahoma to keep a kid who has no intention of playing on scholarship? Why not take that scholarship and give it to someone who could actually contribute?

-Chad Morris could theoretically pay for his kid's tuition, right? Chandler Morris isn't some disadvantaged kid who can't afford college. Couldn't he go the PWO route?

Reactions: msflash

jlm7231

Sep 15, 2016
I support players having flexibility and getting the chance to chase their dream by transferring to a different school, and I do not like Lincoln and think it's a BS move for him not to release Morris. With that being said, if I am only concerned about the on-field success of Texas football, then I want as many restrictions in place as possible because I think they primarily benefit big schools like Texas, OU, Bama, Ohio State, etc. that can recruit a lot of quality players. Transfer restrictions limit the ability for good players that can't quite crack the starting lineup in Austin (but otherwise provide valuable depth) from transferring to other schools where they will start and improve the team. Aside from JUCO transfers, you rarely see a stud player from a smaller school decide to transfer into a bigger program where he will have significantly more competition. Shutting down the rational part of my brain and only thinking as a Texas fan, I am fine with transfer restrictions, but I know that is not the way things are headed, so it will be a moot point soon enough.

rkb1965

Dec 6, 2020
The kid should be free to transfer. He is not an employee. He is not on the payroll. Let him go.

drizzew

Jan 13, 2021
I kind of remember the Big Ten had rules against intraconference transfers at one point. It's dumb, though. Let the kid play. A couple of questions though:

-If he withdraws from the university, wouldn't that end his scholarship?

-Even if it doesn't, what's the benefit to Oklahoma to keep a kid who has no intention of playing on scholarship? Why not take that scholarship and give it to someone who could actually contribute?

-Chad Morris could theoretically pay for his kid's tuition, right? Chandler Morris isn't some disadvantaged kid who can't afford college. Couldn't he go the PWO route?
OU made a LOT of those same arguments when they fought to get Baker Mayfield eligible immediately.

Riley is as big a douche as Coach Bro.

_b ez_

Jan 31, 2018
I think he’s trying to slow down a flood of players out of Oklahoma. Doesn’t seem to have any problem welcoming them from other programs.
Your UT homer is showing. Riley's beef is specifically about in conference transfers being immediately eligible. The portal tracker on your board shows 14 players outgoing from the 2020 OU roster. 13 of which have left without a hitch, including fellow frosh blue chip Jaylin Conyers. Riley isn't trying to wage a hypocritical war on transfers like you're trying to insinuate. Your "whataboutism' is silly and has not merit or bearing on this situation; Mayfield had to sit a year. Murray was OOC AND still had to sit a year. Hurts was a grad transfer.

What Riley is trying to bring to light, without saying it out loud, is the very real issue of in conference teams recruiting depth from more talented rosters without any kind of road block. Don't fool yourselves into thinking that Patterson and Aranda aren't using back door channels to convince Card, or Hookfin, or Owens, or (insert blue chip player that hasn't broken through the starting lineup yet) to stay home and play immediately. If they remove the base restriction of having to sit out a year then there is nothing stopping interconference free agency every winter.

For the record, I'm not a fan of the block. It's not a good look publicly and it's a losing battle in the era of, necessary, player empowerment. Acting as if there is no reason for Riley's process, whether or not you disagree, though, is just not doing your due diligence. You being a local guy should know better.

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
Your UT homer is showing. Riley's beef is specifically about in conference transfers being immediately eligible. The portal tracker on your board shows 14 players outgoing from the 2020 OU roster. 13 of which have left without a hitch, including fellow frosh blue chip Jaylin Conyers. Riley isn't trying to wage a hypocritical war on transfers like you're trying to insinuate. Your "whataboutism' is silly and has not merit or bearing on this situation; Mayfield had to sit a year. Murray was OOC AND still had to sit a year. Hurts was a grad transfer.

What Riley is trying to bring to light, without saying it out loud, is the very real issue of in conference teams recruiting depth from more talented rosters without any kind of road block. Don't fool yourselves into thinking that Patterson and Aranda aren't using back door channels to convince Card, or Hookfin, or Owens, or (insert blue chip player that hasn't broken through the starting lineup yet) to stay home and play immediately. If they remove the base restriction of having to sit out a year then there is nothing stopping interconference free agency every winter.

For the record, I'm not a fan of the block. It's not a good look publicly and it's a losing battle in the era of, necessary, player empowerment. Acting as if there is no reason for Riley's process, whether or not you disagree, though, is just not doing your due diligence. You being a local guy should know better.
Who benefits and who loses from in-conference transfers?

OU loses because everyone else wants their players who are liable to transfer and OU doesn’t really want everyone else’s players who are liable to transfer.

This is about Riley wanting the best for OU, nothing more.

_b ez_

Jan 31, 2018

OU loses because everyone else wants their players who are liable to transfer and OU doesn’t really want everyone else’s players who are liable to transfer.

Sure. And water is wet.

Nobody makes a passion stance on a topic that isn't likely to benefit themselves. That doesn't mean that it is overtly self-fulfilling as it would also benefit UT. Sometimes it can be both benefiting to yourself and the greater sum as a whole.

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX

While I don't like what he's doing, Riley doesn't work for public opinion and tweeter/message boards folks. His job is to win at Oklahoma and he answers to that university and its fans and I don't see them losing any sleep over this.