China Trade deserves its own thread

HelmetBoy

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 31, 2009
True

Some are (the market based ones and the manufacturing data). Some are still quite green (consumer sentiment & spending, employment). Now a strong argument can be made that the consumer side of the equation is the "dumb money" that is the most lagging of the leading indicators. That said, yesterday's LEI Index was up half a point, highest level since July 2018. So the basket of indicators is actually still healthy despite being a mixed bag.
Consumer sentiment and employment are the trailing indicators. Business confidence and investment are the leading ones.

Corporate executives have no idea what American trade policy is going to be in any corner of the world and the increasing possibility of mutual tariff escalations globally have them paralyzed. If they commit to invest domestically or abroad they could have their markets cut out from under them and generate massive losses. This was the entire problem with the Obama economy except instead of trade uncertainty it was regulatory uncertainty.

When demand appears strong, this uncertainty causes companies to stop investing. When demand appears to be waning, it will cause them to start reducing capacity (i.e., lay-offs). This process is starting in pockets of the economy which institutional investors are already seeing in their portfolios.

Last edited:

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
Checking in on the trade war, which as promised has proved to be good and easy to win.

"Our Country has lost, stupidly, Trillions of Dollars with China over many years. They have stolen our Intellectual Property at a rate of Hundreds of Billions of Dollars a year, & they want to continue," Trump wrote. "I won’t let that happen! We don’t need China and, frankly, would be far better off without them."

He continued, "The vast amounts of money made and stolen by China from the United States, year after year, for decades, will and must STOP. Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China, including bringing your companies HOME and making your products in the USA. I will be responding to China’s Tariffs this afternoon. This is a GREAT opportunity for the United States."

J Galt

Feb 9, 2012
Lake Highlands, Dallas
....My only question is, who is our bigger enemy, Jay Powell or Chairman Xi?

Our Country has lost, stupidly, Trillions of Dollars with China over many years. They have stolen our Intellectual Property at a rate of Hundreds of Billions of Dollars a year, & they want to continue. I won’t let that happen! We don’t need China and, frankly, would be far....
....better off without them. The vast amounts of money made and stolen by China from the United States, year after year, for decades, will and must STOP. Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China, including bringing..
....your companies HOME and making your products in the USA. I will be responding to China’s Tariffs this afternoon. This is a GREAT opportunity for the United States.
Yeah, this is pretty dumb.

Reactions: TexasPalladin

J Galt

Feb 9, 2012
Lake Highlands, Dallas
Consumer sentiment and employment are the trailing indicators.
No, they are most definitely leading indicators. Just probably not the vanguard of the LEI

The ten components of The Conference Board Leading Economic Index® for the U.S. include:

1. Average weekly hours, manufacturing

2. Average weekly initial claims for unemployment insurance

3. Manufacturers’ new orders, consumer goods and materials

4. ISM® Index of New Orders

5. Manufacturers' new orders, nondefense capital goods excluding aircraft orders

6. Building permits, new private housing units

7. Stock prices, 500 common stocks

8. Leading Credit Index™

9. Interest rate spread, 10-year Treasury bonds less federal funds

10. Average consumer expectations for business conditions

J Galt

Feb 9, 2012
Lake Highlands, Dallas
Corporate executives have no idea what American trade policy is going to be in any corner of the world and the increasing possibility of mutual tariff escalations globally have them paralyzed. If they commit to invest domestically or abroad they could have their markets cut out from under them and generate massive losses. This was the entire problem with the Obama economy except instead of trade uncertainty it was regulatory uncertainty.

When demand appears strong, this uncertainty causes companies to stop investing. When demand appears to be waning, it will cause them to start reducing capacity (i.e., lay-offs). This process is starting in pockets of the economy which institutional investors are already seeing in their portfolios.
Yes, this addendum is the crux of the issue. Which is why his complaining about Powell is so ludicrous. No C-suite exec is going to look at this environment and say, "if Fed funds were just 50 bps lower, I'd build that factory, hire 50,000 people and ramp up inventory."

Last edited:

HelmetBoy

Dec 31, 2009
Yes, this addendum is the crux of the issue. Which is why his complaining about Powell is so ludicrous. No C-suite exec is going to look at this environment and say, "if Fed funds were just 50 bps lower, I'd build that factory and hire 50,000 people."
The other reason his publicly attacking/lobbying Powell is so idiotic is that it makes it ***more difficult for the Fed to do what he wants then to do***. If the market believes the Fed is under the thumb of the WH and no longer an independent arbiter responding to economic data to it’s all over. The market will go haywire and stop responding to Fed moves in an orderly and predictable way.

This is real banana republic ****.

J Galt

Feb 9, 2012
Lake Highlands, Dallas
The other reason his publicly attacking/lobbying Powell is so idiotic is that it makes it ***more difficult for the Fed to do what he wants then to do***. If the market believes the Fed is under the thumb of the WH and no longer an independent arbiter responding to economic data to it’s all over. The market will go haywire and stop responding to Fed moves in an orderly and predictable way.

This is real banana republic ****.
That's been the issue for a couple years now. However, I'm starting to think Powell has been so castigated that, in an odd way, it frees him up to do what he thinks is best. Hell, even if he cuts 50 in September, Trump will cry foul that it should have been 100.

kennoisewater

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2018
Checking in on the trade war, which as promised has proved to be good and easy to win.

"Our Country has lost, stupidly, Trillions of Dollars with China over many years. They have stolen our Intellectual Property at a rate of Hundreds of Billions of Dollars a year, & they want to continue," Trump wrote. "I won’t let that happen! We don’t need China and, frankly, would be far better off without them."

He continued, "The vast amounts of money made and stolen by China from the United States, year after year, for decades, will and must STOP. Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China, including bringing your companies HOME and making your products in the USA. I will be responding to China’s Tariffs this afternoon. This is a GREAT opportunity for the United States."
There is absolutely no limit to the level of embarrassment this man brings to our country on a daily basis. After reading yesterday about his struggles reading from a teleprompter and then viewing his tweets today I am very concerned about the possibility of Alzheimer’s or dementia. Healthy people of sound mind simply do not communicate the way President Trump does.

Iz of Texas

Mar 26, 2012
Austin
There is absolutely no limit to the level of embarrassment this man brings to our country on a daily basis. After reading yesterday about his struggles reading from a teleprompter and then viewing his tweets today I am very concerned about the possibility of Alzheimer’s or dementia. Healthy people of sound mind simply do not communicate the way President Trump does.
Ehh, I don't pay attention to Trump, but do you spend any time on social media? This is literally how most people communicate on that medium. it's the downfall of society.

We've progressed from Publius and Silence Dogood to 140 characters

kennoisewater

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2018
Ehh, I don't pay attention to Trump
This is a huge problem. We have normalized his behavior and decided that it’s not relevant to the job. I simply cannot fathom that reaction. At some point in the next election or two we are going to get stuck with a democrat President. If he acts as obnoxious and reckless as Donald Trump we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Iz of Texas

Mar 26, 2012
Austin
This is a huge problem. We have normalized his behavior and decided that it’s not relevant to the job. I simply cannot fathom that reaction. At some point in the next election or two we are going to get stuck with a democrat President. If he acts as obnoxious and reckless as Donald Trump we have no one to blame but ourselves.
Who is "we"?

And I should clarify. I don't pay attention to Trump on Twitter, specifically.

Reactions: scout3dave

TEXBTP

Oct 29, 2008
POTUS sounds dumb but its a clear signal that American companies need to start divesting from China. In case they couldn't figure that out over the past 15 months. I'll give POTUS a pass on this one.

The fighting with the fed is just red meat for the red hats, who hate the Fed, and for some reason still scream for the Fed to be audited even though OIG inspects and audits the fed every year. I don't give him a pass on this. I hate how he is always attacking American institutions.

scott_tiger

Aug 11, 2012
Starting to get a Hoover/Trump FDR/ Elizabeth Warren vibe here
We’ll be living on ketchup soup and mounds of government soybeans

Reactions: windycityhorn

kennoisewater

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2018
I’m starting to lead more to the idea he really doesn’t wanna win re-election.
That's a disturbing thought but not out of the realm of possibility in 2019. What if President Trump has been behaving so obnoxiously since 2016 for the specific purpose of NOT being elected, but in the Idiocracy culture of today, it only makes him more popular. I can see it...

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Trump wants to win. This IS Trump. It's the way he thinks; it's his personality.

This is a spoiled star who has been catered to and deferred to his entire life. When he acts like this, his friends at Fox kiss the ring (and his ass). His people at rallies go crazy with it. He believes this is the way he should be acting.

Reactions: kennoisewater

futures2015

May 2, 2015
Trump wants to win. This IS Trump. It's the way he thinks; it's his personality.

This is a spoiled star who has been catered to and deferred to his entire life. When he acts like this, his friends at Fox kiss the ring (and his ass). His people at rallies go crazy with it. He believes this is the way he should be acting.

• Haha
Reactions: TexasPalladin

scout3dave

Oct 29, 2008
After giving the actions of the day some thought, I would be very nervous if I was a H-K protester. This has the makings of quite a diversion by the Chinese government. The retaliatory tariffs they announced were out of the blue given that Trump delayed his tariffs and announced there would be trade meetings next month. The reaction by Trump had to be known so there must be some reason they did what they did.

This is not to excuse Trump's schizo actions, I just think the Chinese think a few steps ahead.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
What of that is incorrect, futures? He's not a spoiled star that's been catered to for decades? He doesn't love his people at Fox, and he doesn't eat the cheering crowds up at his rallies?

HelmetBoy

Dec 31, 2009
Easy read to me.

The Chinese saw Trump’s delay as a sign of weakness and chose this is their moment to really stick it to Trump and force him to choose between two bad options, which both ultimately accrue to their benefit:

1) force Trump to capitulate to a deal on favorable terms, or more likely,

2) dupe him into continuing escalation ahead of the Christmas shopping season (a revealed weakness), force the recession and doom his re-election. Unwind all this **** quickly with a Democratic successor.

This move was calculated to be as provocative to Trump as possible. There was no chance in hell they didn’t see an escalation by Trump as the most likely outcome.

Hitting the US with tariffs was a direct challenge to his ego and political persona as being “tough on China”. Trump is the easiest read at the poker table. He just got Sonny Corleone’d.

Iz of Texas

Mar 26, 2012
Austin
Easy read to me.

The Chinese saw Trump’s delay as a sign of weakness and chose this is their moment to really stick it to Trump and force him to choose between two bad options, which both ultimately accrue to their benefit:

1) force Trump to capitulate to a deal on favorable terms, or more likely,

2) dupe him into continuing escalation ahead of the Christmas shopping season (a revealed weakness), force the recession and doom his re-election. Unwind all this **** quickly with a Democratic successor.

This move was calculated to be as provocative to Trump as possible. There was no chance in hell they didn’t see an escalation by Trump as the most likely outcome.

Hitting the US with tariffs was a direct challenge to his ego and political persona as being “tough on China”. Trump is the easiest read at the poker table. He just got Sonny Corleone’d.
China was Barzini all along...not that pimp, Tataglia.