Damien Martinez: Too Good to Ignore

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
For the longest, Lewisville running back Damien Martinez wondered why he wasn't getting more college attention despite strong early numbers. Not aloud, but to himself. As one of the leaders of the program, he knows the team's success is the most important factor.

During the 2020 campaign, while Martinez was notching a 2,000-yard season for the Farmers, schools started taking notice of the 6-foot, 225-pound tailback. Georgia Tech, Kansas, and San Diego State came correct with verbal invitations.

Not bad for the three-star who tallied 2,010 yards and 30 touchdowns on the ground, while adding 121 yards and one score on 17 catches his junior year.

Even after garnering 6-6A Offensive Newcomer of the Year in 2019, and 6-6A Co-Offensive Player of the year in 2020, the district honors don't distract him. Only getting better is his focus.

"My speed, my quick-cuts, and getting through the hole," said Martinez, about things he'd like to improve on this off-season. "Just faster and more explosive."

He doesn't run track, but he practices with the track and field team. Anything to get an advantage on the competition. Georgia Tech has noticed.

Running backs coach Tashard Choice is a big fan of Martinez, who says he's building a great relationship with the former G-Tech tailback.

"Coach Choice wants to help me improve my game, and watch film with me," Martinez said about the Yellowjackets' recruiting pitch. "I've looked at Georgia Tech a lot for academics too. It's a great school and looks like it would be a good fit for me."

Martinez doesn't have a timeline on making a decision, but it's safe to say Georgia Tech is setting the pace. If Martinez approaches another 2,000-yard campaign in 2021, he won't be wondering why schools don't reach out more. He'll have plenty of attention by then.

Check the tape. http://www.hudl.com/v/2EqPXa

stovie

Nov 18, 2020
Pearland
Justin would you consider him a prospect for a big back compliment for Blue? Wondering where he would fall in the pecking order in 2022. Thanks.

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
Justin would you consider him a prospect for a big back compliment for Blue? Wondering where he would fall in the pecking order in 2022. Thanks.
I think he’s the type of kid that could fit most schemes, probably a 2nd tier type, in terms of prospects in-state.

He deserves more P5 love, but Texas wants others for the other RB spot, as of today.

Reactions: stovie

stovie

Nov 18, 2020
Pearland
I think he’s the type of kid that could fit most schemes, probably a 2nd tier type, in terms of prospects in-state.

He deserves more P5 love, but Texas wants others for the other RB spot, as of today.
Thanks. I learn a lot from you guys. I'm happy I subscribed.

Reactions: wabash

stevehorn

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
With all the recent write-ups on Lewisville D1 prospects, I wonder how Arlington Martin beat them 68-0 in the playoffs this year.