DHS to Move Biometric Data on Hundreds of Millions of People to Amazon Cloud

futures2015

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
May 2, 2015
DHS to Move Biometric Data on Hundreds of Millions of People to Amazon Cloud

Amazon Web Services’ GovCloud US-East and US-West regions are data centers specifically built by the company to house some of the government’s most restricted information. AWS is no stranger to hosting sensitive government data, having already claimed the CIA, Defense Department, NASA and other federal agencies as customers in part because of perceived security improvements over government legacy systems.
While I'm a little unsettled that highly sensitive government data is being hosted by a commercial enterprise, I have much greater confidence that the data will be managed/secured much more efficiently than big gov ever could.

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas

futures2015

May 2, 2015
Especially since Amazon already knows more about me than I do.
No kidding ... I've been wondering if my Amazon Prime membership will now lead to any new government benefits?

I think Amazon managing their data with state-of-the-art technology will doubtlessly make DHS more efficient.

I'm trying to decide if a more efficient DHS is a good thing.

Last edited:

sonofaplum

Member Who Talks
Nov 20, 2016
Just to be clear, Amazon won't have access to any of the DHS data, and DHS isn't getting access to Amazon internal high tech tools. Basically instead of the systems being run on 1000s of computers in a highly secured government data center in west virginia, they will be run on 1000s of computers in a highly secured amazon data center, probably still in West Virginia. If their systems were running on MySQL before, they'll run on MySQL after. The real advantage toward moving onto the cloud, is it can increase the speed of development because amazon has good powerful tooling around adding new computers or software into your system. So if you have to build a new application or set up a system for a compute heavy workload (like reading all our email meta data) you can do that with a few clicks on a dashboard (or a few lines in script) rather than having to call, or email, or fill out a form, to the guy who runs the data center and asking him to provision what you need.

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
Just to be clear, Amazon won't have access to any of the DHS data, and DHS isn't getting access to Amazon internal high tech tools. Basically instead of the systems being run on 1000s of computers in a highly secured government data center in west virginia, they will be run on 1000s of computers in a highly secured amazon data center, probably still in West Virginia. If their systems were running on MySQL before, they'll run on MySQL after. The real advantage toward moving onto the cloud, is it can increase the speed of development because amazon has good powerful tooling around adding new computers or software into your system. So if you have to build a new application or set up a system for a compute heavy workload (like reading all our email meta data) you can do that with a few clicks on a dashboard (or a few lines in script) rather than having to call, or email, or fill out a form, to the guy who runs the data center and asking him to provision what you need.
I still don’t like it.

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
I have some concerns about the government having all this data on everyone, but there are two uses for it that most conservatives would be hypocritical to object to:
1) monitoring suspected terrorists. But where you draw the line between violation of our civil rights and the desire to have the government catchc cdomestic terrorists, ideally before they act. It's a tough question. You know if supercomputers are coming this website for possible problematic people, a zealous interpretation of some of our posts could bring a whole lot of us into "might be a problem" category.

2) Y'all say you want to catch Visa overstays. This could be a useful tool for finding and identifying some of them. Again though, at what cost to our liberty? None, some, a good deal?

I would tend to err on the side of liberty over security, but as I've mentioned before, I'm not highly risk-averse, so I'm willing to take some risk to my security in return for less "Big Brother". Lot's of people evidently are willing to give up some extent of freedom and liberty to be more secure. Not much I can do about it. I'd like to maintain some privacy, but like I say the amount of data Amazon and Google have on me someone like me has to be enormous if they want to grab it. And believe they do. I avoid social media in general, mainly because it's eiother boring, unpleasant or both, but this is certainly social media. They got me if they want me.

esskeetit

Member Who Talks
Jul 25, 2018
Make Texas Great Again
You know what's F-ed up about this is?

Walmart won't even do business (integrated ecomm/IT, etc.) with anyone on AWS. They put it in their contracts. But the government is. Wow.

What the government should do (because this gives AWS way too much power) is have AWS set up clones of their server farms with the latest technology (and contracts on software/hardware updates/etc.) for the government to protect and manage. This would prevent any breach of privacy from Amazon.

You know, when Alexa makes her first move to take over the world?

Reactions: eodhorn

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
barkingcarnival.fantake.com
Reactions: TexasPalladin