Elite 2022 defensive end Ernest Cooper talks recruiting

Eric Nahlin

Humble Scribe
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
One of our favorite prospects on tape in the 2022 cycle is Ernest Cooper from Arlington Martin. You can see shades of Solomon Thomas or Vernon Broughton in his game. A defensive end who is versatile enough for either an odd or even front, Cooper also projects to swinging inside on obvious passing downs.

Like Thomas and Broughton, he’s also of high character; he puts the student in student-athlete.

Inside Texas: What are you looking for in a college and what schools have you been in talking to?

Ernest Cooper: “I’m looking for a phenomenal education. During spring break, right before all this Covid action happened, I went up to Stanford and talked to Coach Bobby Kennedy — I think he works with the wide receivers. I met the head coach. I saw that they canceled their season, I was kind of upset about it. I’ve mostly been hanging around Stanford. I’ve also been talking to Notre Dame, Oregon, Ohio State, and also some close schools like TCU and Oklahoma and whatnot.”

IT: Who do you talk to at Notre Dame?

EC: “I talk to Mike Alston, and also the assistant defensive line coach.“

IT: Does UT or A&M factor in at all?

EC: “I love Coach OG, Oscar Giles. That’s my man. He always wants me to call him every day. But also I talked to Coach Fisher recently at A&M. They put me on a virtual meeting. I got to see the campus, how they do it there, how they work out. Coach Price is definitely a go-getter coach and he wants to hit it running right now.”

IT: Without putting words in your mouth, it sounds like Stanford has a good lead. If that’s the school you like, what would have to happen for another school to be the pick?

EC: ”It would have to a change in coaching staff; have to be a change in staff. But coaches move around like hot cakes. So, right around this period I’m just trying to establish connections. Because the coaches I’m talking to at Texas, he could be at Stanford in a year or two. He can be at Stanford the next day. As long as I’m keeping connections, I’m just trying to make sure I have a backup plan. Most of the time life isn’t going to go the way you planned it to be.”

IT: It seems like you have a plan, do you know what you want to study?

EC: ”More than likely in the biology field, maybe a biochemist. But I really want to work with reptiles so maybe like a herpetologist.”

IT: If a concern of yours is coaching staff turnover, does that mean you’re going to take your time with making a decision?

EC: ”More than likely, no need to rush. I still have two more years. I’m still scoping things out and I’m still trying to make my connections, especially with my position coaches.”

Cooper is a native of Dallas-Fort Worth. His mother went to Dallas Skyline while his father is from Atlanta. They met at Grambling University.

The industry has him as a composite .9557 and the #18 player in the state, but we feel he’s a top-five instate talent and worthy of five-star consideration thanks to his exceedingly high floor.

Gerry Hamilton

ESPN Recruiting Analyst
Staff member
Sep 23, 2009
One of our favorite prospects on tape in the 2022 cycle is Ernest Cooper from Arlington Martin. You can see shades of Solomon Thomas or Vernon Broughton in his game. A defensive end who is versatile enough for either an odd or even front, Cooper also projects to swinging inside on obvious passing downs.

Like Thomas and Broughton, he’s also of high character; he puts the student in student-athlete.

Inside Texas: What are you looking for in a college and what schools have you been in talking to?

Ernest Cooper: “I’m looking for a phenomenal education. During spring break, right before all this Covid action happened, I went up to Stanford and talked to Coach Bobby Kennedy — I think he works with the wide receivers. I met the head coach. I saw that they canceled their season, I was kind of upset about it. I’ve mostly been hanging around Stanford. I’ve also been talking to Notre Dame, Oregon, Ohio State, and also some close schools like TCU and Oklahoma and whatnot.”

IT: Who do you talk to at Notre Dame?

EC: “I talk to Mike Alston, and also the assistant defensive line coach.“

IT: Does UT or A&M factor in at all?

EC: “I love Coach OG, Oscar Giles. That’s my man. He always wants me to call him every day. But also I talked to Coach Fisher recently at A&M. They put me on a virtual meeting. I got to see the campus, how they do it there, how they work out. Coach Price is definitely a go-getter coach and he wants to hit it running right now.”

IT: Without putting words in your mouth, it sounds like Stanford has a good lead. If that’s the school you like, what would have to happen for another school to be the pick?

EC: ”It would have to a change in coaching staff; have to be a change in staff. But coaches move around like hot cakes. So, right around this period I’m just trying to establish connections. Because the coaches I’m talking to at Texas, he could be at Stanford in a year or two. He can be at Stanford the next day. As long as I’m keeping connections, I’m just trying to make sure I have a backup plan. Most of the time life isn’t going to go the way you planned it to be.”

IT: It seems like you have a plan, do you know what you want to study?

EC: ”More than likely in the biology field, maybe a biochemist. But I really want to work with reptiles so maybe like a herpetologist.”

IT: If a concern of yours is coaching staff turnover, does that mean you’re going to take your time with making a decision?

EC: ”More than likely, no need to rush. I still have two more years. I’m still scoping things out and I’m still trying to make my connections, especially with my position coaches.”

Cooper is a native of Dallas-Fort Worth. His mother went to Dallas Skyline while his father is from Atlanta. They met at Grambling University.

The industry has him as a composite .9557 and the #18 player in the state, but we feel he’s a top-five instate talent and worthy of five-star consideration thanks to his exceedingly high floor.
Eric and I are in complete agreement here. This kid is a sure fire type unless major injury. Physically, he hasn't even scratched the surface yet. Terrific effort player. After two hours on the field, he was the lone player that stayed behind to get extra running in ... in a 100+ heat index. He's a dialed in person.

Bwub60

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Jun 27, 2012
Beaumont, Tx
Eric and I are in complete agreement here. This kid is a sure fire type unless major injury. Physically, he hasn't even scratched the surface yet. Terrific effort player. After two hours on the field, he was the lone player that stayed behind to get extra running in ... in a 100+ heat index. He's a dialed in person.
Probably locker number 1 at Martin.