Eric and Justin Recruiting Q&A 9am

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
Eazy and myself will be taking questions all day today.

Bring your recruiting questions and hang out with us.

Let's rock.

image.jpg

Reactions: junglerules

Boxley

Member Who Talks
Nov 14, 2013
What in the world can Charlie be telling recruits right now, as his future hangs in the balance?

Reactions: J Galt

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Obviously recruiting for Texas is in a holding pattern with so many chainsaws in the air, but trends throughout the state and Big 12 and SEC will play into UT recruiting once we have more clarity with UT.

Reactions: DMV Horn and bHero

thenapes

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
May 25, 2010
Tomball, Texas
I was wondering if you had heard much about Ean Beek the junior RB at Katy Taylor. He's having a pretty good year he's pretty much the workhorse for the taylor offense. Not the size some coaches like at about 5'8", 175, but I imagine he will play somewhere. Thanks for any info you have on him.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
What in the world can Charlie be telling recruits right now, as his future hangs in the balance?
Previously it was to trust him to fix the program, now it's trust him to fix the defense, with the offense on the right path. If he fixes the defense Texas likely wins enough to save his job. If he can get to 8-4 Texas will have met expectations and won 5 of 6.

Horn18

Mar 22, 2012
How many free questions do we get? I've got two - let's call it one per full calendar year I've been a sub.

What's the latest on Jalen Reagor? What about Chuck Filiaga?

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
Ok. I'll go. Hines not taking OV to Texas? Good, bad or indifferent?
Indifferent. With Hines, we won't know anything until closer to his EE date. Lucky for Texas, it's October.

With Hines, I believe whoever pursues the longest we'll win.

stoneheart

Nov 1, 2008
Please talk about the programs that usually have to settle for the diamonds in the rough in the state of Texas. OSU, K-State, Houston. Which of them are poised for a good class in 2016?

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
How many free questions do we get? I've got two - let's call it one per full calendar year I've been a sub.

On Reagor: This story continues to build up to a fun NSD. I talked to Jalen this week.

He said despite taking all the OU commit info off of his social media bio, he's still a Sooner. He did say that he took it down because he didn't want any schools - including OU - to see his hand. Kinda brilliant.

He's totally focused on his team and the playoffs (6-1 right now) at the moment. To the point, he barely talks to any colleges right now.

I can see him focusing on recruiting as soon as his senior year ends. Him and his dad (Montae) have been a pleasure getting to know.

I could see OU. I could see TCU. And I could see Texas. Buckle up.

On Filiaga: He's a priority for Texas right now and the staff likes where they stand with him. Think it's a two-horse race at the moment between Texas and TCU, with UT perhaps having a slight lead.

My man @josephcook visited with the Aledo 4-star a few weeks back. He can add a little insight.

Boxley

Member Who Talks
Nov 14, 2013
Previously it was to trust him to fix the program, now it's trust him to fix the defense, with the offense on the right path. If he fixes the defense Texas likely wins enough to save his job. If he can get to 8-4 Texas will have met expectations and won 5 of 6.
I suppose that is about as much as he can say. I'm trying to envision what the rumor mill will be like, from Nov. 15 on, should the Horns lose several more. It is hard to imagine that some things that are happening behind the scenes won't start to leak out. Thoughts? (This question fits under "coach recruiting")

Reactions: Sneezybeltran

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
I was wondering if you had heard much about Ean Beek the junior RB at Katy Taylor. He's having a pretty good year he's pretty much the workhorse for the taylor offense. Not the size some coaches like at about 5'8", 175, but I imagine he will play somewhere. Thanks for any info you have on him.
Saw your PM but haven't checked him until now. He might be FBS but more likely FCS based on the limited film I watched. You want to see more burst and raw speed out of that size.

Reactions: thenapes

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
Please talk about the programs that usually have to settle for the diamonds in the rough in the state of Texas. OSU, K-State, Houston. Which of them are poised for a good class in 2016?
Houston is bringing in some definite talent. They already have 20 for 2017.

Guys like Sanogo, Davis, Petry, an Bardwell are very good football players. Then snagging Greg Ward 2.0 - Bryson Smith - from John Tyler was a coup.

You can add Colorado to that list of programs too. Just snagged the Desoto duo, Xavier Newman and KD Nixon.

Reactions: navysubcdrret

josephcook

Inside Texas Writer
Staff member
Feb 11, 2013
Austin
What about Chuck Filiaga?
I'll help out here since I just went and saw him.

Filiaga was at ND and loved it. He also likes Mattox, but at the same time he is a national recruit. He's got a lot of big schools on him. E, I believe, has said he could see Filiaga play guard or tackle at the next level. He told me Mattox talks to him about tackle. TCU is on him, and he also took visits to Ole Miss and Michigan. Another case of wait and see. He will too, he's committing in January at the Army Bowl.

Speaking of the Army Bowl, Texas (the state) will be represented well. Robert Barnes, Eno Benjamin, Baron Browning, Filiaga, Walker Little, Omar Manning, Jeff Okudah, and Shawn Robinson. Lots of studs on both teams: http://www.usarmyallamericanbowl.com/2017-roster/

Sneezybeltran

Dec 4, 2013
Who's the most important recruit on offense and defense from a needs/skillset standpoint?

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden

Reagor is OU/TCU/UT. Right now I'd probably peg TCU the favorite despite his OU commitment.

Filiaga's tough to read. Here's what Joe wrote a little over a week ago.

When a family packs up and moves from one state to another, major adjustments to family life must me made. New friendships are established, new work and school lives are adjusted to, and new surroundings are learned.

Aledo 4-star offensive tackle Chuck Filiaga had to make one of these major changes this past offseason when his family moved from Murrieta, CA (just off the 15) to Aledo, Texas (just off IH-20). One of his big adjustments was to something Texas high school football players are all too familiar with.

"The weather out there was usually like this," Filiaga said following an easy 69-0 win over Azle on a crisp, clear evening. "That heat definitely took some getting used to."

Since Filiaga was able to play in more familiar weather this past Friday, he dominated the left side of the field. Filiaga was a mobile brick wall on the left side of the line, blocking his undersized opponent out of the play over and over. Early in the game, Filiaga had to leave for a play after taking a shot in an uncomfortable area. The one play he was out, the Bearcat quarterback was sacked. For the rest of the game, which for the Aledo starters was the remainder of the first half, Filiaga kept his QB's jersey clean.

Filiaga, who is listed at 6-foot-6, 335 pounds, is of Samoan descent and close to his family. Following the game, a group of close family and other relatives were there to congratulate him. Additionally, an assistant from Nebraska was there to congratulate him after seeing him play.

Filiaga has taken several visits over the past few months, including officials to Michigan and Oregon, and unofficials to Ole Miss, Texas A&M and Texas. Regarding his Ole Miss visit, Filiaga talked about the family atmosphere that Hugh Freeze provides in Oxford. Regarding his Michigan visit, Filiaga said he really enjoyed his time with Wolverine head coach Jim Harbaugh.

Filiaga's unofficial visit to Texas was during the Notre Dame game. While the impact of the win for the Horns has been greatly muted, the atmosphere still stood out to Filiaga. In addition, he also said that offensive line coach Matt Mattox regularly keeps up with Filiaga and discusses his future playing tackle. Inside Texas has felt that Filiaga has the capability to play multiple positions on the offensive line, including both guard and tackle.

When asked about Charlie Strong, Filiaga's demeanor noticeably changed. He relayed a respect and liking of Strong when he spoke with Inside Texas. The Army All-American reportedly has a decision date set for Jan. 7, 2017, which would be during the Army Bowl game in San Antonio.

As far as future visits, Filiaga said he plans to take a visit to Lincoln to see the Cornhuskers sometime soon, but that details have not been finalized yet. Filiaga has yet to use three of his official visits and has offers from 11 of the PAC 12, as well as TCU, Baylor, and OU.​

northhorn

Jan 24, 2012
Who is the best "small school" recruit in the state?

3A and below....

Paul at Bremond?

btown1110

Jan 23, 2012
How are things with Dobbins? Any chance we circle back to Brooks or Benjamin? Feels like we are going to need to grab 2 this year.

Doc Longhorn

Oct 29, 2008
Houston, Texas
Eric has continued to express overwhelming confidence that Dobbins comes to Texas. Considering Dobbins has already committed to tOSU, his confidence has to mean he was told something - although Eric has never said as much. What has tOSU had to say about the flip rumor - if anything?

What has he been told and did it come from Dobbins?

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
How are things with Dobbins? Any chance we circle back to Brooks or Benjamin? Feels like we are going to need to grab 2 this year.
I hear good things with Texas. But Eric will know more on this.

Think Texas still takes only RB in 2017 and I think they really just want JK.

I'm a big fan of Kennedy Brooks. I just don't think Texas is.

Same for Eno.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Oklahoma State isn't recruiting as well as it has in the past.

http://insidetexas.com/forums/threads/a-look-at-ok-st-s-recent-history-of-recruiting-texas.69877/

K-State is doing what it does. Finding lesser known Kansas talent. They only have one Texas currently, but they really pour over Texas senior film and then start offering more later in the process. They're always looking for sleepers here.

Houston has a fantastic class by their standards. They have a QB, some corners, some OL, and a WR who could play at Texas and they have Big 12 quality across the board.

TCU always finds some sleepers and has a couple I like in APB Kenedy Snell and ATH Trestan Ebner. They're taking a very small class this season, however.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
I suppose that is about as much as he can say. I'm trying to envision what the rumor mill will be like, from Nov. 15 on, should the Horns lose several more. It is hard to imagine that some things that are happening behind the scenes won't start to leak out. Thoughts? (This question fits under "coach recruiting")
If Texas losses several more then the worst kept secret will be his job security.

Schools have been negative recruiting Strong since he arrived at Texas. That will only intensify.

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
Oklahoma State isn't recruiting as well as it has in the past.

http://insidetexas.com/forums/threads/a-look-at-ok-st-s-recent-history-of-recruiting-texas.69877/

K-State is doing what it does. Finding lesser known Kansas talent. They only have one Texas currently, but they really pour over Texas senior film and then start offering more later in the process. They're always looking for sleepers here.

Houston has a fantastic class by their standards. They have a QB, some corners, some OL, and a WR who could play at Texas and they have Big 12 quality across the board.

TCU always finds some sleepers and has a couple I like in APB Kenedy Snell and ATH Trestan Ebner. They're taking a very small class this season, however.
Ebner is awesome. Not sure why TCU wants him at CB. He's a Big 12 WR to me. Snell is quick as a cat when I watched Waxahachie dismantle Ennis.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Who's the most important recruit on offense and defense from a needs/skillset standpoint?
Texas doesn't have a lot of needs on offense, other than depth and you can never have enough play makers.

From a needs standpoint, probably JK Dobbins with D'Onta likely leaving early. Best overall offensive talent is Walker Little.

On defense, from a skill set perspective probably Hines as a true Mike. You could make a case for a fleet footed cornerback as well. Best overall defensive talent is Baron Browning.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Long way to go yet on flipping Dobbins and a short time to get there.

Brooks is solid with OU as Halas stated. Benjamin swears up and down he's solid with Iowa. I'm going to do a story on Iowa and their recruiting of Texas for this board and I'm going to feature him. Like I said, he says he's solid.

Last edited:

Horn18

Mar 22, 2012
Other than his committed school and Texas, are there any other schools in the mix for the recruit with my favorite name: JK?

gtxhorn

Member Who Talks
Oct 29, 2008
Galveston County
My son is currently in the 8th Grade, and he is a multisport athlete,(Above Average Football player, Excellent Basketball Player ,Above Average Track)He has a chance to be on JV both football and basketball as a freshman. HIS goal is to obtain a scholarship to continue playing sports in college. What steps should he take this summer as he enters into HS, to start getting looks? Is it more film, more camps a little bit of everything?

Reactions: DMV Horn