Eric and Justin Recruiting Q&A 9am

sandyg

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 7, 2015
Should a coaching change be necessary, and I hope not. How long before a new head coach is named is reasonable before it hurts signing a at least an ok class? Both in size and quality. Last year most coaching changes had been made by the 2nd or 3rd of December. When Michigan had to wait on Harbaugh forever due to length of the NFL season , they only signed 14. Maybe they were due to sign only a small class, that I don't know. Should I even be concerned about this?
I would appreciate your thoughts.

Reactions: kellenmo

Stackboy5

Member Who Talks
Oct 10, 2013
1) In the secondary, do you guys think its a Clay Jennings issue or does appear that Davis and Hill are just not working hard? It truly baffles me that those to guys who play 75% or more of the snaps at LC and RC are even on the field. If things are fixed could Vance be retained and Clay let go?

2) Where do you guys think Deandre Mcneal ends up? Saw on Twitter yesterday he was offered by Bowling Green.

3) Gimme a dark horse RB candidate we might see Texas go after.

Reactions: DMV Horn

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Other than his committed school and Texas, are there any other schools in the mix for the recruit with my favorite name: JK?
I think it's Ohio State or Texas, but he's had a long standing relationship with A&M RB coach Clarence McKinney and with the Ags actually running the ball and being a short drive from La Grange maybe they have a chance.

I can't see him flipping for somewhere far away. If he's taking a plane it's to Ohio.

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
As @btown1110 mentioned, it might be prudent to land a second RB in this class. Or even have a backup in case we can't land Dobbins. Foreman might be leaving early, Warren and Johnson will be coming off of serious injuries and there are questions about them; can Warren stick at RB and is Johnson an every down back? Houston might not be very good, so that leaves Porter. The position appears to have the potential to get thin. Also consider that Dobbins is also coming off of a serious injury.

Who could you see Texas taking? Any under the radar guys, or do we would focus on Davis, Carter or maybe Benjamin?

Reactions: JackWebb

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
My son is currently in the 8th Grade, and he is a multisport athlete,(Above Average Football player, Excellent Basketball Player ,Above Average Track)He has a chance to be on JV both football and basketball as a freshman. HIS goal is to obtain a scholarship to continue playing sports in college. What steps should he take this summer as he enters into HS, to start getting looks? Is it more film, more camps a little bit of everything?
As a freshman he just needs to assimilate to HS and enjoy the competition and keep working hard. Maybe in the summer heading into his sophomore year hit some of the college satellite camps that litter Houston. Sophomore film will be important as that will get you invited to school camps. By that time I'll have an idea of what you're working with (from a football standpoint) and we can go from there.

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
My son is currently in the 8th Grade, and he is a multisport athlete,(Above Average Football player, Excellent Basketball Player ,Above Average Track)He has a chance to be on JV both football and basketball as a freshman. HIS goal is to obtain a scholarship to continue playing sports in college. What steps should he take this summer as he enters into HS, to start getting looks? Is it more film, more camps a little bit of everything?
Start with camps. Find as many camps around your area as possible. Satellite as well. Find a summer basketball league. At least two games a week if possible.

If you have the means, look into personal training coaches for football. But anything that builds his strength, quickness, and stamina will be beneficial.

Film isn't important until he's on the varsity. College coaches don't watch JV film.

Also, make sure his grades are good. Talk to his counselor about making sure his course load and GPA are up to par.

Bruce

Jan 11, 2016
Clarksville
I understand the SEC pull on Texas kids but I will never understand the Big 10 pull. Any insight?

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
Who could you see Texas taking? Any under the radar guys, or do we would focus on Davis, Carter or maybe Benjamin?
Anthony Johnson loves Toneil Carter. I just don't think Carter loves Texas.

Halas

Nov 5, 2012
Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
Go to summer workouts. Be a good teammate and student. Put up good film when he plays. College coaches care more about that than how you perform at camps. Those settings are for verification of what was seen on film.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Should a coaching change be necessary, and I hope not. How long before a new head coach is named is reasonable before it hurts signing a at least an ok class? Both in size and quality. Last year most coaching changes had been made by the 2nd or 3rd of December. When Michigan had to wait on Harbaugh forever due to length of the NFL season , they only signed 14. Maybe they were due to sign only a small class, that I don't know. Should I even be concerned about this?
I would appreciate your thoughts.
UT's last regular season game is 11/25 so that makes for an early transition IF it gets to that. That would be a good thing with all the early enrollees. The new guy would need face time with the early enrollee prospects, the guys like Hines, Browning, JK, etc.

I wouldn't be concerned no, because we don't know if it will get to that, and Texas has an extra week to work with. Plus, as I've detailed, Fenves has his house in order. He'll have a plan.

Reactions: DMV Horn and sandyg

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
I understand the SEC pull on Texas kids but I will never understand the Big 10 pull. Any insight?
It's not really the conference as much as the recruiter.

Iowa, Nebraska, and Michigan do a tremendous job in Texas identifying kids that are willing to leave the state and recruiting the crap out of them.

Reactions: Bruce

gtxhorn

Member Who Talks
Oct 29, 2008
Galveston County
Start with camps. Find as many camps around your area as possible. Satellite as well. Find a summer basketball league. At least two games a week if possible.

If you have the means, look into personal training coaches for football. But anything that builds his strength, quickness, and stamina will be beneficial.

Film isn't important until he's on the varsity. College coaches don't watch JV film.

Also, make sure his grades are good. Talk to his counselor about making sure his course load and GPA are up to par.
thanks my man..

gtxhorn

Member Who Talks
Oct 29, 2008
Galveston County
As a freshman he just needs to assimilate to HS and enjoy the competition and keep working hard. Maybe in the summer heading into his sophomore year hit some of the college satellite camps that litter Houston. Sophomore film will be important as that will get you invited to school camps. By that time I'll have an idea of what you're working with (from a football standpoint) and we can go from there.
thanks sir..

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
Aside from what others have posted, I'd advise him to keep playing multiple sports. I think it's good to keep the competitive juices flowing year round. Also I think playing multiple sports helps an athlete with his overall athleticism and hand-eye coordination. It also keeps the athlete from being burnt out on a particular sport.

So basically keep playing year round sports, do the off season team training (including the school's summer S&C program), do extra training on the side (specialized workouts with a trainer, extra weight lifting, whatever) and play other sports when he has free time.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
1) In the secondary, do you guys think its a Clay Jennings issue or does appear that Davis and Hill are just not working hard? It truly baffles me that those to guys who play 75% or more of the snaps at LC and RC are even on the field. If things are fixed could Vance be retained and Clay let go?

2) Where do you guys think Deandre Mcneal ends up? Saw on Twitter yesterday he was offered by Bowling Green.

3) Gimme a dark horse RB candidate we might see Texas go after.
There's definitely something going on with corners. Davante Davis is a hard worker so that's not the issue with him. I could see Vance being retained as DB coach (like he was for Strong at Florida).

Texas finally gave him his "clearance" papers so he'll likely get more looks than Bowling Green. No idea where he ends up but I'd love to see him at slot in an Air Raid system like at BG.

Maybe Kaegun Williams from Cedar Hill. He'd fit as an approximation of Dobbins.

Reactions: Stackboy5

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
Aside from what others have posted, I'd advise him to keep playing multiple sports. I think it's good to keep the competitive juices flowing year round. Also I think playing multiple sports helps an athlete with his overall athleticism and hand-eye coordination. It also keeps the athlete from being burnt out on a particular sport.
Well said, Fuddy.

Reactions: DMV Horn and Halas

JJHookem4

Oct 29, 2008
Man is it hard trying to come up with a question right now....

With that said, Why do you think Tech has such a hard time finding defensive talent?

gtxhorn

Member Who Talks
Oct 29, 2008
Galveston County

So basically keep playing year round sports, do the off season team training (including the school's summer S&C program), do extra training on the side (specialized workouts with a trainer, extra weight lifting, whatever) and play other sports when he has free time.
thank you guys for the advice,

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
As @btown1110 mentioned, it might be prudent to land a second RB in this class. Or even have a backup in case we can't land Dobbins. Foreman might be leaving early, Warren and Johnson will be coming off of serious injuries and there are questions about them; can Warren stick at RB and is Johnson an every down back? Houston might not be very good, so that leaves Porter. The position appears to have the potential to get thin. Also consider that Dobbins is also coming off of a serious injury.

Warren is only a RB. Warren is only a RB. Warren is only a RB. Warren is only a RB.

We don't know enough on Kirk Johnson to make any determination on what he is.

Eno would be the guy I go all in for. Kaegun Williams could fit the JK role.

I haven't seen any RB's who really impress beyond the ones mentioned. The 2017 RB class started out hot with Dobbins, Benjamin, Carter, and Brooks, and then very few emerged.

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013

With that said, Why do you think Tech has such a hard time finding defensive talent?
Good question. Best guess: the last handful of coaches at Tech have been offensive-minded.

And it's Lubbock.

Reactions: JJHookem4

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden

Because they project for s*** and don't do a good enough job of recruiting Juco. With Kingsbury, I think his initial defensive staff was his homies rather than guys who can recruit HS and Juco.

They emphasize receiver too much when they should be looking for offensive guys who project to defense in college.

Reactions: JJHookem4

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Well, Ohio State and Michigan are as blue-blood as it gets.

Northwestern does well with the kids who prioritize academics.

Iowa's having a good recruiting year because of unique circumstances.

Reactions: Bruce

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
Warren is only a RB. Warren is only a RB. Warren is only a RB. Warren is only a RB.
Can you count on him to stay healthy though? He seems to have the Arian Foster/Ryan Mathews/Run DMC perpetual injury bug.

Reactions: JackWebb

josephcook

Inside Texas Writer
Staff member
Feb 11, 2013
Austin
Well, Ohio State and Michigan are as blue-blood as it gets.

Northwestern does well with the kids who prioritize academics.

Iowa's having a good recruiting year because of unique circumstances.
Funny what Rose Bowl appearances do that (and an energetic high school senior).

JJHookem4

Oct 29, 2008
How many can A&M realistically take this year? They are at 22 guys already.

Do you think the may get up to 28?

JJHookem4

Oct 29, 2008
I'm going to discuss their class in that thread Helmet Boy started.

It's the oddest damn thing I've seen in recruiting in quite some time.
Ok thanks....I got the same question in there to @Ghost

Mind boggling that Sumlin would fill up. He should be cashing in right now.

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
I'm going to discuss their class in that thread Helmet Boy started.

It's the oddest damn thing I've seen in recruiting in quite some time.
Right.

Loading up on bread, basically, before the season makes me think even Sumlin didn't anticipate a 6-0 start.

Reactions: ATX_Horn

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
Which Patriots wite receiver does Tyler Page remind you the most of?

Manhorn

Oct 29, 2008
Are there any Juco defensive players who could help stabilize the back 7, or do we have total faith in the development and improvement of the players on the roster?