Giving Up Darwin

Duke Silver

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
Renowned writer and Yale University professor David Gelernter has turned away from Charles Darwin's theory of evolution, arguing that it has too many holes and has aged out as a probable scientific theory. Seems like an @bHero type of discussion.

Let me guess. The answer is god! Get the **** outta here.

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
Renowned writer and Yale University professor David Gelernter has turned away from Charles Darwin's theory of evolution, arguing that it has too many holes and has aged out as a probable scientific theory. Seems like an @bHero type of discussion.

He’s right. Thanks for posting.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
I am more interested in his thoughts on why Darwinism fails. Intelligent Design isn't Creationism so the ideas aren't solely, God did it. Those who fall into the Darwinism camp try to push the, "it's creationism" label onto Intelligent Design. Ultimately you could have a debate on the merits of Darwinism, Intelligent Design and Creationism.

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
barkingcarnival.fantake.com

David Berlinski got old! I've been following him since he was an agnostic/atheist.
Stephen C Meyer is one of the progenitors to the resurgence of apologetics in the late 90's.

I don't know much about the computer science guy.

Very strong cast here. I haven't watched it yet, just firing it up.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
He based his thoughts on the theory of intelligent design. You do the math
Which is an idiotic “theory.” The guy is a computer scientist and religious Jew. He doesn’t know **** about evolutionary biology. I thought we all moved beyond this.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
I am more interested in his thoughts on why Darwinism fails. Intelligent Design isn't Creationism so the ideas aren't solely, God did it. Those who fall into the Darwinism camp try to push the, "it's creationism" label onto Intelligent Design. Ultimately you could have a debate on the merits of Darwinism, Intelligent Design and Creationism.
Yes, ID is just creationism light. Let’s have a debate about gravity, too.

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
Yes, ID is just creationism light. Let’s have a debate about gravity, too.
It's 2 different schools, where one won't just come out and say God did it, and the other will say God did it in 6 days.

I obviously generalizing.

The major difference emerges then in how they do their science and interpret published science. Both schools have really upped their rigor over the last 10 years.

Reactions: TexasPalladin

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
Which is an idiotic “theory.” The guy is a computer scientist and religious Jew. He doesn’t know **** about evolutionary biology. I thought we all moved beyond this.
There's a lot of ID people who believe in evolution. I wouldn't make an argument from authority until I knew what he was doing. He might just be modeling math evolutionary biologists published. I don't have a clue, just started watching, I'm curious.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
There's a lot of ID people who believe in evolution. I wouldn't make an argument from authority until I knew what he was doing. He might just be modeling math evolutionary biologists published. I don't have a clue, just started watching, I'm curious.
Well maybe the ID people can tell me why moles have eyes.

Reactions: fdub206

acreativeusername

Nov 27, 2016
Hour long video? Damn I’ll have to watch it tonight on 2x speed

Is he “giving up Darwin” as in saying evolution doesn’t happen, or that God had a hand in it? If it’s the latter, that’s basically just saying whether you’re religious or not, right? Seems like the ideas kinda coexist if evolution still happens in both scenarios. You’re just arguing the start was different, but the process becomes the same or similar

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
So far, nothing new. Cambrian explosion, still no answer, can't find a lot of required material.

Stephen Meyer looks like a Vulcan from Star Trek.

First 10 minutes was all table-setting. Nothing controversial or in doubt by anyone.

Reactions: 40A

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
So far, nothing new. Cambrian explosion, still no answer, can't find a lot of required material.

Stephen Meyer looks like a Vulcan from Star Trek.

First 10 minutes was all table-setting. Nothing controversial or in doubt by anyone.
What the **** is “the answer” to the Cambrian explosion? Just more god in the gaps nonsense.

40A

Feb 20, 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
Hour long video? Damn I’ll have to watch it tonight on 2x speed

Is he “giving up Darwin” as in saying evolution doesn’t happen, or that God had a hand in it? If it’s the latter, that’s basically just saying whether you’re religious or not, right? Seems like the ideas kinda coexist if evolution still happens in both scenarios. You’re just arguing the start was different, but the process becomes the same or similar
The Christian God and the theory of Evolution cannot co-exist.

HornsWin

Dec 13, 2013
The Christian God and the theory of Evolution cannot co-exist.
I agree with the first part, but kindly disagree with the second part.

Edit: sorry, I thought this would include that part where you point out that Duke's religious opinions are not to be seriously considered. That's the part I offer you a high five for.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Oh ****, I forgot about 40A. Should I just go ahead and delete the entire thread? This is heading sideways in a hurry.

40A

Feb 20, 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
I agree with the first part, but kindly disagree with the second part.

Edit: sorry, I thought this would include that part where you point out that Duke's religious opinions are not to be seriously considered. That's the part I offer you a high five for.
That's not surprising. The Catholic church is pro-Evo.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
TF is that supposed to mean?
Not meant to be offensive though I have a habit of writing that way. So, it doesn't mean anything really. Hornswin jumped in too. Battle lines will start to get drawn and that wasn't what I meant for this to become.

Reactions: 40A

HornsWin

Dec 13, 2013
That's not surprising. The Catholic church is pro-Evo.
That is over-simplifying, but yes, the Catholic Church does not see evolution as being in opposition to the Christian God, so long as it is believed that God is behind it all.

• Sad
Reactions: Duke Silver