Giving Up Darwin

JG

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
Holy ****ing **** you have no idea what you’re even talking about. Stick to your dumb engineering.
Said a dumb lawyer.

The idea that people in the Middle Ages believed in the idea of human rights is ludicrous. They had no right to choose who governed them, no right to choose how or who to worship, no right to a trial if accused.

I can't believe I'm even having this discussion.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
Said a dumb lawyer.

The idea that people in the Middle Ages believed in the idea of human rights is ludicrous. They had no right to choose who governed them, no right to choose how or who to worship, no right to a trial if accused.

Me neither.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
Said a dumb lawyer.

And just a reminder that your original statement was that human rights are “relatively new” and not that medieval peoples had fewer rights than we have now. But you changed the subject because you’re a dumb and disingenuous ****bird.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
And just a reminder that your original statement was that human rights are “relatively new” and not that medieval peoples had fewer rights than we have now. But you changed the subject because you’re a dumb and disingenuous ****bird.
Combining replies...the Magna Carta didn't give the Englishmen the right to choose who governed them. Or the right to worship as they pleased. Or the right to speak out against the King.

And it sure didn't give the humans they enslaved any rights either.

The idea of human rights, as we view them, is relatively new, historically speaking. I keep seeing the last scene of Game of Thrones where someone tosses out the idea that the people could vote, and all of the nobles broke out laughing.

Besides all this, if you weren't so busy trying to attack me just because, you'd see that you are defending the idea that Christianity is responsible for advances in humanity in the last several hundred years. That's false.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
you'd see that you are defending the idea that Christianity is responsible for advances in humanity in the last several hundred years.
You are truly retarded. Literally slow.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
I have to admit, I put JG on ignore a couple of weeks ago because, well, everyone knows. Doing so means I don't see his comments nor do I see them in replies to his comments. That makes this entire thread incredibly entertaining because I have no idea when or what he is saying, but it's very obvious from the replies that it is he who is saying it. It has me laughing out loud.

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
barkingcarnival.fantake.com
Compare the development of rights in this era compared to 500 or 1000 years ago. Compare the development of the idea that the people have the right to decide how they are governed. That slavery is evil. That women are not property.

The Nazis and communists and their murderous ways are not new. The idea that a government would take power and kill a bunch of the opposition is characteristically human. And it was done by the Christian Church itself too.

The development of the idea that humans have rights is relatively new. It didn’t happen because of Christianity. It happened because humans matured, and in this case their religion matured with them.

And like I said, the biggest problem with Islam is that it, unlike Christianity, remains rooted deeply in the Middle Ages.
Cyrus freed the slaves, established freedom of religion and declared all races are equal.... before 500 BC.

That's over 2,500 years ago.

AKA not new.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
Cyrus freed the slaves, established freedom of religion and declared all races are equal.... before 500 BC.

That's over 2,500 years ago.

AKA not new.
That was going to be my next one.

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
barkingcarnival.fantake.com
That was going to be my next one.
Was also going to point out that the pyramids weren't built by slaves, and that ancient Egyptian women could hold office, be Pharaoh, divorce and own property.

It's not that odd that "progressivism" comes and goes in cycles. It is humorous that progressives today think we're at the tip of some moral spear. We just let women vote a hundred years ago. Segregation was outlawed less than 70 years ago.

Reactions: PFD and Duke Silver

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Was also going to point out that the pyramids weren't built by slaves, and that ancient Egyptian women could hold office, be Pharaoh, divorce and own property.

It's not that odd that "progressivism" comes and goes in cycles. It is humorous that progressives today think we're at the tip of some moral spear. We just let women vote a hundred years ago. Segregation was outlawed less than 70 years ago.
All that's fine. Don't try to tell me it happened because #Jesus.