Giving Up Darwin

Duke Silver

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
That's what I thought was weird about the video. They were acting like this is new. It's not. It's marketing.

But Berlinski is a rarefied genius so I enjoy hearing him in the same sense that I like when Christopher Hitchens. Not many like them around anymore.

And Steven C Meyer is a heavyweight in his own right, another man I enjoy listening to because he understands the why? behind much of science and doesn't just regurgitate facts.
Don’t know Berlinski but apparently that Getlernter got bombed by Kazinsky, who, reminder, was a virgin.

Last edited:

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
Apologia
But in your hearts set Christ apart [as holy—acknowledging Him, giving Him first place in your lives] as Lord. Always be ready to give a [logical] defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope and confident assurance [elicited by faith] that is within you, yet [do it] with gentleness and respect.
Opiate of the masses.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
Every time I take a sh*t, the theory of intelligent design is destroyed.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
I thought you said you knew the NT better than me? Anybody who studies the word knows sanctification and taking of our cross and following Him is nothing like taking a feel-good drug.
That was a joke. I don’t know **** about the New Testament besides the basics because I don’t care.

acreativeusername

Nov 27, 2016
Most people who believe in creation theory don't allow for the timeframe necessary for "classical" marco-evolutionary processes to operate. Most of the model is challenged on the grounds that the generations-required timeframes won't work.

Intelligent design people tend to operate on a spectrum, with some who think it's 100% true, to others who think it's wholly inaccurate.
Macro-evolution being speciation, micro evolution being small stuff like different colored hair.
I guess I’m a lot more in the intelligent design camp. @40A are you a strict creationist? Maybe I misinterpreted your responses to me

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that you were a fan of Dawkins and NDTyson.
I’ve read the Selfish Gene and seen Tyson on tv. Don’t know what it means to be a fan of them though. I don’t keep up with them.

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
barkingcarnival.fantake.com
Back to the video, at around 10 mins Belinski immediately brings controversy to the subject.

Berlinski, looking like Christopher Llyod as Doc Brown and Mick Jagger, uses haughty nerdspeak to define the progress of modern evolutionary theory as regression by discovery.

Which is true.

Reactions: HornsWin

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
Yessir. I used to subscribe to be in the camp of those who think God used Evolution as a means of Intelligent Design but I don't live there no mo.
You think Adam and Eve were real people and Noah’s ark happened?

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Some theory of evolution and theism, even Christian theism, can certainly co-exist. What probably can't coexist is a literal interpretation of Genesis 1 alongside evolutionary theory, but the former is not required in Judaism or Christianity.

That said, I do think there are real issues in Darwinian evolution that are not talked about in the typical textbook, and some of these problems are being brought up in the scientific literature by geneticists and microbiologists (though I'm not saying that they're throwing out evolution as a concept wholesale). There seem to be more and more people that are concluding that the Neo-Darwinian formula of "random mutation + natural selection" doesn't have enough explanatory power to cover the history of life as we know it. And I think it is healthy to have these discussions; Darwinism, unfortunately, has become something like dogma at the university, and they shouldn't be treating any theory like that.
You may have just given the Cliff's version of this guys thinking.

HornsWin

Dec 13, 2013
Yes - I subscribe to the literal interpretation of the Bible and believe it's of the utmost importance in understanding the full Bible in proper context.
I finally understand why you and I were at such loggerheads all those months ago. I disagree with your literal interpretation, but appreciate your candor.

Reactions: bHero and 40A

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
barkingcarnival.fantake.com
Some theory of evolution and theism, even Christian theism, can certainly co-exist. What probably can't coexist is a literal interpretation of Genesis 1 alongside evolutionary theory, but the former is not required in Judaism or Christianity.

That said, I do think there are real issues in Darwinian evolution that are not talked about in the typical textbook, and some of these problems are being brought up in the scientific literature by geneticists and microbiologists (though I'm not saying that they're throwing out evolution as a concept wholesale). There seem to be more and more people that are concluding that the Neo-Darwinian formula of "random mutation + natural selection" doesn't have enough explanatory power to cover the history of life as we know it. And I think it is healthy to have these discussions; Darwinism, unfortunately, has become something like dogma at the university, and they shouldn't be treating any theory like that.
Missed this in the banter. Well said, sir.