GoT Final Season

Ktown777

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Nov 8, 2015
With how much still needs to be played out I’m a little nervous about how this thing is going to manage to get wrapped up in the next 80 minutes. Can’t wait for next week.

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
I know I’m on the episode high, but that may be the best GoT episode of all time. It’s up there with Blackwater, Hardhomme, Sept, etc. So many beautiful shots, perfect dialogue during chaos, tug at all the emotions. Holy ****.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
I know I’m on the episode high, but that may be the best GoT episode of all time. It’s up there with Blackwater, Hardhomme, Sept, etc. So many beautiful shots, perfect dialogue during chaos, tug at all the emotions. Holy ****.
definitely, especially if you ignore the continued ruin of Tyrion character early in the episode

Reactions: Ktown777

eodhorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 24, 2018
Surprise, Arizona
If this episode says anything, it’s that dragons is all you need. That also fits the lore. Holy ****. My prediction:

A Stark kills Danny. Jon err Aegon sits on something since there is no throne left I assume.

Reactions: Jdhmills

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Don’t know if someone else said this, but the prophecy about Arya closing green eyes...

Dany has green eyes...

TexanBlood

Jan 22, 2010
Wish it was dos bobby's porch
I liked it too....I was able to see people get killed and didn't have to adjust the brightness of my TV.

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
I’m still really pissed how much of the prophecies they’ve completely ignored, but whatever. D&D weren’t going to be able to tie it in a bow without GRRM, but I’m starting to think GRRM has no way of doing it either.

So happy someone finally learned how to zig zag when avoiding arrows and Dany uses the sun to her advantage. Dracarys, mother ****ers!

rodofdisaster

Nov 27, 2016
Northeast USA
I thought, overall, it was very good. The sense of chaos and Dany bringing her badass self to bear was great.

I had a real problem with Cersei's demise though. We spend 7+ seasons hating her ass and everyone and their dragon is after her...and she meets THAT end? Really? Seriously?

Tywin on the crapper with the crossbow. Now THAT was imagination.

Littlefinger in Winterfell. THAT was a death.

Ygritte. THAT was a death.

Cersei runs down to the basement and gets hit in the head by a brick.

njohnson12

Member Who Talks
Nov 18, 2009
Episode had its share of holes, but was much better than the last couple.

Dont get why they wrote in Euron and Jaime's fight. Completely pointless. Or why they included Eurons character in the series at all for that matter. Was a little disappointed that I waited 8 seasons just to see a ceiling fall on Cersei's head too.

clark griswold

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2016
Wally World
I’m sorry but that was total dog****. Absolute worst direction they could’ve taken this story. Only thing I liked was Tyrion and Jamie’s last moment as well as Arya and the hound. The last three episodes have not been good. Really disappointed in the direction this story went. I was so irritated I couldn’t even enjoy Clegane bowl. It was total cheese anyway.

clark griswold

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2016
Wally World
George Lucas was on set and this whole season feels like weak Star Wars stuff. Not GoT. Should’ve called in Vince Gillian instead to teach them about how to wrap up a story. Very disappointed.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
I’m sorry but that was total dog****. Absolute worst direction they could’ve taken this story. Only thing I liked was Tyrion and Jamie’s last moment as well as Arya and the hound. The last three episodes have not been good. Really disappointed in the direction this story went. I was so irritated I couldn’t even enjoy Clegane bowl. It was total cheese anyway.
did you think danny and jon were going to march into King's Landing victorious and be happy ever after?

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
Nope. I knew going in there would be no happy endings. But the whole set up of the mad queen story doesn’t work for me. It’s either bad execution or bad story telling. Just makes no sense.
disagree, all the things she's been experiencing are molding and changing her. Targaryens are by and large bad news and terrible rulers. There were like 3-4 decent ones in their entire history. They are also are easily pushed into insanity by loss.

eodhorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 24, 2018
Surprise, Arizona
disagree, all the things she's been experiencing are molding and changing her. Targaryens are by and large bad news and terrible rulers. There were like 3-4 decent ones in their entire history. They are also are easily pushed into insanity by loss.
Ya the first one was a pretty good ruler. If I remember in “A World of Fire and Ice” they actually had a decent amount of good rulers. Been pretty bad for the last 4 or so though.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
Waiting until two dragons died for the dragons to become invincible doesn’t.
well that part no, thought you meant episode in general. Ill give the ice king his dragon kill, was poorly done but overall within his capabilities. The second dragon kill was stupid, if it was going to die it should have died due to wounds from the ice dragon battle. Not to oversized crossbows that defy all natural laws.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
Ya the first one was a pretty good ruler. If I remember in “A World of Fire and Ice” they actually had a decent amount of good rulers. Been pretty bad for the last 4 or so though.
I read fire and Ice and most of them were terrible/flawed/descended into madness. There were a small number of decent ones.

theelusiveshadow

Nov 2, 2016
This episode had some good moments, and finally a dragon doesn't seem totally useless (and magically, the plot now demands that the physics defying scorpions actually now have trouble shooting a fast moving target and reloading).

Unfortunately, the Mad Queen angle is completely unearned. They had to assassinate Daenerys' character to get here with very little development. There's nothing in Dany's past that would lead us to believe that she would ahead and burn the whole city even when the battle is won and the soldiers surrendered. In fact, she could have simply burned down the Red Keep and left the rest of the city mostly alone... which is what she could have done when she first got to Westeros.

They undid several seasons worth of character development for Jaime. Awful writing. I'm stunned how stupid that was. At least Cersei's arrogance actually had consequences this time, but the whole thing was ridiculous. Even Cleganebowl was pretty underwhelming and pointless because everyone was going to die anyway.

And God knows how the entire army got there before Arya and Sandor when they had a headstart and it's just two of them.

This is just what GoT is now. Everyone else seems to be doing their job pretty well, but the writers mailed it in a long time ago. It's unfortunate.

clark griswold

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2016
Wally World
This episode had some good moments, and finally a dragon doesn't seem totally useless (and magically, the plot now demands that the physics defying scorpions actually now have trouble shooting a fast moving target and reloading).

Unfortunately, the Mad Queen angle is completely unearned. They had to assassinate Daenerys' character to get here with very little development. There's nothing in Dany's past that would lead us to believe that she would ahead and burn the whole city even when the battle is won and the soldiers surrendered. In fact, she could have simply burned down the Red Keep and left the rest of the city mostly alone... which is what she could have done when she first got to Westeros.

They undid several seasons worth of character development for Jaime. Awful writing. I'm stunned how stupid that was. At least Cersei's arrogance actually had consequences this time, but the whole thing was ridiculous. Even Cleganebowl was pretty underwhelming and pointless because everyone was going to die anyway.

And God knows how the entire army got there before Arya and Sandor when they had a headstart and it's just two of them.

This is just what GoT is now. Everyone else seems to be doing their job pretty well, but the writers mailed it in a long time ago. It's unfortunate.
Thank you for articulating my thoughts eloquently. Especially the mad queen part. With more time and development it might have delivered believably.

I hate that I’m not loving this final season after almost a decade of investment. I was so hyped to love it, but like you said it feels rushed and mailed in. Cheese and spectacle over substance and payoffs.

austintx26

Sep 25, 2017
Thank you for articulating my thoughts eloquently. Especially the mad queen part. With more time and development it might have delivered believably.

I hate that I’m not loving this final season after almost a decade of investment. I was so hyped to love it, but like you said it feels rushed and mailed in. Cheese and spectacle over substance and payoffs.
I am on the same page as you and the shadow. The mad queen flip had no nuance to it. There can be no debate between characters about whether or not she crossed the line and can be a competent ruler. She won the war, and then committed a genocide because she was sad her friend died? The visual effects were cool, but she went so mad queen that I grew tired watching the city systematically get leveled. Not even Cersei would kill that many civilians for no reason.

clark griswold

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2016
Wally World
I am on the same page as you and the shadow. The mad queen flip had no nuance to it. There can be no debate between characters about whether or not she crossed the line and can be a competent ruler. She won the war, and then committed a genocide because she was sad her friend died? The visual effects were cool, but she went so mad queen that I grew tired watching the city systematically get leveled. Not even Cersei would kill that many civilians for no reason.
D&D may as well go full heel. Have Jon go mad King in one episode too with no setup. Overthrow Dany. Steal Drogon fly North, roast Winterfell, because he’s a little mad Sansa spilled the beans. Then **** it fly North of the Wall and roast Ghost and the freefolk. Because **** it why not? Then marry Yara Greyjoy. Boom, no one will see that coming. Then Jon rebuilds the iron throne and out of no where Arya rides in on her magic horse and kills Jon.

This is the kind of BS the show is asking me to believe.

austintx26

Sep 25, 2017
D&D may as well go full heel. Have Jon go mad King in one episode too with no setup. Overthrow Dany. Steal Drogon fly North, roast Winterfell, because he’s a little mad Sansa spilled the beans. Then **** it fly North of the Wall and roast Ghost and the freefolk. Because **** it why not? Then marry Yara Greyjoy. Boom, no one will see that coming. Then Jon rebuilds the iron throne and out of no where Arya rides in on her magic horse and kills Jon.

This is the kind of BS the show is asking me to believe.
Yep. I understand that traumatic life experiences can change people, but I don't think you can go from someone who spent several seasons trying to free slaves to someone who commits a genocide overnight. This show used to specialize in complex grey characters in which the viewer had to make the tough decision on whether or not they were righteous. I just don't see that with the mad queen at this point. There is no possible redemption after destroying an entire city. I will just be tuning in to see who takes her out on Sunday.

It has been tough to watch the character of Tyrion be completely destroyed over the last two seasons. Nice moment with his brother, but he has made bad decision after bad decision. I thought it was leading to an opportunity for him to make a clever decision that saved lives. Instead, he is basking in regret for not backing Varys.

I have read several complaints that this season has been rushed, but it was no more apparent than Varys being executed for his doubt in Daenerys, and then seeing his fears come true in a span of about 20 minutes.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
I still just don't understand why they felt they had to present this season this way. It's been so rushed, so crammed into a few episodes...why?? They are making a ton of money off of it.

TexanBlood

Jan 22, 2010
Wish it was dos bobby's porch
I still just don't understand why they felt they had to present this season this way. It's been so rushed, so crammed into a few episodes...why?? They are making a ton of money off of it.
I recently heard somewhere that D&D just didn’t wanna do anymore for whatever reason and that HBO had an unlimited budget for them. But yeah I think we could’ve benefited from an extra season instead of fewer longer episodes.

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
I recently heard somewhere that D&D just didn’t wanna do anymore for whatever reason and that HBO had an unlimited budget for them. But yeah I think we could’ve benefited from an extra season instead of fewer longer episodes.
They didn’t want to keep writing fan fiction and trying to tie all these loose ends together. GRRM being a bitch and refusing to help on any of the plots/scripts was final straw.

Robert STRONG

Jan 12, 2015
You've articulated my points perfectly. The writers needed the scorpions to have pinpoint accuracy last week so they did. This week, they needed the scorpions to be completely useless, so they were. What changed in a week? If anything, they should have been more effective as there were more of them, and more on stationary, level ground rather than moving ships. Did any of the scorpions on the walls even fire? Towards the beginning of the episode, Tyrion tells Jaime "There won't be an iron fleet" quite confidently despite seeing how easily the same ships/scorpions neutralized the dragons only a week or so earlier. How did he know Dany and Drogon would be so effective this time? And if she could have destroyed them so easily, why didn't she circle around and do so last episode? It would have saved her friend's life, which is evidently worth more than the population of King's Landing.

The Mad King developed over many years, with many slights and betrayals, real or imagined, along the way. The Mad Queen developed over 1.5 episodes/a couple of weeks. "The North doesn't like me", "My servant was killed", "I lost a dragon", "Jon won't **** me" are not believable reasons for Dany to burn down an entire city that has just surrendered. The past hints D&D point to during the "inside the episode" piece do not justify it either. I think this is another case of GRRM telling them Dany would burn King's Landing and they had no idea how to believably get there, especially in the rushed timeline they put on themselves.

Agreed. They had Jaime abandon all of his character growth just to die. It accomplished nothing, and didn't even lead to a satisfying death for the two of them. Horrible. I guess the Valonqar prophecy was also meaningless. Cool.

I thought Cleganebowl was ok. It was as good as they could make it given the amount of hype surrounding it. The Mountain quickly killing Qyburn at the beginning was a nice start. My only complaint about it was the cutting back and forth between that fight and Arya. We've waited 8 seasons for this, can we focus on it for 4 ****ing minutes? But whatever, it was a good scene.

This is the biggest problem with the last 2 seasons. D&D are tired of the show and want it to end. So they pushed for 2 shorter seasons, and simultaneously mailed it in. I think it's pretty obvious they had room for 2 full seasons at the very least, probably 3. But they wanted it to be over, and took shortcuts to get there. If they were so tired of the most popular show in TV history, they should have handed it off to someone else. It would have helped their own legacy at the very least. And HBO should have stepped in and demanded they either hand it over, or complete 2-3 full seasons. But at the same time, I doubt anyone at HBO would have the balls to fire D&D at the end of S6, with the show's popularity at an all time high. And I see a different timeline unfolding where either D&D are forced to leave, or forced to make the show longer, and we are complaining that HBO meddled with perfection and watered down the show to make more money.

It's a shame. I don't think this past episode was horrible all around, and actually it was one of the better episodes of the season. But that also shows how far its fallen from its peak.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Did anyone see Aaron Rodgers in the episode? He supposedly had a cameo.