GoT Final Season

mytopia32

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
I absolutely loved watching Danerys’ world crumble down around her upon learning what Jon told her. Just awesome. Great acting, and I didn’t mind it happening to that character.
The show is dropping heavy hints that the Iron Throne is really the only thing that matters to her in the end. So, if the main characters survive next week, and she then thinks any of them stand in her way...

Reactions: J Galt

J Galt

Feb 9, 2012
Lake Highlands, Dallas
The show is dropping heavy hints that the Iron Throne is really the only thing that matters to her in the end. So, if the main characters survive next week, and she then thinks any of them stand in her way...
Yeah, she started out as the breaker of chains. Now she’s just power-thirsty with a healthy dose of spite.

Reactions: Young Williams

clark griswold

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2016
Wally World
I think I’m finally giving up on my Tormund Brienne shipping. I don’t think she was digging the suckling on giants teet story.

Did not like an Arya sex scene. It was really weird after her being a kid for ten years.

I have an ugly feeling Jon dies next episode. Maybe saving Dany and their baby. Which awakens the good in Dany.

9/10 episode though. So much good stuff to unpack. I’m docking one point strictly for Arya bum and sideboob.

Reactions: Turnbo828

Robert STRONG

Jan 12, 2015
I think I’m finally giving up on my Tormund Brienne shipping. I don’t think she was digging the suckling on giants teet story.

Did not like an Arya sex scene. It was really weird after her being a kid for ten years.

I have an ugly feeling Jon dies next episode. Maybe saving Dany and their baby. Which awakens the good in Dany.

9/10 episode though. So much good stuff to unpack. I’m docking one point strictly for Arya bum and sideboob.
I totally get you on the Arya sex scene feeling weird...but it does seem weird we are cool with watching her brutally murder people, but her having consensual sex is where we draw the line.

That episode had so much heart, I loved every second of it.
- Watching Brienne get knighted was perfect, and probably a death sentence for her.
- Pod's song was perfect as well. Reminded me of LOTR.
- We saw Ghost! I think we probably get some Ghost action next week (most likely on the way to his death).
- Someone finally thought it was a good idea to talk to Bran. Good on you Tyrion.
- I like that they have some semblance of a battle plan rather than just fight the white walkers. Using Bran's advice to lure in the Night King seems sound. I doubt it will end up that simple. It's also cool they've incorporated dragon glass into so much.
- We saw an attempt at diplomacy from Dany. It didn't end up working, and she showed her true colors when Jon told her he was a Targ, but at least she tried.
- Speaking of which, I'm glad they didn't draw out the Targ reveal for the whole season. I suspect Jon and Dany will survive the battle. Seems like the obvious solution is for them to marry and rule together, but Dany may be against it. Don't really know where they are going to go with that.
- Arya's weapon is just a dual bladed staff? A bit disappointing after a week of buildup.
- The Mormont reunion was Lyanna telling Jorah to piss off.
- Tormund and Tyrion getting **** faced was a delight.
- There appeared to be a ton of White Walkers on the front line at the end. Probably more than we've seen together up to this point.

10isgod

Jan 29, 2012
I totally get you on the Arya sex scene feeling weird...but it does seem weird we are cool with watching her brutally murder people, but her having consensual sex is where we draw the line.

- Watching Brienne get knighted was perfect, and probably a death sentence for her.
- We saw Ghost! I think we probably get some Ghost action next week (most likely on the way to his death).
- Someone finally thought it was a good idea to talk to Bran. Good on you Tyrion.
- I like that they have some semblance of a battle plan rather than just fight the white walkers. Using Bran's advice to lure in the Night King seems sound. I doubt it will end up that simple. It's also cool they've incorporated dragon glass into so much.
- We saw an attempt at diplomacy from Dany. It didn't end up working, and she showed her true colors when Jon told her he was a Targ, but at least she tried.
- Speaking of which, I'm glad they didn't draw out the Targ reveal for the whole season. I suspect Jon and Dany will survive the battle. Seems like the obvious solution is for them to marry and rule together, but Dany may be against it. Don't really know where they are going to go with that.
- Arya's weapon is just a dual bladed staff? A bit disappointing after a week of buildup.
- There appeared to be a ton of White Walkers on the front line at the end. Probably more than we've seen together up to this point.
A few thoughts:
- Pod's song was definitely an ode to Pippin before the battle of Helms Deep, very similar end of the world setting.
- Although i have zero desire to see anything bad happen to Ghost, I see him as expendable now. Now that it is known that Jon (Aegon) is a Targaryen and can ride a dragon, the Direwolf of House Stark no longer belongs to him.

Jonathan Wells

Dec 18, 2012
Arlington, TX
I've read the theory he's not going to show up in Episode 3 and he's taking his dragon to start a new army of the dead from the south. Think that'd be a little underwhelming, but we will see.
I've had a thought that the Night King + ice dragon or a white walker spy or something would find its way to King's Landing and start turning the population there to build up another undead army and ultimately force Jon Snow, Daenerys and company to fight the walkers on two fronts. And I've had this thought (perhaps others have too) that the Mountain would either become a super-wight or would somehow be resistant to the white walkers' magic due to Qyburn's experiments on him.

Last edited:

Robert STRONG

Jan 12, 2015
A few thoughts:
- Pod's song was definitely an ode to Pippin before the battle of Helms Deep, very similar end of the world setting.
- Although i have zero desire to see anything bad happen to Ghost, I see him as expendable now. Now that it is known that Jon (Aegon) is a Targaryen and can ride a dragon, the Direwolf of House Stark no longer belongs to him.
I'm just happy they didn't forget about him completely.

TexanBlood

Jan 22, 2010
Wish it was dos bobby's porch
I've had a thought that the Night King + ice dragon or a white walker spy or something would find its way to King's Landing and start turning the population there to build up another undead army and ultimately force Jon Snow, Danaerys and company to fight the walkers on two fronts. And I've had this thought (perhaps others have too) that the Mountain would either become a super-wight or would somehow be resistant to the white walkers' magic due to Qyburn's experiments on him.
The Golden Company, which are the best mercenaries, become white walkers. Hmmm.

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
This was one of the most sincere/beautiful scenes in GoT history. Brienne getting what she's always wanted (and deserved) by the man she's in love with. Think it was also a perfect arch for Jamie, from being the guy with no honor at all to everyone watching him knight someone else. Agreed that I think she dies and I'm curious if Jamie/Tormund/Podrick have to kill the wight version of herself.

Her and Grey Worm becomming Wights is going to hurt like a bitch for me. I watched HP DH Part 1 yesterday and I raised a question, who will be the character that hurts the most when they die this season much like Dobby in that movie? I think those two would hurt me the most.

I paused it to look over the sheet at that moment and saw that it was a staff. However, the staff can be broken into two pieces based on the drawing, so she'd dual wield smaller staffs. I think it's awesome given her time with a staff when she was a 'blind girl.' She learned to fight in darkness with a staff and became no one, will defend her family/die as no one if need be.

Agree on this point. People loved seeing her slit the throat of Frey, but no a consensual sex scene with the dude she's been in love with since she was 13 is disturbing for us. I think as someone who started the series so long ago, I saw her grow up 'in real time' and she's no longer the 12 year old she was when Rob rode through the gates.

Lastly, does Sansa love Theon as that much of a protector/brother or are they madly in love? That was a crazy development last night. I know it may be b/c of him saving her from Ramsey, but man those were some real tears and longing eyes.

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
the Direwolf of House Stark no longer belongs to him.
I disagree with this. During the best years of Westeros, the Targaryans had very good relationships with the Northerners and the Starks in particular. They discuss this in the prequel book released. I believe that Rhaegar's obsession with prophecies made him believe the way to end all tyranny and bring together the realm from darkness was to reunite the houses. He was also madly in love with her so that tended to help the situation.

Jon (Aegon) being a wolf/dragon is the key to the entire series by blending fire/ice. Dismissing Ghost is essentially saying his northern piece doesn't apply anymore. Losing Ghost will hurt, all the dog deaths since getting my pup have been the hardest to watch for me.

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
It's the former. It better be the former. If it's the latter, I'd be horrified.
I'd agree with the horrified aspect, but Sansa could see Theon as the only person in the world who fully understands her and what she's gone through. May be the person she trusts most in the world now too (except maybe Brienne?) and people have fallen in love with someone for less.

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
I will add the scene between Jamie/Bran was a beautiful way to add in the full arch that Jamie has taken as a person in the show. Bran understanding that Jamie thought he was protecting his family/realm by pushing him out the window and the idea that time is a flat circle/that had to happen to become who he is today.

The burden that I believe Jamie has carried of being the dishonorable and the weight of what he did to Bran was finally relieved. Makes me believe that was his swan song as well, still think he dies saving one of the girls, but glad he got his forgiveness.

Robert STRONG

Jan 12, 2015
I'd agree with the horrified aspect, but Sansa could see Theon as the only person in the world who fully understands her and what she's gone through. May be the person she trusts most in the world now too (except maybe Brienne?) and people have fallen in love with someone for less.
I didn't get the romantic vibes, but I'm seeing this elsewhere as well so who knows. I went from not caring about Theon to rooting for him protecting Bran, so good job on the writers on that one. Glad they got the Yara rescue out of the way early.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
That was dragon glass spiked atop of the Winterfell battlements, right? It's kind of crazy the attention to minute detail like this we've seen in this season compared to the whole playing fast and loose with space and time, jetpacking chaos of the last one.

Reactions: rawb_stark

Robert STRONG

Jan 12, 2015
That was dragon glass spiked atop of the Winterfell battlements, right? It's kind of crazy the attention to minute detail like this we've seen in this season compared to the whole playing fast and loose with space and time, jetpacking chaos of the last one.
They have dragon glass on the giant barricade/caltrop looking things as well.

Reactions: rawb_stark

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
They have dragon glass on the giant barricade/caltrop looking things as well.
Added moats to funnel the wights as well, think they put dragon glass spearing out of it as well. It's awesome attention to detail, but funny no one bats an eye how fast they've gotten all of it set up.

Robert STRONG

Jan 12, 2015
Added moats to funnel the wights as well, think they put dragon glass spearing out of it as well. It's awesome attention to detail, but funny no one bats an eye how fast they've gotten all of it set up.
They do have a ton of man power with nothing else to do but prepare for this fight, so I'm cool with it.

They keep talking about how safe the crypts are, something is definitely going down there.

Can you remember an episode without a single death? They really went 100% in on the calm before the storm.

Reactions: Turnbo828 and PFD

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
They do have a ton of man power with nothing else to do but prepare for this fight, so I'm cool with it.

They keep talking about how safe the crypts are, something is definitely going down there.

Can you remember an episode without a single death? They really went 100% in on the calm before the storm.
I don't really understand why the crypts which are literally full of bones/dead bodies, would be the safest place to be.

Reactions: Young Williams

smokeygoboom

Aug 21, 2018

- Agreed, the Brienne being knighted scene was great. The best part of the episode was their fireside chat. Tormund was very funny. Pod singing at the end was awesome. Jamie's character arch looked at home with them. I really liked that set up.
- I think the Tyrion and Bran conversation scene was important. We don't see what they actually talked about, but Tyrion's intellect was mentioned multiple times in that episode. And then, Tyrion goes and has a conversation with the guy who knows all of human history? Important.
- Danny wants the throne. That point is clear. "It has been my goal my whole life". Setting us up for some kind of sacrifice on someone's part (hers or otherwise). I've read too many theories by now to have a strong opinion on who lives and who dies, but they are setting up the death of either Danny or Jon pretty well.
- I actually really liked the Arya weapon. It was perfectly fitting for her training as a blind girl. Immediately flashed back to those scenes. So, agreed with @rawb_stark
- Jorah getting Sam's sword was cool. I'm sure half the cast dies in S8E3, but Jorah is my near 100% bet. He gave his final bit of advice to Danny - trust Tyrion. And then Jorah gets Sam's sword. Will be a cool death I think. He's been a good character.
- My surprise MVP scene of the episode was Theon telling Danny and Sansa he brought the iron born there to fight. I've grown very tired of the Greyjoy story, but then Theon's character did a great job of saying "look, death is coming and I just want to do what is right to help defend the castle I grew up in next to the people who became my family." Really liked that. Also, I didn't get the romance vibes at all. Sansa isn't looking for a hubby. Joffrey, Tyrion, Ramsey. She's very much over that. And Theon just wants some peace and redemption.

Overall, that was a great episode. I enjoyed it more than I expected to. Impressed with how they brought together reunions. It didn't feel overly forced or awkward (which I fully thought was going to happen). Pumped for next week.

J Galt

Feb 9, 2012
Lake Highlands, Dallas
eh, still not even remotely close to buying that. Theon horribly betrayed their family. He's trying to repent and atone. She's proud of him. That's it.
I didn't get the romantic vibes, but I'm seeing this elsewhere as well so who knows. I went from not caring about Theon to rooting for him protecting Bran, so good job on the writers on that one. Glad they got the Yara rescue out of the way early.
99% of fan theories on reddit and the like are total bulsh. "seeing it elsewhere" means nothing.

Reactions: PFD

clark griswold

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2016
Wally World
Agree on this point. People loved seeing her slit the throat of Frey, but no a consensual sex scene with the dude she's been in love with since she was 13 is disturbing for us. I think as someone who started the series so long ago, I saw her grow up 'in real time' and she's no longer the 12 year old she was when Rob rode through the gates.
For me I had no problem with her hooking up with Gendry. Actually it made total sense from a story perspective and who Arya is.

It was just awkward seeing Arya’s butt and sideboob. It would’ve been a better scene without her naked.

Jonathan Wells

Dec 18, 2012
Arlington, TX
For me I had no problem with her hooking up with Gendry. Actually it made total sense from a story perspective and who Arya is.

It was just awkward seeing Arya’s butt and sideboob. It would’ve been a better scene without her naked.
Definitely think it was a body double, but think Gendry seeing her scars (much like Dany seeing Jon's) will be a building aspect of their relationship. Couldn't have that moment without her getting naked.
https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/21/game-of-thrones-maisie-williams-gendry/

Turnbo828

Jun 2, 2014
Pearland, Tx
Definitely think it was a body double, but think Gendry seeing her scars (much like Dany seeing Jon's) will be a building aspect of their relationship. Couldn't have that moment without her getting naked.
For sure a body double. She ain’t got any boobies.