G'Water LB/DB boosts Bears to 4-0 start

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
GLADEWATER -- Austin Hawley is about that life.

Growing up in the negative and unique circumstances that were presented to him as a youth, the 6-foot-1, 205-pound athlete from the Bears of #bEASTtexas, Hawley is more tough-minded than most high school seniors.

His impact has led to a 4-0 early season start and been a delightful treat for Gladewater head coach David Berry. Hawley has 1 forced fumble, 2 INTs, 5 PBUs and four sacks and a crap load (more/less 25) of tackles in four games. Add a touchdown reception to that as well. He's doing it all.

Memphis, Tulsa, La Tech, ULM (offer), Lamar (offer), Nevada, Sam Houston, and UTSA are some of the schools pursuing the 3-star. He talks to La Tech a lot, while Texas Tech and Baylor have had more contact. He's also talked to Texas, where he attended the UT Camp in June and impressed the staff.

He took an unofficial to Memphis this weekend.

On Gladewater's great start
: "We have a mean attitude about the game," said Hawley. You can tell everybody there is serious and are ready to go into the game with 'bad intentions' in a good way."

On Memphis
: "The coaches there will tell you exactly what they think good or bad. Coaches and players there are all about business and I love it."

On moving from safety to a hybrid LB spot: " I like it a lot more in high school because I get to be in a lot more action as opposed to me out covering a wide out, who they won't likely throw the ball to anyway. I'd much rather be down making plays in the backfield and we'll as covering receivers on passing downs. It almost insures I'll be in the action every play. Whatever helps the team."

Here's some footage from 2016 of Austin Hawley.

Hawley was handed a bad hand in poker and is turning it into a Royal flush. I expect his recruiting to only increase near the end of the 2017 cycle.

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
My man Austin Hawley added a SE Louisiana offer last night. Visiting Houston this week.

Kid is playing amazing ball in 2016.