Head Coach Candidates

toranfiddes

Member Who Talks
Aug 22, 2020
1. Urban Meyer/Saban
2. Dabo Swimney/Brent Venables
3. Mario Cristobal
Aside from Meyer, not a chance in hell for these guys. Venables, maybe, but he wasn't worth a dry dump when he was in this league. Cristobal won't leave a great gig with Phil Knight; nor would Dabo leave an easy in to the playoffs at Clemson.

btown1110

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Jan 23, 2012
Aside from Meyer, not a chance in hell for these guys. Venables, maybe, but he wasn't worth a dry dump when he was in this league. Cristobal won't leave a great gig with Phil Knight; nor would Dabo leave an easy in to the playoffs at Clemson.
I have a slightly different memory of Venables in the Big 12...

toranfiddes

Member Who Talks
Aug 22, 2020
I have a slightly different memory of Venables in the Big 12...
Only by comparison to Mike Stoops. Venables had a couple of decent games in 2009. Aside from that, his D was little different from Mike's. In fact, it was bad enough that my late brother (an OU worshipper) wanted to strangle Venables daily. Venables has a bird's nest on the ground in Clemson. It's a private school with lots of money and no oversight. They play by SEC rules; i.e. baksheesh rules recruiting. He'd be a fool to leave and, should he, he'd be out of a job w/i 4 years, at most.

Reactions: tejas1955

HornInExile

Oct 29, 2008
Austin, Texas
Only by comparison to Mike Stoops. Venables had a couple of decent games in 2009. Aside from that, his D was little different from Mike's. In fact, it was bad enough that my late brother (an OU worshipper) wanted to strangle Venables daily. Venables has a bird's nest on the ground in Clemson. It's a private school with lots of money and no oversight. They play by SEC rules; i.e. baksheesh rules recruiting. He'd be a fool to leave and, should he, he'd be out of a job w/i 4 years, at most.
Actually Clemson is a public school. It is a land grant ag school for South Carolina similar to how Auburn is the big ag school in Alabama. Fancy name but really just another public school.

toranfiddes

Member Who Talks
Aug 22, 2020
Actually Clemson is a public school. It is a land grant ag school for South Carolina similar to how Auburn is the big ag school in Alabama. Fancy name but really just another public school.
My error. Oh well, "notable alum" - Strom Thurmond. I guess everyone has to go to college somewhere.

clayinva

Sep 9, 2020
Not having a single dog in this fight, barring a complete and utter collapse (like only winning 1 game the rest of the way bad) you probably aren't moving on from Herman for another year.

I think Meyer is the one name listed above that would be viable based on a proven track record, although he comes with a lot of baggage by now. I don't see Texas as a location for a first time head coach, which would count Venables out. Why would Saban ever leave Alabama short of retirement? And Swinney isn't going anywhere that isn't Alabama. Next head coach for UT should probably be someone who is currently coaching successfully in a P5 conference and 40% of those guys are sidelined at the moment.

freeman

Aug 11, 2014
Urban Meyer
Dabo Swinney
Brent Venables
Chris Petersen
Gary Patterson
Lincoln Riley
Mike Leach
Gus Malzahn

ttaghorn

Oct 29, 2008
New Braunfels, TX
Does anyone know Art Briles phone number. If we are considering Urban Meyer, why not him. He has lots of experience in our League, and he is a proven Winner, taking a pitifull Baylor program, that hadn't won anything in over 15 years and bringing it into a respectable era. No doubt his methods were a bit underhanded, but its Win or you are out, win at all costs, really isn't that what we all want for Texas. Lay the cards on the table we want to Win, the only issue is at what cost to our self esteem. If you ask the players they would likely agree the priority is to win and get to the NFl.

josephcook

Inside Texas Writer
Staff member
Feb 11, 2013
Austin
Does anyone know Art Briles phone number. If we are considering Urban Meyer, why not him. He has lots of experience in our League, and he is a proven Winner, taking a pitifull Baylor program, that hadn't won anything in over 15 years and bringing it into a respectable era. No doubt his methods were a bit underhanded, but its Win or you are out, win at all costs, really isn't that what we all want for Texas. Lay the cards on the table we want to Win, the only issue is at what cost to our self esteem. If you ask the players they would likely agree the priority is to win and get to the NFl.
Art Briles doesn’t deserve for his “second chance” to be a multi million dollar gig at UT. Mount Whatever seems about right.

ttaghorn

Oct 29, 2008
New Braunfels, TX
Art Briles doesn’t deserve for his “second chance” to be a multi million dollar gig at UT. Mount Whatever seems about right.
You may be right, but the issue with a new hire seems hinged on past background, not Coaching ability. He is at Mount Vernon, last I heard. Since he's not making mega bucks now, why would he expect us to pay him mega money, afterall we would be giving him a chance to return to a big time program. Not making a case for him, just pointing out some of the facts on this matter. Briles past didn't seem to bother Mt. Vernon in hiring him on, they are also looking for a guy that can give them Wins.

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015
You may be right, but the issue with a new hire seems hinged on past background, not Coaching ability. He is at Mount Vernon, last I heard. Since he's not making mega bucks now, why would he expect us to pay him mega money, afterall we would be giving him a chance to return to a big time program. Not making a case for him, just pointing out some of the facts on this matter. Briles past didn't seem to bother Mt. Vernon in hiring him on, they are also looking for a guy that can give them Wins.
The background differences between Urban Meyer & Art Briles are about as vast as the Grand Canyon

Reactions: KBrown and bHero

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015
Agreed, but as I said it didn't hinder a Texas High School from signing him up to Coach young kids, not young adults.
Your original post stated if we're considering Urban Meyer, why not Art Briles as they both have background issues. There's a significant, overwhelming issue with the background differences between both coaches; it's really not even close.

Geoff Eneman

Nov 17, 2015
Monroe, LA formerly of Longview, TX
I have my guys listed by tiers:

Tier 1 are national title winning coaches
Urban is the only realistic candidate of that group. We missed our chance at Saban. Thanks Mack.

Tier 2 coaches are guys who have been successful at P5 jobs for <5 years or multiple stops:
James Franklin, Dan Mullen, Mike Gundy, Mike Leach and maybe Justin Fuente. Of those I think Franklin, Mullen and Fuente are the only ones I'd truly look at and if we are going to spend the money on actually firing TH then Franklin and Mullen are really the only two of those that make sense.

Tier 3 coaches are G5 guys on their way up or P5 coaches with less success:
Mario Christobal, Matt Campbell, Luke Fickell, Bryan Harsin, Justin Wilcox, Chris Klieman, Billy Napier, Josh Huepel, Herm Edwards or Jeff Brohm
It would be really, really hard to justify spending the money to pay off TH and then hire one of these guys, even if they could possibly end up being a good hire. I just do not see the people we need to write the checks doing so and then watching us hire someone from this list. Not saying it's impossible, but a much longer shot.

It's pretty much Urban or bust IMO. Maybe Franklin or Mullen, but both could be damn near impossible to actually hire given where they are currently. Going to be interesting to see what happens moving forward on the field because if things don't turn around quickly the noise is going to get louder and louder and the price for UM could go higher and higher.

KBrown

Oct 29, 2008
No doubt his methods were a bit underhanded, but its Win or you are out, win at all costs, really isn't that what we all want for Texas.
My daughter was an athlete at Baylor when Briles was there.
I won't get into details, but if Texas hires Briles, I'm burning my diploma and all my Texas SWAG.

**** Art Briles with a rusty chainsaw running at full throttle.

ttaghorn

Oct 29, 2008
New Braunfels, TX
My daughter was an athlete at Baylor when Briles was there.
I won't get into details, but if Texas hires Briles, I'm burning my diploma and all my Texas SWAG.

**** Art Briles with a rusty chainsaw running at full throttle.
I don't possess the info you obviously have at your desposal, but I do have some info on his Coaching tech's at Stephenville, and they were shall we say questionable. It should be noted that since he left their program has not been anything a successfull as when he was there. Never said he wasn't a scum bag, but at what level do our alumni want to win?

coolhorn

Nov 11, 2013
Urban Meyer until he says no
Chris Peterson until he says no
Gus Malzahn
Mike Gundy

If none of these names are possible this year, ride with Herman one more year and then make a move.

kevinbelt

Oct 15, 2020
Luke Fickell is the head coach of a currently-undefeated team. Why would he accept a coordinator position in a rebuild?

Why not just suggest Saban as DC and Lincoln Riley as OC? Either of those would be more likely than DC Fickell.

Last edited:

rmannucci

Member Who Talks
Dec 4, 2019
Yes What Defensive Coordinator Tho
I have no clue, maybe he brings his coordinator from Florida, or Muschamp if/when he gets fired.... don't know honestly, was just throwing Mullen's name out there to see what the board thought.

josephcook

Inside Texas Writer
Staff member
Feb 11, 2013
Austin
Why would Mullen leave?

Why would Sark make a lateral move when he can probably jump to a HC spot?

Why would Fickell make a step down from HC to coordinator?

What is appealing about a Gus who is getting fired at Auburn?