Hey Alcoholics, need help

NORTHTEXHORN

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
I never drink Scotch Whiskey but if I was to buy some for a buddy, what's a good one to get? I'm a beer guy, not a sophisticated tea sip!

Reactions: Sneezybeltran

Zombie_Slayer

Oct 2, 2013
I never drink Scotch Whiskey but if I was to buy some for a buddy, what's a good one to get? I'm a beer guy, not a sophisticated tea sip!
What is your budget? I am a big fan of Balvenie single barrel 15 year old. You could spend a lot less and get a single malt though.

Reactions: Garylblack7

BluffviewHorn

Jan 24, 2012
Dallas
This. You can never really go wrong with Macallan. Just about every scotch drinker will enjoy it.
I'm sure you will get opinions all over the place on this thread, but these will sit well with any scotch drinker.

Technically I prefer Cragganmore over Macallan, but I still really enjoy Macallan. Even though I have a different personal preference... if I were gifting gifting a scotch bottle to someone of an unknown scotch preference... I would go with Macallan. It has a broader appeal than my personal preference.

10isgod

Jan 29, 2012
You can easily drop a ton of cash on beer too, I have a closet full of bombers that I'm aging.

Reactions: idighorns

NORTHTEXHORN

Oct 29, 2008
My brother and I can spend a little, not that worried. But don't break the damn bank. I drink expensive beer so a little splurge on the Scotch isn't all bad!

BluffviewHorn

Jan 24, 2012
Dallas
A bottle of monkey shoulder costs ~$30, and has a better flavor profile than any single malts in that price range. I don't usually start going single malt until I get +$50.
Total Wine has Glenlivet for $35. Some other Singles for less than that. The $5 bucks is worth it to get Single. Not that I'm a big Glenlivet fan, but it's drinkable.

10isgod

Jan 29, 2012
Total Wine has Glenlivet for $35. Some other Singles for less than that. The $5 bucks is worth it to get Single. Not that I'm a big Glenlivet fan, but it's drinkable.
I have both at home, I prefer the Monkey Shoulder. I'm not saying that you cannot find single malts for around there, I'm saying I prefer some of the blends to most single malt 10 yr scotches.

Reactions: PearlandHorn

BluffviewHorn

Jan 24, 2012
Dallas
My brother and I can spend a little, not that worried. But don't break the damn bank. I drink expensive beer so a little splurge on the Scotch isn't all bad!
Can you give us more of a guideline? <50, < 100, etc...?
If you get near the 100 range you can start getting some more unique things... single cask, sherry cask, etc... stuff that a lot of guys wouldn't buy for themselves, but would appreciate as a gift.

I just got my brother a bottle of oaked cognac. That is aimed for Cigar smokers. He wouldn't normally splurge for something like that, but he will appreciate as a gift. Especially since he's a cigar junky.

BluffviewHorn

Jan 24, 2012
Dallas
I have both at home, I prefer the Monkey Shoulder. I'm not saying that you cannot find single malts for around there, I'm saying I prefer some of the blends to most single malt 10 yr scotches.
I prefer my scotch "neat"... the blends that I can stand to drink that way generally cost significantly more than singles.
I haven't had Monkey, though... I'll have to give it a try sometime.

10isgod

Jan 29, 2012
I prefer my scotch "neat"... the blends that I can stand to drink that way generally cost significantly more than singles.
That's how I prefer mine as well, it's a nice blend.

NORTHTEXHORN

Oct 29, 2008
I guess between $50 and $100.

Grippe

Mar 6, 2009
There is not a single Scotch man on this planet, not a ONE, who would not be happy with a Glenmorangie 12 gift. They are the standard bearers for single malt whisky (note the spelling, it matters).

How much do you love your fellow man? Gauge your commitment then buy Glenmorangie.

Reactions: Sneezybeltran